Tom Gordon... Bye - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Tom Gordon... Bye

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby A'salltheway » Sat May 05, 2007 4:51 pm

what are everybodys thoughts on him. when he gets back what do you think is going to happen. and is he worth holding on to until then. i am in a league where there is no dl spot. what should i do drop him or hold on to him
A'salltheway
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 71
Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Sat May 05, 2007 5:32 pm

chitownjts wrote:Makes you wonder if Myers move to the bullpen was not because of his performance. I would venture to guess that Gordon's shoulder has been bad all year and Myers was the best candidate for the closer job.

Noone in their BP is closer worthy IMHO. May have been a good move after all.


Yeah, I have been criticizing Manuel and the Phils for moving Myers into the pen for the past few weeks, but it looks like it was the right move, if they knew that Gordon was hurt. They don't have anyone else who has good enough stuff to close and they have a surplus of starters...
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 138
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mokujin420 » Sat May 05, 2007 5:55 pm

bAsKeTcAsE86 wrote:
chitownjts wrote:Makes you wonder if Myers move to the bullpen was not because of his performance. I would venture to guess that Gordon's shoulder has been bad all year and Myers was the best candidate for the closer job.

Noone in their BP is closer worthy IMHO. May have been a good move after all.


Yeah, I have been criticizing Manuel and the Phils for moving Myers into the pen for the past few weeks, but it looks like it was the right move, if they knew that Gordon was hurt. They don't have anyone else who has good enough stuff to close and they have a surplus of starters...


I actually thought moving Myers to the Bullpen was a retarded Idea by the Phillies. However, it now looks like it was a brilliant idea. Their bullpen is garbage, even before Gordon went down. Myers has a closers personality and he has stuff that is pretty good. Combined with the fact that Moyers and Lieber have been pitching pretty decent it all makes sense now.

Only issue with Myers being the closer is I am not sure how many save opportunities he is going to get. Their set up/long releif is so bad, they are going to blow leads before they can even get to Myers.
Mokujin420
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

User avatar

Posts: 7
Joined: 5 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby x_Momentum » Sun May 06, 2007 2:36 am

Mokujin420 wrote:
bAsKeTcAsE86 wrote:
chitownjts wrote:Makes you wonder if Myers move to the bullpen was not because of his performance. I would venture to guess that Gordon's shoulder has been bad all year and Myers was the best candidate for the closer job.

Noone in their BP is closer worthy IMHO. May have been a good move after all.


Yeah, I have been criticizing Manuel and the Phils for moving Myers into the pen for the past few weeks, but it looks like it was the right move, if they knew that Gordon was hurt. They don't have anyone else who has good enough stuff to close and they have a surplus of starters...


I actually thought moving Myers to the Bullpen was a retarded Idea by the Phillies. However, it now looks like it was a brilliant idea. Their bullpen is garbage, even before Gordon went down. Myers has a closers personality and he has stuff that is pretty good. Combined with the fact that Moyers and Lieber have been pitching pretty decent it all makes sense now.

Only issue with Myers being the closer is I am not sure how many save opportunities he is going to get. Their set up/long releif is so bad, they are going to blow leads before they can even get to Myers.


First of all, I can't believe you would put the performances of Lieber and Moyer above what Hamels has done. I mean, Wow man. Their set-up guy is Antonio Alfonseca from what I've seen and I don't see him blowing any leads man. I disagree with your analysis bro.
Image
x_Momentum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 582
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Sun May 06, 2007 9:19 am

RawTalent wrote:
StringerBell wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
TheDooner64 wrote:
What's everyone's obsession with having 4 or more closers? I've never won a league with that much cheese... a good starter is far more valuable.


Starters will almost never get you a save.


Is the word "almost" necessary here :-?


Hey! Don't misquote me... stringerbell said it :-b

I personally can't rationalize having more than 3 closers on the team and that has to do with the draft... I feel like I can get more valuable players in the rounds that closers typically get scooped up, which in many leagues I've been in, have been way too early. I don't like jumping on the closer-run bandwagon and I usually win my leagues for avoiding it while some guy who wasted 4 picks in a row on upper tier closers toils away in last place because he doesn't have a catcher, a second baseman or a pitcher who can win games.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Arizona at Chi Cubs
(12:10 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(2:20 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(3:10 pm)
Houston at Seattle
(3:35 pm)
Kansas City at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
LA Angels at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Toronto at Toronto
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at Baltimore
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Diego at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact