Favorite Wrigley Moments - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Favorite Wrigley Moments

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Favorite Wrigley Moments

Postby ironman » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:10 pm

We seem to have a nice Cubs following in the cafe so I thought it'd be cool if everyone shared their favorite experience from Wrigley Field.

My favorite came last season in May. I was in attendance for the 11-9 Cubs/Cards game that never happened. For those that don't remember this was the game that was called in the top of the 5th due to rain and was made up later in September. The conditions were absolutely miserable. From the opening pitch it was a constant drizzle with winds blowing straight out at 15-20 MPH with gusts up to 35-40. It was Clement versus Tomko and both were getting absolutely rocked. Eli Marrero tore up his knee sliding for a fly ball which had to be pretty bittersweet given the game was completely wiped from the records.

I was in the bleachers with two of my buddies. We showed up for batting practice and with the wind pretty much every pop fly was hitting the stands. The three of us sat through all 4 1/3 wet, wild innings as well as the hour and 50 minutes between when they stopped play and when they officially called it. The wind and rain roared through Wrigley Field so hard we affectionately dubbed the storm Hurricane Steve Buechele, which given the alphabetical system that real hurricanes are named, we figured was preceded by Hurricane Paul Assenmacher, and eventually followed by Hurricane Ron Cey.

Important note: When a rain delay is called, Wrigley will still serve you beer! So there we were, wet, with beer in hand, representing left field in a three man chant of "Right Field Sucks!" What's even sadder was that we actually got a pair of guys in right field to chant back at as! Other highlights include having my buddy scream, "You're being selfish!" at Eli Marrero as he laid on the field in pain with his knee hanging by a thread, and having Ronnie Woo Woo do his chant into my cell phone to a buddy back home that couldn't make it. Ahh, good times. ;-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Favorite Wrigley Moments

Postby Oat Soda » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:11 am

ironman wrote:Other highlights include having my buddy scream, "You're being selfish!" at Eli Marrero as he laid on the field in pain with his knee hanging by a thread

That's very wrong and mean ... but still funny. :-D
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Walden warriors » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:53 am

This just in...the urinal is better than ONE NL Central stadium, and that one doesn't house a major league franchise (Milwaukee).
Does your league need a quality, outside review of your league rulebook? Does your league not have a written rulebook? Contact me! I can help.
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ironman » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:16 am

Walden, if you don't like the Cubs that's fine with me, but there's no need to insult my post like that. :-t

I wouldn't go into the St. Louis forum and dog your posts.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby cwebb » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:44 am

ironman wrote:Important note: When a rain delay is called, Wrigley will still serve you beer! So there we were, wet, with beer in hand, representing left field in a three man chant of "Right Field Sucks!" What's even sadder was that we actually got a pair of guys in right field to chant back at as!

*rofl* You're cracking me up, man

And I like that pic, walden.

This thread is going right to my favorites!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:10 pm

ironman wrote: and having Ronnie Woo Woo do his chant into my cell phone to a buddy back home that couldn't make it. Ahh, good times. ;-D

I love Ronnie Woo Woo....He is one of my all time favorites.... ;-D

My favorite Wrigley memorie is August 17, 1977...the Cubbies beat the Pirates 4-2....That was my very first baseball game ever....and began my love for the Cubbies...and the game of baseball..... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ccjj17 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:52 pm

My favorite was watching Sammy hit 60,61, and 62 against the Brewers one weekend in 98.
ccjj17
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Los Angeles Cubs » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:07 pm

ccjj17 wrote:My favorite was watching Sammy hit 60,61, and 62 against the Brewers one weekend in 98.

oh man......i remember that weekend
Go Cubs!
Los Angeles Cubs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Andy1234 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:10 pm

Last season the lights went out during the game and there was a 20 min delay.

It happened in the 1st inning while it was still light out, I would have never thought that the lights made THAT much of a difference at that time, but it was quite noticable. (I think it was against the Brewers but I cannot recall 100%)

Also I was at a game vs Fla were I saw the 7th inning streach twice. Many fans had left and me and my buddies went down and sat right behind Home for the last 7 innings. (I think the game went 17 innings, again i might be wrong)

Not great memories, but I'm still young-lol

ANd Ditka's rendition of take me out to the ballgame was one of the funniest versions. It had to be some kind of record, He sang it so fast.
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby argyle007 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:27 am

I was at the game where Pete Rose tied Ty Cobb's hit record. Now I realize he's such a piece of shilt that I'm embarrassed that I stood and applauded for 8 minutes straight. Poor Reggie Patterson...
argyle007

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Chicago Cubs