Add a Player, then Drop Him - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Add a Player, then Drop Him

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Bwanna » Wed May 02, 2007 2:37 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:I don't see anything wrong with this and has done this before. I add/dropped about 5-6 guys in 10 min so a guy that I regret dropping would sink below the league homepage and I hoped to get him back, it was effective, ask davidmarver.

That's pretty funny actually, and I have to admit that the thought has crossed my mind... just couldn't bring myself to do it. I also hate to bring attention to some guys that will probably help another team out if they just paid a little more attention to the FA pool.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 324)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sox 06 » Wed May 02, 2007 2:37 pm

The players that he drops do go to free agents. I don't have a problem with it I was just wondering why he was doing it.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed May 02, 2007 2:46 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:I don't see anything wrong with this and has done this before. I add/dropped about 5-6 guys in 10 min so a guy that I regret dropping would sink below the league homepage and I hoped to get him back, it was effective, ask davidmarver.

This is just a little obnoxious, but really is no harm done because all those players are still FAs to everybody else. Might as well disguise the move. I almost made that mistake with Lincecum this year, picked him up too soon and dropped him when I really needed help.

Fortunately nobody pounced and I got him back a couple of days ago.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 246)

Postby BigMusky » Wed May 02, 2007 2:55 pm

I do this sometimes if a player who is REALLY good gets dropped in my league, a couple of garbage pickup/drops will push it off the main page so the lazy people dont notice it.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby enigma77 » Sat May 05, 2007 4:21 am

There are a couple of guys churning starters daily in my league. It seems to be effective since it's a H2H league. I think ERA/WHIP is a crapshoot in H2H leagues, because even the best pitchers get roughed up occassionally. It seems to be working for them at the moment. I don't really have a problem with it. In fact, I'd rather let it slide so I know I can do it later and noone can say a word.
enigma77 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby YardBirds » Sat May 05, 2007 4:32 am

Adding a player and then dropping him, before Yahoo resets for the next day has no effect. Adding a player and then waiting for that days waivers to clear and then dropping him is play/ditch and seals that player up for however many days your waivers take to clear.
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SweetAurillia » Sat May 05, 2007 5:12 am

I did this with Barfield. Picked him up, 10 min later dropped him for Kelly Johnson. I usually refrain from adding players unless I'm relatively sure I'll keep em for a while so I don't draw attention to them for the other owners :-B
[i]For tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today[/i]
SweetAurillia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheOmen » Sat May 05, 2007 8:46 am

That being said, I'm guilty of what the original poster describes. I've made a move and thought, doggoneit, I'd rather have this guy, and then I dropped the guy who I had just picked up.

Yep, me too. I over analyze a lot.
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby paiger » Sat May 05, 2007 8:56 am

You can play the 'red-herring' game also.

If you have a good history of early FA pickups, (KJohnson, AHill, Lincecum, Owens(?) ) you can pique your league's interest by picking up some NA Schlubb, and have the rest of the league wonder what the H. you're doing and what is wrong with their reliever/1B/OF etc...

Kind of pointless prank, but last year I picked up Foulke as a FA months after the Lil Pappi's closer era began because a Sox homer buddy told me despite his lights-out status that there was no way he would stay closer since he was a lock to become a starter. I forget what move I had to make a few days later, but it was less speculative so I dropped Foulke and 3 days later a guy used his ww pick on him and bumped me up a notch.

It helps if you're in 1st and have a good FA record (essential)
paiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jdsun1 » Sat May 05, 2007 10:42 am

Genius! I love it. Wish I had thought about this. Most people are too lazy to look that far down or won't even notice the guy who is off the page now.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers