Breakout Prospect of 07 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Breakout Prospect of 07

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Breakout Prospect of 07

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed May 02, 2007 4:02 am

I was high on a couple guys last year

Corey Wimberly played rather well but is a 2B with defense who's old for his level

Result: Decent

Chris Nelson struggled mightily in Ashville, only positive is the development of some power and good sb/cs ratio. Doing well so far this year but k/bb is still at around 3/1, but he's making better contact and showing some power while still doing well on the basepath(3/0 sb/cs), but that's besides the point since I anointed him to breakout LAST YEAR.

Result: BAD

Kevin Kouzmanoff always showed a knack for making contact, when I saw his stat I could have swore he'd be in the top 10, perhaps in the 7 range of the Cleveland system, he's not. He's in the mid teens and was rather easy to acquire.(Chris Denorfia for Ryan Garko and Kevin Kouzmanoff) He finally turned in a healthy year and as a result, earned himself a trade into a situation where he can start for a MLB club. Not working out so well right now but hey, I sold high on him and got Rios back(Rios and Brett Gardner for Kouzmanoff and Kevin Mellilo). I don't think he'll be much more than a serviceable MLB 3B, but I got lots of value off of him on the buy and sell.

Result: GREAT

I picked out one guy already to be the breakout prospect of 2007, I will reveal it in a couple days(give me some time to acquire him), what are some of your breakout candidates? I'm curious to hear.

edit: I picked out 2 guys, one guy I have already I'll reveal right now. I'll get the other, higher upside guy before reveal it(at least try to get him)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed May 02, 2007 4:44 am

PWF's breakout player 2007(1 of 2)

Low level of current attention version

Kyle Blanks-1B-San Diego Padres Organization

Currently in A+ Lake Elsinore of the California League

Born: 09/11/1986
College: Yavapai JC(draft and follow guy)
Height: 6' 6"
Weight: 270
Bat: R
Throws: R

Current stat in A+(warning: hitter friendly environment)

96 at bats
.313/.380/.510=.890OPS
30 hits
6 doubles
2 triples
3 homeruns
8bb/19k
3sb/1cs

Pluses
Very, Very projectable with that frame
Very, Very Athletic for a tall guy, used to be a college SS(!), has average MLB speed, not really projectable as a SB guy, but I'm sure he's faster than Pujols, and big guys can sneak up on you if you are not paying attention. 2sb/0cs last year 3sb/1cs in Rk ball.
Has showed power already(10HR in 308ab last year, 7HR in 164ab in Rk ball 2 years ago)
Has adequate contact skill(.299 in Rk ball, .292 last year in A)
Draws walks, pretty good Isolated OBP numbers(OBP-Batting average)-.420OBP in Rk ball, .382OBP in A ball and currently .380 in A+

Minuses
Strikeout rate is pretty high, not terrible, but not very good, about 2k for every bb in his career pretty much
Has yet to face the AA challenge, probably will this year if he keep hitting like this
Has been hitting in good environment the last 2 years with the Cal league this year and Fort Wayne last year.
Plays for the Padres organization, which has a god awful of a home park for hitters and has a guy named Adrian Gonzalez.(But I'm sure Blanks is athletic enough to move to a corner OF or maybe even 3B if necessary)
Has yet to have a power explosion

Ranking
Sickels rank him #9 in the Padres system between Will Venable and Paul McAnulty with a C+ grade and the tag "very intriguing power"
Baseball America doesn't have him in their Padres top 10

and I'd appreciate anybody that can help me find that website with all the rankings from different sites listed and averaged.

He's probably not worth getting yet in smaller keepers, but in bigger leagues, definitely, get him if he doesn't cost you much(go for a more prominent player of his then ask for Blanks as a throw in to balance things out or something), he shouldn't cost you too much, yet, and could be a very nice B/B+ grade prospect by next year. For those of you in shallower leagues, keep an eye out for him. ;-D
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JohnR » Wed May 02, 2007 10:53 am

Jeff Manship and Dellin Betances (when he starts pitching) on the pitching side...

hitters I like Blanks also, but I also see Travis Snider being the new Billy Butler (best pure hitter in the minors)....also, Jared Goedert of the Indians and Gorkys Hernandez of the Tigers

throw in one more pitcher for good measure and make it even i'll say the OTHER Andrew "Drew" Miller of SD

all of these guys except Snider are probably available in any fantasy league right now and all are making names for themselves thus far....also look for Javier Herrera of OAK to bounce back and make a name for himself...oakland sure could use him
The one constant through all the years has been baseball. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again...This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again.
JohnR
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JohnR » Wed May 02, 2007 10:56 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
and I'd appreciate anybody that can help me find that website with all the rankings from different sites listed and averaged.

not sure if this is what youre looking for but this is what i have:

http://www.attheplate.com/rookies.htm

you can also access all the top 100's from that page
The one constant through all the years has been baseball. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again...This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again.
JohnR
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Nipples » Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 pm

I agree on Blanks. I traded a late pick next year for the last pick this year to snatch him. I think he could be a great hitter.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed May 02, 2007 1:10 pm

JohnR wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

not sure if this is what youre looking for but this is what i have:

http://www.attheplate.com/rookies.htm

you can also access all the top 100's from that page

no, there were a site with all the individual site's rankings plus the average, it's really detailed and really helpful
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri May 04, 2007 4:24 am

My other breakout candidate is Gorkys Hernandez of the Tigers, will write about him later.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby afraudsdirty » Fri May 04, 2007 12:37 pm

Are you referring to projectprospect.com ???
afraudsdirty
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Fri May 04, 2007 12:43 pm

Guerra
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Minor League & College Baseball