Return to Baseball Leftovers

Adam LaRoche

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri May 04, 2007 10:57 am

Pirates4Life wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
byfrcp wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
byfrcp wrote:Well it's gunna be difficult for him to do worse than he did in April, but I still dont see 30 HR especially when PNC is home.

Except PNC has a short Right Field Porch :-?

Last year PNC ranked 2nd to last in HR givin up to lefties.

wow didn't know that. Thats weird considering its only 320 down the line there, maybe b/c that wall is like 25 feet :-?

Actually, it's 21 feet... it's the Roberto Clemente Wall and 21 was his number.

Thanks didn't know that. Am i right that it is short in Right Field, but the wall is high and thats why HR aren't going out?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigKahuna83 » Fri May 04, 2007 11:38 am

Just look at his Career Splits, He has hit .184 in April for his career.

April .184 .282 .354 .635
May .266 .317 .481 .798
June .263 .314 .431 .745
July .298 .352 .564 .917
August .288 .371 .535 .906
September .303 .356 .570 .926
October .333 .308 .583 .891

Just try to hang on, and stash him on the bench, he will heat up. I would pick him up if he is available on waivers, or buy low from an impatient owner.
BigKahuna83
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby schmidty » Fri May 04, 2007 2:04 pm

I wouldn't be worried if he was hitting close to 0.200. But down around 0.100?!? It's not just the home park thing - his AVG this year is a bit higher at home (but still a pitiful 0.138). Though he has no HRs at home, resulting in a microscopic 0.363 OPS. I'm being patient and holding on to him. Guys just don't forget how to hit overnight, do they?
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby markj11 » Fri May 04, 2007 2:14 pm

Did he quit taking his pills?
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pirates4Life » Fri May 04, 2007 2:22 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Pirates4Life wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
byfrcp wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
byfrcp wrote:Well it's gunna be difficult for him to do worse than he did in April, but I still dont see 30 HR especially when PNC is home.

Except PNC has a short Right Field Porch :-?

Last year PNC ranked 2nd to last in HR givin up to lefties.

wow didn't know that. Thats weird considering its only 320 down the line there, maybe b/c that wall is like 25 feet :-?

Actually, it's 21 feet... it's the Roberto Clemente Wall and 21 was his number.

Thanks didn't know that. Am i right that it is short in Right Field, but the wall is high and thats why HR aren't going out?

The wall is high, but I think the bigger factor is that the Pirates haven't had any left handed power hitters since Brian Giles. It's certainly not because the park is difficult for left handers (it's brutal on righties, though).

The Pirates lineup has been primarily right handed aside from a few left handed slap hitters like Chris Duffy, which is why the addition of Adam Laroche was so important in the offseason. So, left handed hitters who've hit HRs have been mostly on the opposition, and the Pirates have thrown a lot of left handed starters out there in the past couple years.

He'll turn it around. He's got a track record that says he will, and in order for him to end up with the kind of numbers I still expect him to, he's going to go on quite a tear sometime this summer.
Pirates4Life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby markj11 » Fri May 04, 2007 2:36 pm

Pirates4Life wrote:He'll turn it around. He's got a track record that says he will, and in order for him to end up with the kind of numbers I still expect him to, he's going to go on quite a tear sometime this summer.

I not sure about the track record. He had one decent year by 1B standards. Its not like the Braves had someone that he was blocking at 1B.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pirates4Life » Fri May 04, 2007 2:59 pm

markj11 wrote:
Pirates4Life wrote:He'll turn it around. He's got a track record that says he will, and in order for him to end up with the kind of numbers I still expect him to, he's going to go on quite a tear sometime this summer.

I not sure about the track record. He had one decent year by 1B standards. Its not like the Braves had someone that he was blocking at 1B.

Well, his track record is:

As a 24 year old, he batted .278 with 13 HRs in 324 ABs.
As a 25 year old, he batted .269 with 20 HRs in 411 ABs.
As a 26 year old, he batted .285 with 32 HRs in 492 ABs.

Not all good hitters just burst onto the scene and start raking right away. I don't expect him to be an all-star, but I do expect him to end up with numbers comparable to the last 2 years.

That's a pretty strong track record for a guy who's just now turning 27. I'm sure he's feeling a lot of pressure the way the Pittsburgh media (and even some of the players) treated him as some kind of savior to the offense, but he'll hit.
Pirates4Life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bceagles04 » Fri May 04, 2007 3:43 pm

2 words:

Buy Low.

He is sitting out as a FA in my 12 man redraft.

I almost dropped Barfield for him but I didn't and Barfield has rebounded.

I'm waiting until I figure out who I can drop for LaRoche. I definately will be stashing him until he gets hot
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers