Tom Gordon... Bye - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Tom Gordon... Bye

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tom Gordon... Bye

Postby dans2 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:09 pm

philadelphia resident.. comcast sportsnet reports Gordon has had shoulder problems all season.. OUT for season most likely and Myers is the closer...
dans2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Queen City Spunk » Thu May 03, 2007 6:54 pm

can anyone confirm this?
Queen City Spunk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Tom Gordon... Bye

Postby Morel Orel » Thu May 03, 2007 9:07 pm

dans2 wrote:philadelphia resident.. comcast sportsnet reports Gordon has had shoulder problems all season.. OUT for season most likely and Myers is the closer...

Proof? :,-(
Morel Orel
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby yossarian » Thu May 03, 2007 9:30 pm

I'm a Myers owner so this really helps his value, but it always feels weird to benefit in a game like this from a player's injury. :-/
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Tom Gordon... Bye

Postby Coppermine » Thu May 03, 2007 9:39 pm

dans2 wrote:philadelphia resident.. comcast sportsnet reports Gordon has had shoulder problems all season.. OUT for season most likely and Myers is the closer...

I've found some indications that this may be true:

Leah Zerbe, NBC10 - Greater Philadelphia wrote:After the Phillies dropped another one to the Braves on Wednesday night and fell five games behind the division leaders, it became pretty clear that the organization has a few more issues to add to the plate. Whether they’ll turn out to be problems or perks is yet to be seen.

Closer Tom “Flash” Gordon will not join the team in its next series against the San Francisco Giants because of an ailing shoulder that many believe is shot.

The Inquirer reported that the Phillies finally acknowledged that its 40-year-old closer has been having shoulder issues for months, and many are infuriated that he's been pitching with a bum arm all this time, costing the Phils big time.

This injury officially pushes Brett Meyers into Gordon's old role. Fellow blogger Dan Stamm will have more on this later, but now let's take a look at another developing issue taking place in the outfield.

Here is the actual Inquirer article; out of context above?

Jim Salisbury, Philadelphia Inquirer wrote:After the game, the Phils suffered another loss. Manuel announced that closer Tom Gordon arrived at the ballpark with a sore right shoulder and is headed home to be checked by team physician Michael Ciccotti.

Gordon's sore shoulder means the Brett Myers era as closer will begin tonight in San Francisco.

As Manuel announced Gordon's status, it became clear that the organization misled the public about the pitcher's condition in spring training.

Remember that not-so-secret trip home to Philadelphia that Gordon took in the spring? Remember how team officials insisted that Gordon's shoulder, which landed him on the disabled list last season, was fine? Remember how the Phils repeatedly said he went home for a routine exam?

Turns out that was a whole load of compost.

"He was stiff," Manuel admitted last night.

Stiff when he went back to Philly?

"Yeah," Manuel said. "He was sore in spring training."

Gordon had that exam on March 12 and didn't pitch until March 17. He has blown three saves this season and has mentioned that his arm strength is lacking. Now, at least everyone knows why. The Phillies have finally told the truth.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... ordon.html

I can't find anything indicate that Gordon is out for the season and/or that Myers is now closing.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Thu May 03, 2007 9:41 pm

yossarian wrote:I'm a Myers owner so this really helps his value, but it always feels weird to benefit in a game like this from a player's injury. :-/

It's a sore shoulder... don't feel so bad.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby denicola_dominates » Thu May 03, 2007 9:41 pm

how did brett myers go from starter to the bullpen though is what i want to know?? :-D
"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." -Yogi Berra

denicola_dominates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Thu May 03, 2007 9:43 pm

denicola_dominates wrote:how did brett myers go from starter to the bullpen though is what i want to know?? :-D

Yeah, this has been pretty much beaten to death already. Charlie got desperate for the fans to like him.... and believe me, most Philly fans seem to, for some unbelievable reason, think this was a good idea. Beats me.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Morel Orel » Thu May 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Anybody think dropping him for Lincecum is a good idea or should I wait until he goes on the DL...which might be too late.

Here's my current closers:

Saito
Rivera
Wheeler
Owens
Morel Orel
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheDooner64 » Thu May 03, 2007 9:48 pm

Morel Orel wrote:Anybody think dropping him for Lincecum is a good idea or should I wait until he goes on the DL...which might be too late.

Here's my current closers:

Saito
Rivera
Wheeler
Owens

Yeh get Lincecum
TheDooner64
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates