Brandon Morrow... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Brandon Morrow...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Morrow...

Postby B-Chad » Wed May 02, 2007 1:17 am

He appears to be dealing right now. He's piled up 6 K's in his last 2 and 1/3 innings and was a first round pick just 1 year ago. I understand it's a small sample, but it's his most recent work, and considering he was a first round pick I'd imagine he's got good stuff. Any Mariner fans out there that can tell me his repetoire and if he's projecting to be a big strikeout guy this year out of the pen? I'm in a league that counts holds, so a middle reliever who may pick up a few wins, holds, and help ratios while racking up K's would be very useful. Thanks.
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mariners47 » Wed May 02, 2007 4:31 am

He's a pretty raw 21 year old who should be starting in AA or AAA instead of trying to save Hargrove's and Bavasi's butt (yes, I'm bitter). Regardless, he does have a nasty fastball, which is pretty much all he's been using so far. Think a poor man's Papelbon. His secondary stuff is so-so and he hasn't learned to use it consistently.

Hargrove basically used him once in middle relief then annointed him the new setup man. He probably won't pick up many wins or saves though, since he's got the M's offense behind him and a young closer in front of him. He'll get some holds if your league counts them, but I'd rather have guys like F.Cabrera or Corpas first. I think the K/IP ratio is a little misleading since there's not much major league scouting on him yet.
mariners47
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Wed May 02, 2007 3:46 pm

Yeah, not worth it. He's way too raw to make a snap judgment on, and when hitters start catching up to his fastball he's gonna get, well, maybe not shelled, but he's not going to be striking out the side.

On the other hand, maybe he will develop into a flame-throwing high-leverage guy. My point is, it's too early to tell so I wouldn't risk it.
-Lane
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 99)

Postby BRoyFanClub » Thu May 03, 2007 2:33 am

great fastball that he's been able to throw by hitters... even when they know its coming. however, he doesn't have consistent command on his other pitches.
BRoyFanClub
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Chip1010 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:50 am

Here's his repertoire:

1. Awesome fastball that he can't control.

2. Nothing.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE this kid, but he's not ready for the bigs, and he's only up because the Mariners' manager and GM are struggling to keep their jobs and trying to squeeze any talent they can out of the minors.

He'll be a valuable fantasy player for the next couple of months (assuming you're not giving up much to get him), but he's not long-term. He'll be back in the minors once someone with some sanity takes control of the Mariners.
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates