Hughes leaves game in 7th - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Hughes leaves game in 7th

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Legia13 » Tue May 01, 2007 11:46 pm

4-6 weeks isn't bad. It COULD be much worse. I'm not going to drop him in my main league as I'm sure somebody will pounce on him, and I feel he will have an impact later in the season.
Legia13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kmoneybags » Tue May 01, 2007 11:50 pm

JoshExley wrote:
kmoneybags wrote:
Bogey9906 wrote:
kmoneybags wrote: Hughes is too good to rush and the Yankees know that as well. If the rotation is ailing as it is now though- all bets are off

If the guy is good enough to have a no-hitter going in the seventh inning, how exactly would they be "rushing" him. I know this is the prevailing wisdom on Hughes right now, but I think he showed tonight that he's good enough and ready enough to be in the majors for good, regardless of his age or minor league experience. Maybe it's just one great game, and the injury certainly changes things, but the Yankees should be asking "what were we so worried about?"

Of course he is good enough to pitch right now. That isn't the issue. But this kid is 20 years old. Don't you think there is a reason he has been on a strict pitch count since hes been in the Yankee organization? Its to curtail this sort of thing from happening. Sure its great to watch him and its a good story as well, but IMO hes too young to bring up to the bigs for these past 2 starts when the Yankees could have chosen other guys to fill in. What were we so worried about? This.

Sorry, but that makes no sense. If the guy is as legit as he has shown, and has shown tonight, why not bring him up? What difference does it make?

This injury (something that has nothing to do with his pitch count or atmospheric conditions) could have happened in A, AA, or AAA. Made no difference where he was at. Now, if you could show me proof that him starting in the majors caused this injury, I will hide my tail and leave this forum.

Look, I can't change your mind. Nor can I prove something that is impossible to prove. If you had read earlier, I said that this injury also could have happened at any level. But it didn't. It happened in his 2nd major league start. A 20 year old's body isn't as mature as someone thats even 22-23. Whether its pure coincidence or not, its funny how Hughes gets hurt so soon in what was seemingly 2-3 spot starts at the major league level.
kmoneybags
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Slow Pitch » Tue May 01, 2007 11:53 pm

kmoneybags wrote:
JoshExley wrote:
kmoneybags wrote:
Bogey9906 wrote:
kmoneybags wrote: Hughes is too good to rush and the Yankees know that as well. If the rotation is ailing as it is now though- all bets are off

If the guy is good enough to have a no-hitter going in the seventh inning, how exactly would they be "rushing" him. I know this is the prevailing wisdom on Hughes right now, but I think he showed tonight that he's good enough and ready enough to be in the majors for good, regardless of his age or minor league experience. Maybe it's just one great game, and the injury certainly changes things, but the Yankees should be asking "what were we so worried about?"

Of course he is good enough to pitch right now. That isn't the issue. But this kid is 20 years old. Don't you think there is a reason he has been on a strict pitch count since hes been in the Yankee organization? Its to curtail this sort of thing from happening. Sure its great to watch him and its a good story as well, but IMO hes too young to bring up to the bigs for these past 2 starts when the Yankees could have chosen other guys to fill in. What were we so worried about? This.

Sorry, but that makes no sense. If the guy is as legit as he has shown, and has shown tonight, why not bring him up? What difference does it make?

This injury (something that has nothing to do with his pitch count or atmospheric conditions) could have happened in A, AA, or AAA. Made no difference where he was at. Now, if you could show me proof that him starting in the majors caused this injury, I will hide my tail and leave this forum.

Look, I can't change your mind. Nor can I prove something that is impossible to prove. If you had read earlier, I said that this injury also could have happened at any level. But it didn't. It happened in his 2nd major league start. A 20 year old's body isn't as mature as someone thats even 22-23. Whether its pure coincidence or not, its funny how Hughes gets hurt so soon in what was seemingly 2-3 spot starts at the major league level.

Your arguement has no logic to it. His body would be doing the same thing in any ballpark tonight, be in Scranton, the Bronx or Timbuckto
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kmoneybags » Wed May 02, 2007 12:00 am

Slow Pitch wrote:
kmoneybags wrote:
JoshExley wrote:
kmoneybags wrote:
Bogey9906 wrote:

Your arguement has no logic to it. His body would be doing the same thing in any ballpark tonight, be in Scranton, the Bronx or Timbuckto

"If you had read earlier, I said that this injury also could have happened at any level." Tell me where I dispute that? So you're telling me its not at all interesting that this happens now? Theres no logic in saying that a 20 year old isn't physically mature? I'm a huge Yankee fan and I know full well what Hughes will be capable of if hes taken care of now in his most vulnerable years. I'm not saying the Yankees did the absolute wrong thing but the risk was greater than the reward on this occasion.
kmoneybags
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Legia13 » Wed May 02, 2007 12:05 am

Just saw it on Baseball Tonight. Hughs says its a hamstring strain and he hopes he won't be out for too long. Says he felt good pitching.

It looked pretty weird when it happened, kinda landed weird on the leg.
Legia13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LongDrive » Wed May 02, 2007 12:05 am

you think he's gonna treat his body more carefully in the majors or in the minors?
LongDrive
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby colt4523 » Wed May 02, 2007 12:10 am

If he can pitch in the majors now he should be in the majors. The only difference I see from pitching in the majors in comparison to the minors is mental stress. He innings will be limited in both leagues. He might get hit around more in the pros but his pitching will not change. He will still throw the same fastball and curveball at both levels.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 84)

Postby kmoneybags » Wed May 02, 2007 12:14 am

LongDrive wrote:you think he's gonna treat his body more carefully in the majors or in the minors?

Both equally of course. However, any 20 year old kid with his talent and mental makeup can fall victim to pushing too hard in that situation. He was pitching a no hitter against a very good hitting team and who knows if Phil tried to do too much. Maybe something he wasn't ready to do...I don't have the answer and the only person that would is Phil himself. I guess the main point out of all of this is that I'm sure we're all hoping for the best for him. I only wish I owned him in my keeper farm system (I do have Lincecum though which is nice).
kmoneybags
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Slow Pitch » Wed May 02, 2007 12:26 am

kmoneybags wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:
kmoneybags wrote:
JoshExley wrote:
kmoneybags wrote:
Bogey9906 wrote:

"If you had read earlier, I said that this injury also could have happened at any level." Tell me where I dispute that? So you're telling me its not at all interesting that this happens now? Theres no logic in saying that a 20 year old isn't physically mature? I'm a huge Yankee fan and I know full well what Hughes will be capable of if hes taken care of now in his most vulnerable years. I'm not saying the Yankees did the absolute wrong thing but the risk was greater than the reward on this occasion.

How in the world is it more phyiscally demanding to pitch in the majors as opposed to AAA?? It is the exact same from a phyiscal nature. The body is performing the exact same functions.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cobbs87 » Wed May 02, 2007 1:43 am

I managed to trade him for Ian Snell. Normally my bias wouldn't allow me to do such a thing because I have to assume Hughes will have a Liriano-esque season minus the severe injury.

On the other hand like many others I have too many DL'd already and a 20 year old pitcher with one good MLB start under his belt. I think people should see what they can get for him. Snell seems like a good pickup for me right now.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates