Let's talk about Justin Morneau....... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Let's talk about Justin Morneau.......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Young 8 » Fri May 04, 2007 8:27 pm

2 LOB in the 1st inning

Young 8
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat May 05, 2007 12:45 am

Half Massed wrote:
AKhomebrewer wrote:I had him last season and he was far worse than this. He was sitting something like .239 in late May, with a bunch of homers but a whole lot more strikeouts and little else. Thought I was sitting on Dunn lite.
So I tried several attempts to deal him, but no takers.

Thank goodness. :-°

I got him off waivers last year. ;-D

I dropped him last year. :-[

Last year I thought this guy was definitely a sub-.300 slugger. Till he finished last season at .321 and an AL MVP award on his mantle. I went out this year and had to get him on my team.

Consider where you drafted the guy. I'd imagine you got him around the time someone else took Konerko. !+) :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Young 8 » Sat May 05, 2007 1:17 am

last chance tomorrow

If he doesn't hit against Tavarez....i will bench him for Agon
Young 8
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Sat May 05, 2007 8:37 am

Lofunzo wrote:
LiveForever wrote:batting average with RISP means absolutely nothing. Its just noise.

Means nothing?? I'd say that it means something. Not at this point of the season as a means to panic but it is definitely important.

Nope it means nothing. Its not predictive at all from year to year, its just random variation.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Sat May 05, 2007 11:48 pm

Ender wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
LiveForever wrote:batting average with RISP means absolutely nothing. Its just noise.

Means nothing?? I'd say that it means something. Not at this point of the season as a means to panic but it is definitely important.

Nope it means nothing. Its not predictive at all from year to year, its just random variation.

Just because it's not consistent doesn't mean that it's not important. I fail to see how getting hits with runners on 2nd and/or 3rd isn't important.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Young 8 » Sun May 06, 2007 5:14 pm

now it's

0.146 RISP
0.100 RISP w/2 outs

lol
Young 8
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun May 06, 2007 11:32 pm

Just because it's not consistent doesn't mean that it's not important. I fail to see how getting hits with runners on 2nd and/or 3rd isn't important.

A stat like RISP, that provides an extremely small sample size, and has been proven over time to correspond to the player's other statistics, doesn't actually matter. No decisions should be made based off this number. Therefore, it should theoretically not matter at all to anyone.

However, it's actually a good thing to know, and something that fantasy owners who need a 1B should look at. Morneau should start to see himself pick up more RBI over the coming months ;-D . So in that sense it does matter, because people who do not look at the RISP could sell you Morneau at a nice price...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby shasty mcnasty » Mon May 07, 2007 12:38 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:

A stat like RISP, that provides an extremely small sample size, and has been proven over time to correspond to the player's other statistics, doesn't actually matter. No decisions should be made based off this number. Therefore, it should theoretically not matter at all to anyone.

However, it's actually a good thing to know, and something that fantasy owners who need a 1B should look at. Morneau should start to see himself pick up more RBI over the coming months ;-D . So in that sense it does matter, because people who do not look at the RISP could sell you Morneau at a nice price...

exactly. it's not that hitting with RISP isn't important...sure it's important to your fantasy team...it's just that it doesn't really have any stand-alone meaning. it's just a part of his overall avg. as pointed out, however, it does mean that perhaps an astute buyer could get him at a discounted price if they thought that pointing out such nonsense might mean something to his owner. the related meaning is that this thread is meaningless except for whatever function it may serve as a vent.
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby Dhark » Mon May 07, 2007 12:57 pm

I have him and Konerko....I decided to start the neau. I am sure both of these guys will come around. Until then, Konerko will keep my bench warm where Sheffield was sitting. He has good company w/ Matsui. Don't worry Morneau will be fine. I have noticed his dip in average, but was not concerned. Too many players out there having slow starts to be overly concerned.
Dhark
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby rich101682 » Mon May 07, 2007 1:50 pm

Has he ever hit 3 HR in a game?

:*)
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)