Homer Journalists at a National Level? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Homer Journalists at a National Level?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Homer Journalists at a National Level?

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 02, 2007 11:31 am

I'm looking to gather examples of homer Journalists writing at a national level.

As a media comm major I'm always interested in the state of national media. I find it disturbing that National Outlets such as yahoo, cnn, sportsline, espn put out articles almost as fact when in fact the writer is a homer for the specific team being discussed.

Example:

Dice K Takes a Bite out of Apple
By Dan Wetzel

Now here is an article that praises Dice K for letting up 4 runs against the Yankees. Not a great feat by any means but it gets its own article. II'll keep my Yankee homerism out of this as much as possible but lets look at Wetzel's bio.

Wetzels Bio from Sportsline
The closest Dan Wetzel ever came to major-league sports was hawking popcorn as a 14-year-old at Fenway Park. The main sport then was conning Yuppies out of their change.

Wetzel, 29, attended the University of Massachusetts and held internships with the Indianapolis News and Chicago Tribune following graduation. He spent five years as an editor and writer at Basketball Times and has won 14 national writing awards including five consecutive years in investigative reporting from the U.S. Basketball Writers Association.

Now I always learned that your job as a journalist is not to root for the home team. You can't cheer in the press box. To me homer journalism is equivalent to rooting in the press box and is extremely unprofessional.

So I was hoping that people could post articles they deem homer articles.

List the article and the reason why the journalist is a homer.

No Yankees/Redsox bickering or I'll ask that the thread gets closed.

That is if anyone responds at all! :-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Wed May 02, 2007 11:43 am

I think it depends if the article is just a write-up of the game, or if it's an opinion/analysis column. If you're writing for a Boston-area newspaper, you're obviously going to focus on the home team because that's why you assume people are reading the Boston Globe. But if you work for CBS, and you're just writing about a game, then there shouldn't be homerism as you pointed out in your example.

MLB.com has an interesting approach. There is the MLB home page, and as part of the network is a page dedicated to each MLB team... I really like the format on MLB.com and all the team pages connected to it. Next to the scores of completed games on MLB.com you can click a "Wrap" link that takes you to an article about the game itself.

What's interesting, is that it points you to two articles.... one written from the perspective of a writer from each team.

For example: this is the "wrap" page from last night's Orioles-Tigers game.

There's two stories; one written by the Orioles writers is headlined "O's Bullpen Taxed" while the Tiger's writer's article headline is "Casey Comes Through."

Both articles are technically written from a neutral, journalistic perspective but it's a great example of home-town bias... even if it really is intentional. You assume that people visiting baltimoreorioles.com are there to read about their home team. The O's article starts off talking about the O's pitching problems and an over-worked bullpen. The Tigers article starts by praising Sean Casey's game-winning hit.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phatferd » Wed May 02, 2007 12:09 pm

Ahhh the Cafe feels normal again...
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Wed May 02, 2007 12:13 pm

Phatferd wrote:Ahhh the Cafe feels normal again...

I was thinking the same exact thing. It's good to have the family home again. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Thu May 03, 2007 12:48 am

itodd.......You are going to be GFTC is you don't cut out the stupid insults.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Simulacrum » Thu May 03, 2007 12:50 am

Still trying to figure out how you can be a Yankee homer when you live in Colorado... :-b

But welcome back Andy. ;-D
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 03, 2007 12:58 am

knapplc wrote:
Phatferd wrote:Ahhh the Cafe feels normal again...

I was thinking the same exact thing. It's good to have the family home again. ;-D

Group hug!
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby ironman » Thu May 03, 2007 3:47 pm

Bill Simmons is on a national level and is a complete homer. Then again, that was part of what made him a big name.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Coppermine » Thu May 03, 2007 4:10 pm

ironman wrote:Bill Simmons is on a national level and is a complete homer. Then again, that was part of what made him a big name.

He writes opinion pieces though; I think we're talking about just post-game wrap-up reports.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chadlincoln » Thu May 03, 2007 4:12 pm

The funny thing is that ACS posted this in Baseball Leftovers where he can post and it got moved to GT where he can't post. Poor guy...
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk