Code of Ethics?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Code of Ethics??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Code of Ethics??

Postby Cobra74 » Wed May 02, 2007 4:57 pm

My league is on Yahoo. I have a rookie manager who thinks it is ok to pick up pitchers off of waivers just because they are pitching that day, then drop them and get another pitcher for the next day. He has done this 4 or 5 times a week since the season started. I know there is nothing stopping him from doing this except that I could block him from his team, but I dont want to do that. Is there not an unsaid Code Of Ethics with online fantasy baseball where you just dont practice this type of stat whoring (for lack of a better term). What do I tell this new manager that will make him understand that if you are not going to keep this pitcher for more than 1 game your out?
Cobra74
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby las_vegas_keith » Wed May 02, 2007 7:02 pm

You should have an innings limit. He can pick up all the pitchers he wants and will run out of innings quickly and then he will no longer get the stats.

I see nothing wrong with picking up pitchers with good match ups. I don't think he should be tossed for doing this. Do you have an innings limit in your league?
las_vegas_keith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheOmen » Wed May 02, 2007 7:39 pm

The innings limit should catch up with him. Another way we limit this is by installing a max moves cap. We only allow 30 moves for the season.
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cobra74 » Wed May 02, 2007 8:48 pm

This is something that I didn't think about when I set the league up this year. I haven't had a problem with it in the past, except for guys that were in/near last place at the end of the season, but they were so far behind it didn't matter. I will be sure to remember this next year though.
Cobra74
T-Ball Trainer

Postby converge241 » Wed May 02, 2007 10:33 pm

There is no code of ethics for this

just different schools of thought on streaming

max moves is a great tool ;-D
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby las_vegas_keith » Thu May 03, 2007 10:37 am

TheOmen wrote:The innings limit should catch up with him. Another way we limit this is by installing a max moves cap. We only allow 30 moves for the season.

30 moves isnt much. We have an innings limit and any move after 30 costs $1 and is added to the payout for the teams in the money. That way if the last place team wants to make all kinds of moves, they are just adding to the pot.
las_vegas_keith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mission27 » Thu May 03, 2007 4:38 pm

I realy do not have a problem with that. As long as he is starting them, and not just blocking them from other teams it is perfectly OK. It might get him a win or a few k's but it could hurt his ERA and WHIP. It is just a difrent way of managing your team.
mission27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby samadams » Thu May 03, 2007 10:57 pm

Nothing at all wrong with that. I'm sure his WHIP and ERA are suffering so he is punishing himself.

I actually have done this at times when my ERA and WHIP are already high and I want to make sure I win wins and K's.
samadams
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pablo975 » Fri May 04, 2007 1:23 am

Yeah, I've won titles that way. If no rule is posted expressly forbidding it, then it's just a strategy. A risky one, to be sure, but perfectly ethical.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Re: Code of Ethics??

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri May 04, 2007 5:28 pm

Cobra74 wrote:My league is on Yahoo. I have a rookie manager who thinks it is ok to pick up pitchers off of waivers just because they are pitching that day, then drop them and get another pitcher for the next day. He has done this 4 or 5 times a week since the season started. I know there is nothing stopping him from doing this except that I could block him from his team, but I dont want to do that. Is there not an unsaid Code Of Ethics with online fantasy baseball where you just dont practice this type of stat whoring (for lack of a better term). What do I tell this new manager that will make him understand that if you are not going to keep this pitcher for more than 1 game your out?

You are describing streaming, and it's totally legit. You should have an innings pitched limit in any league, though that won't totally get rid of streamers by any means. I will stream in any league that I have trouble filling the innings for.

The only way he would be breaching a code of ethics would be if he was picking these guys up without using them. That's called churning and it is against the fair play and ethics statement that yahoo gives somewhere (can't find it right now).

Streaming is totally legal and legit

Churning is illegal, but hard to police.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Return to Commissioner's Corner