Michelle Wie and the Tigers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Michelle Wie and the Tigers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Michelle Wie and the Tigers

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:52 pm

Let's face it - the Tigers are one of the worst teams in professional sports.

What they need to do is build for the future and generate interest today. My suggestion is to have 14 yr. old golf sensation Michelle Wie bat clean up for a home stand. She won't win any games for them - but seriously, what difference would it make? What do they have to lose?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:54 pm

If she could use her driver...it might not be a bad move.... :-b

But seriously...with the moves the Tigers have made in the off season...I do see them going in the right direction....Give them a little more time.... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:54 pm

especially if they land Pudge.... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:49 pm

They have taken a few steps forward with the lineup so far. Pudge would really help that. I'm hearing rumors that Detroit will be big in the free agent market next year for pitching. If that's true, then they might get a little more respectable.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: Michelle Wie and the Tigers

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:28 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Let's face it - the Tigers are one of the worst teams in professional sports.

What they need to do is build for the future and generate interest today. My suggestion is to have 14 yr. old golf sensation Michelle Wie bat clean up for a home stand. She won't win any games for them - but seriously, what difference would it make? What do they have to lose?

Heh, I find it enjoyable looking at the Tigers pessimism expressed by those outside of the area on this board. It's too bad. Prior to the late 80's, the Tigers were one of the better franchises in professional sports. They were competitive most every year (a few down years here and there). I'm a young guy, only 23, and can barely remember the good days myself. I'm just hoping we're at the beginning of a revival. Detroit is a great sports town and people here will support a team that actually is trying to win.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:47 am

Detroit is a great sports town, Tigers and Lions notwithstanding.

I have been to a few games at Joe Louis and the Red Wing fans are top notch. If I'm not mistaken, the Red Wings are the only professional sports team actually in Detroit.

I do not share the optimism about the Tigers though. The last issue of Baseball America gave the organization as a whole a grade of F, dead last in MLB (even behind the Expos). They gave the MLB team an F, the minor league teams a D, the talent level in the organization a C, their player procurement a D and organizational direction a D.

I have been watching the team for a while, since the Doyle Alexander/Alan Trammel teams used to battle my Jays for AL supremacy. Since then they seem to be the most apathetic team in prof sprots. They are losers and they don't seem to care.

But hope springs eternal - maybe Pudge can bring his winning ways to Motown. I still think that Wie will make just as much difference to these Sad Sacks IMO.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:20 pm

I guess it wouldn't hurt to give her a tryout. Maybe the Dodgers and Brewers ought to check her out too. Those teams'll be probably more desperate for offense than the Tigers this year.

One thing I'm happy about: the Tigers were the league's worst team last year, but we still outdrew the eventual World Series champs last year. Of course without some improvement, the same may not happen this coming year. A good team here would draw 25,000+ per game easy, probably more depending on how good they would be.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Detroit Tigers