Ever go through about a month long string.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ever go through about a month long string....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ever go through about a month long string....

Postby mushman05 » Wed May 02, 2007 1:49 pm

where NO MATTER WHAT you do, you go with the wrong matchups??? I'm in a 14 team points league where I'm about to be off to a 9-17-1 (6th place) start in a league where I feel like I have one of the two strongest squads in the division...Not to mention, after I get swept this series I will still be fourth overall in total points...I've literally cost myself at least 7 or 8 wins thus far in the early going by starting the wrong guy.

Perfect example I've been getting burned big time by starting borderline SPs on the road, so this week I bucked that trend and went with Grienke vs. LAA as my fifth pitcher instead of Reyes @ Milw. or Olsen @ NYM..And naturally what happens - Grienke gets smoked as Olsen picks up a W and Reyes appears to throwing well. Its literally been this way all year for me. I'll play Olsen, watch him get rocked and bench Grienke only to watch him pitch a gem.

Sorry to sound like a whiney rook, but aside from blowing up my squad (which I REALLY dont want to do yet) I am truly at a loss for words!!!

Should I just start throwing darts at the wall here??? :~( :~( :-o

I hate to sound like that
**2006 Summer Bums League Champion**
mushman05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jlm53089 » Wed May 02, 2007 2:05 pm

its still early dont panice til at least june.
i dont panic til the all-star break
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mushman05 » Wed May 02, 2007 2:10 pm

jlm53089 wrote:its still early dont panice til at least june.
i dont panic til the all-star break

Yeah I hear ya man...it's just frustrating knowing that my squad needs to go on about a three week tear just to get over .500, while there are at least three subpar teams that are off to ridiculously lucky starts.

But in the long run I'm only about 6 or 7 games out of a playoff spot. That's certainly manageable this early on.
**2006 Summer Bums League Champion**
mushman05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 02, 2007 2:13 pm

I don't play matchups anymore cause I always get tthem wrong
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Grouperman941 » Wed May 02, 2007 4:11 pm

I've been going through this for about 12 years. :-)
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby StlSluggers » Wed May 02, 2007 5:28 pm

Countdown until Madison posts here? :-)

I've been playing H2H for almost a decade now. You have to learn to take the bad because you'll likely get the good. Take my team this year, for example. Just based on totals, I should be in 3rd place in my 7-team division. I'm undefeated. Why? I managed to get a down week from the best team in the league last week, and I squeeked by a hot team in the first week. My good luck, though, will not keep up, just like your bad luck will not last, either.

But if it will help you out, here's a bit of H2H wisdom:

Don't spot start good pitchers. If you think a pitcher will be good overall, then starting him every time will help you more than it will hurt you. I guarantee.

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Tavish » Wed May 02, 2007 6:03 pm

I know how you feel. Luckily a long time ago our league decided to tweak the normal H2H rules some and it took most of those "bad luck streak" problems away. First we got rid of weekly match-ups and turned it into a year long competition. Then we decided that instead of only facing one person (which didn't make much sense in a year long match-up design) that we would compare all the teams against each other and generate scores based on where each person ranked. After we decided all that, we were all pretty drunk and couldn't decide on good rules for the playoffs so we just dropped them altogether and made the regular season winner the overall winner.

I wasn't sure how it would work out at the start, but I was amazed how much more fun it ended up being.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby JTWood » Wed May 02, 2007 6:15 pm

Tavish wrote:I know how you feel. Luckily a long time ago our league decided to tweak the normal H2H rules some and it took most of those "bad luck streak" problems away. First we got rid of weekly match-ups and turned it into a year long competition. Then we decided that instead of only facing one person (which didn't make much sense in a year long match-up design) that we would compare all the teams against each other and generate scores based on where each person ranked. After we decided all that, we were all pretty drunk and couldn't decide on good rules for the playoffs so we just dropped them altogether and made the regular season winner the overall winner.

I wasn't sure how it would work out at the start, but I was amazed how much more fun it ended up being.

What he's trying to say is that he plays roto.

:-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby SweetAurillia » Wed May 02, 2007 6:21 pm

JTWood wrote:
Tavish wrote:I know how you feel. Luckily a long time ago our league decided to tweak the normal H2H rules some and it took most of those "bad luck streak" problems away. First we got rid of weekly match-ups and turned it into a year long competition. Then we decided that instead of only facing one person (which didn't make much sense in a year long match-up design) that we would compare all the teams against each other and generate scores based on where each person ranked. After we decided all that, we were all pretty drunk and couldn't decide on good rules for the playoffs so we just dropped them altogether and made the regular season winner the overall winner.

What he's trying to say is that he plays roto.

:-b

lol I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or not :-b

But to the OP, I know how you feel... sorta. My team is very very low on power as Arod, Kinsler, and Francouer are my biggest bats :-o Of course, with Arod and his hot streak I soared to the #1 spot in my 12 team H2H... but I'm realistic and don't expect Arod to keep this up, much less Kinsler and Francoeur. It's like the calm before the storm for me... :-o
[i]For tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today[/i]
SweetAurillia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Inukchuk » Wed May 02, 2007 6:23 pm

I'm sure it happens to the everyone. In fact, over the last few days, I have a nice string of screwups going. Since Sexson had been cold, I put Chris Young in my Util spot. After a few days of nothing, I decided on Monday to throw Sexson back in. Sexson 0fers and Young hits 2 bombs. Stupidly, I doubted the gods of cruel fate, and switched the 2 back on Tuesday. Young: 0-4. Sexson: HR. Today, I decided, "Screw it, I'll play them both and sit Sheff..."

The moral of the story: I am the greatest fantasy player ever... !+)
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers