Add a Player, then Drop Him - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Add a Player, then Drop Him

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pochucker » Sat May 05, 2007 10:45 am

In my weekly h2h we handle it by having $1 transaction fee for drop/pick up and $2 fee for trades. We still had guy with 100 + moves. I still will spend few bucks to block opponents . Trancaction "pot" was over $700 last year (slit between 2 division winners)
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat May 05, 2007 10:50 am

i think most if not all intelligent owners when they see the front page full of moves all made on that day will click the view all to see what all the moves were during that day, or attleast they should be doing that. i know i will do that if i see all the moves on the front page made in one day.

maybe the guy doing all these moves didnt know the players were still available to everyone else?
couple years ago a few days before the season was over i did not know the players added/dropped the same day would still be available. i thought with only a few days left i could add/drop any starters that would be starting before the end of the season, that way noone else would be able to add any of them to help with their pitching before the end of the season. then the same day after i was done someone else addded one of the pitchers i had dropped that day, i was shocked, but then found out that they didnt have to go through waivers.

i have also had times where i would be thinking about a player and wheather to add him and would want to add him quick before anyone else did just incase thats the guy i wanted to keep, but then i could have another better player in mind so i drop the first player i had added.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Ursa » Sat May 05, 2007 11:01 am

Slightly off topic I guess, but it's been mentioned, is limitless moves. I think that removes a lot of the skill from the game, allowing everyone to just churn away all season long. We have 60 moves only, including playoffs, so you'd better think before clicking that button.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby rainman23 » Sat May 05, 2007 12:09 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:If you wanted to know why he was doing this, you'd probably have to ask him. I can echo what has been said here: it it our intent that if you add a player and then drop him on the same day, he goes to FA, not Waivers. If you see this is not the case, please let me know. As long as this is working properly, I'm not entirely sure what this guy would be trying to accomplish.

Anybody who is lame enough to do this stupid move is probably also too lame to know it's not working.

And you guys who do the "push the transaction off the first page" trick are lame, too. Along with those of you who are applauding it.

This whole thread is lame. My post included.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rainman23 » Sun May 06, 2007 10:53 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:If you wanted to know why he was doing this, you'd probably have to ask him. I can echo what has been said here: it it our intent that if you add a player and then drop him on the same day, he goes to FA, not Waivers. If you see this is not the case, please let me know. As long as this is working properly, I'm not entirely sure what this guy would be trying to accomplish.

Hey, Sports Genie -- does this apply to the guy who dropped the player, as well as the rest of the league? That is, if I dropped a player I just picked up, can I go out and snag him again just like every other manager in the league? If so, I think there's a potential problem there. I've thought about this scenario --

a.) I've got an available roster spot.
b.) I see the player out there that I definitely want for the long haul.
c.) But there's somebody else -- maybe a starting pitcher with a favorable matchup -- who I really want just for tomorrow.
d.) But I'm really worried that the guy I want long term will be gone by tomorrow.

So I'm wondering if I can do this (another lame trick):

a.) Pick up the guy I want long term. Now I got him, nobody else can snag him.
b.) Late at night, after normal human beings have gone to bed, I drop the "long term" guy, and pick up the one I want tomorrow. So now I've got that good pitching matchup.
c.) Early in the morning, before normal human beings have gotten up, I go drop the temporary guy in favor of the long term guy. If he's a free agent to me, just like everyone else, because I added and dropped him in the same day.

If this will work, I think it's a loophole that should be closed. I should have to wait until the waiver period expires for the final pickup. I've exploited a loophole in the system to make a player unavailable to others for an entire day who I don't plan on keeping (yet). So, have I wasted a lot of words, because you already have this one covered?
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bwanna » Mon May 07, 2007 6:21 am

rainman23 wrote:

Hey, Sports Genie -- does this apply to the guy who dropped the player, as well as the rest of the league? That is, if I dropped a player I just picked up, can I go out and snag him again just like every other manager in the league?

No, you can't...

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 16#2262916
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby rainman23 » Mon May 07, 2007 12:03 pm

Bwanna wrote:
rainman23 wrote:

Hey, Sports Genie -- does this apply to the guy who dropped the player, as well as the rest of the league? That is, if I dropped a player I just picked up, can I go out and snag him again just like every other manager in the league?

No, you can't...

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 16#2262916

Ah, thanks, Bwanna. That's good news.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pochucker » Mon May 07, 2007 12:33 pm

Telling you its simple solution --make it cost "money" they will think twice.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers