Imus Suing for Remainder of His Contract - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Imus Suing for Remainder of His Contract

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby knapplc » Thu May 03, 2007 8:07 pm

Old_Style wrote:I was never a really big fan of his, but I do like the fact that he wasn't always politically correct. We need more of that.

If you believe that, then I think you actually need to "root" against Imus in this lawsuit. My take on this is that if Imus wins, he's going to scare away a bunch of prospective employers from this kind of programming. The risk will be too high if they hire these guys, then get hooked for the contract anyway.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby theclefe » Thu May 03, 2007 8:20 pm

knapplc wrote:
Old_Style wrote:I was never a really big fan of his, but I do like the fact that he wasn't always politically correct. We need more of that.

If you believe that, then I think you actually need to "root" against Imus in this lawsuit. My take on this is that if Imus wins, he's going to scare away a bunch of prospective employers from this kind of programming. The risk will be too high if they hire these guys, then get hooked for the contract anyway.

The Imus situation is rare. Very few shock jocks get the type of exorbitant contract Imus had. I'm sure stations will continue to take the risk with there lesser known guys for cheap money and lots of ratings. If it makes money, they will find a way to make it work.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Thu May 03, 2007 10:18 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I hope he wins because I think it was a joke he got fired. Not that I'm a fan at all, but what he said wasn't grounds for firing. Fire him for not being funny, fine, but not for the comment.

Agreed.

Art.......I can agree with you to a point but it works both ways. He just signed a % year, $40M contract 3 months ago. If all of his bad behavior happened since then, I would feel for the station. It's like signing Pacman Jones to a guaranteed contract now. You'd be an idiot to do that.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu May 03, 2007 10:20 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:I hope he wins because I think it was a joke he got fired. Not that I'm a fan at all, but what he said wasn't grounds for firing. Fire him for not being funny, fine, but not for the comment.

He wasn't fired for what he said, if that were the case he would have been fired the day he said it (or soon thereafter). He was fired because sponsors pulled out of the show, which--fair or not--is grounds for firing.

And the funny thing is that more sponsors pulled out after the fact because he was fired. I don't think that he should have been fired but it's their dime, their dancefloor. If they wanted to fire him, there was a right time and a wrong time to do it. They did it at the worst time.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pablo975 » Fri May 04, 2007 12:17 am

As an old radio guy, my take is:

I dislike Imus. Always have. Just not a talent IMHO

CBS knew they were getting a cranky, ornery, raging ***hole who upsets people with his material. He's been doing that since at LEAST the early 80's.

They knew what they were getting, and when it bit them in the butt, they cut him loose. They cut him loose for the right reason, but they should have thought before they acted....just as he should have.

Kinda like "A Few Good Men". Don't ask your guys to pull crazy stuff and then blame them and throw them to the wolves when it goes bad.

I say they're liable for the contract. Especially since he had that clause in his deal.

I hate to see Imus get money for nothing, but I hate corporate radio even more. :-t

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri May 04, 2007 12:32 am

They cut him loose for the right reason

What reason is that?? If they had balls and wanted to do it for the reason that they are telling the public, they would have done it on the spot. We all know that it was about ad $$, though.

I ask anyone interested to read the transcript. He took the fall. I didn't follow up but McGuirk was the ringleader and should have been tarred and feathered long before anyone else, IMHO. Was he fired as well?? I suppose since he is off of the WFAN personalities page.
Lofunzo

Postby chadlincoln » Fri May 04, 2007 11:56 am

sportsaddict wrote:Please, this thing needs to end quickly. I can only hear about so much Don Imus before my head explodes
I had never even heard of Imus until all this blew up. I couldn't care less.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to General Talk