What to do when a team wants out? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

What to do when a team wants out?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What to do when a team wants out?

Postby rails80 » Wed May 02, 2007 7:09 am

In a 12 team standard 5 x 5 roto Yahoo league, one of the team owners decided he doesn't want to finish the season...

He's got guys on his roster that we've all been looking at.

Anybody ever have this occur in a league, and if so, what are some opinions on how to handle it?
rails80
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Response TeamFantasy Expert
Posts: 2177
(Past Year: 257)
Joined: 3 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: East Windsor, NJ

Postby Guaranteed Loser » Wed May 02, 2007 9:58 am

Lock his team

No adds/drops/trade for the rest of the year

Free win for whoever plays that team the rest of the year
Image
Thanks to Idahofan for the sweet graphic!
Guaranteed Loser
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 263
Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed May 02, 2007 11:22 am

Well it sounds like you guys want his players once his team is locked. How are you going to fairly accomplish that? Simply awarding the players based on waiver priority?

I don't think that's right. His players should not be touched, because the people who get his top players will have a big advantage over those who get nothing.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3166
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby las_vegas_keith » Wed May 02, 2007 3:03 pm

Lock out the team, put all his players on the bench that way he will have ones in every category and it won't hurt the league. You shouldn't just drop his players. The fairest way to deal with it is to just take those players out but locking up his team with the players on the bench.
las_vegas_keith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 506
Joined: 12 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rails80 » Wed May 02, 2007 4:05 pm

thanks for the replies.

everything has already been blocked by the commish.

this is a roto league, not head-to-head. i understand putting all of his guys on the bench - that may be the best way to do it, but theoretically don't have bench spots in our league. as for letting the other owners pick at his team based on waiver priority - i have the #1 priority so i like that idea. but it's not fair. i was thinking of a "re-draft" of sorts. but even that doesn't sound too fair...
rails80
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Response TeamFantasy Expert
Posts: 2177
(Past Year: 257)
Joined: 3 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: East Windsor, NJ

Postby las_vegas_keith » Wed May 02, 2007 7:00 pm

rails80 wrote:thanks for the replies.

everything has already been blocked by the commish.

this is a roto league, not head-to-head. i understand putting all of his guys on the bench - that may be the best way to do it, but theoretically don't have bench spots in our league. as for letting the other owners pick at his team based on waiver priority - i have the #1 priority so i like that idea. but it's not fair. i was thinking of a "re-draft" of sorts. but even that doesn't sound too fair...


You should be able to put everyone on the bench. At least you can in my Yahoo league. You don't have that many bench spots, but that only prevents you from picking up more players than allowed by the league. But once your team is full, you can put everyone on the bench and leave all the positions empty.
las_vegas_keith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 506
Joined: 12 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pablo975 » Fri May 04, 2007 1:29 am

You could also have a lottery style draft. I hate to see good players rot on an abandoned teams bench.

Every team picks in an assigned random order. No waivers burned, and everyone had an equal chance at any player. Or you could have a 2:1 ratio for the bottom teams to give them a better chance at stud players.

But, the easiest and most fair is to just bench and lock down the team.

Wow, I was actually of zero help there wasn't I?? :*)
Image

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 969
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 21 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Mobile, AL

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri May 04, 2007 5:31 pm

Pablo975 wrote:You could also have a lottery style draft. I hate to see good players rot on an abandoned teams bench.

Every team picks in an assigned random order. No waivers burned, and everyone had an equal chance at any player. Or you could have a 2:1 ratio for the bottom teams to give them a better chance at stud players.

But, the easiest and most fair is to just bench and lock down the team.

Wow, I was actually of zero help there wasn't I?? :*)


Yeah a lottery style draft would be very intriguing to a lot of people...

It would also be totally arbitrary and could easily be pointed to as the moment that the league lost its legitimacy, when you look back on the season in hindsight. Leave the players alone.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3166
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rails80 » Fri May 04, 2007 8:02 pm

Yeah - a lot of talk has come about the integrity of the league. We've decided that a re-draft or lottery is out of the question.

Essentially, this particular owner was added to the league bc our 12th team from last year said he couldn't join this season. Let's say the guy who joined thought it was a free league. We're trying to come up with an arbitrary way to allow him to still manage but keep keep the integrity and honesty and competition up.

Thanks for all the insight everyone.
rails80
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Response TeamFantasy Expert
Posts: 2177
(Past Year: 257)
Joined: 3 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: East Windsor, NJ

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat May 05, 2007 3:40 pm

rails80 wrote:Yeah - a lot of talk has come about the integrity of the league. We've decided that a re-draft or lottery is out of the question.

Essentially, this particular owner was added to the league bc our 12th team from last year said he couldn't join this season. Let's say the guy who joined thought it was a free league. We're trying to come up with an arbitrary way to allow him to still manage but keep keep the integrity and honesty and competition up.

Thanks for all the insight everyone.


That's easy actually, you just cut him out of the prize pool.

Let's say it was ten dollars a piece to play and first place was going to get 60, second place 40, third place 20.

Now, you can say that even if the nonpaying team gets first he just doesn't get the money and you change the payout to:

1st- 55, 2nd- 35, 3rd- 20

Pretty easy fix if money is the only issue.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3166
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact