kmoneybags wrote:Joe Torre is saying Hughes will be out at least 6 weeks

:~( i hate this
Legia13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LongDrive » Tue May 01, 2007 11:31 pm

Bogey9906 wrote:
kmoneybags wrote: Hughes is too good to rush and the Yankees know that as well. If the rotation is ailing as it is now though- all bets are off

If the guy is good enough to have a no-hitter going in the seventh inning, how exactly would they be "rushing" him. I know this is the prevailing wisdom on Hughes right now, but I think he showed tonight that he's good enough and ready enough to be in the majors for good, regardless of his age or minor league experience. Maybe it's just one great game, and the injury certainly changes things, but the Yankees should be asking "what were we so worried about?"

cough bud smith cough
LongDrive
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JoshExley » Tue May 01, 2007 11:34 pm

Were you watching the post-game interview?

I am troubled why Torre would say that and am amazed Torre can know so much so fast...
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kmoneybags » Tue May 01, 2007 11:35 pm

Bogey9906 wrote:
kmoneybags wrote: Hughes is too good to rush and the Yankees know that as well. If the rotation is ailing as it is now though- all bets are off

If the guy is good enough to have a no-hitter going in the seventh inning, how exactly would they be "rushing" him. I know this is the prevailing wisdom on Hughes right now, but I think he showed tonight that he's good enough and ready enough to be in the majors for good, regardless of his age or minor league experience. Maybe it's just one great game, and the injury certainly changes things, but the Yankees should be asking "what were we so worried about?"

Of course he is good enough to pitch right now. That isn't the issue. But this kid is 20 years old. Don't you think there is a reason he has been on a strict pitch count since hes been in the Yankee organization? Its to curtail this sort of thing from happening. Sure its great to watch him and its a good story as well, but IMO hes too young to bring up to the bigs for these past 2 starts when the Yankees could have chosen other guys to fill in. What were we so worried about? This.
kmoneybags
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby kmoneybags » Tue May 01, 2007 11:37 pm

JoshExley wrote:

Were you watching the post-game interview?

I am troubled why Torre would say that and am amazed Torre can know so much so fast...

Yeah it was in the postgame. I'm troubled as well by Torre saying this without any facts.
kmoneybags
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby JoshExley » Tue May 01, 2007 11:39 pm

kmoneybags wrote:
Bogey9906 wrote:

Of course he is good enough to pitch right now. That isn't the issue. But this kid is 20 years old. Don't you think there is a reason he has been on a strict pitch count since hes been in the Yankee organization? Its to curtail this sort of thing from happening. Sure its great to watch him and its a good story as well, but IMO hes too young to bring up to the bigs for these past 2 starts when the Yankees could have chosen other guys to fill in. What were we so worried about? This.

Sorry, but that makes no sense. If the guy is as legit as he has shown, and has shown tonight, why not bring him up? What difference does it make?

This injury (something that has nothing to do with his pitch count or atmospheric conditions) could have happened in A, AA, or AAA. Made no difference where he was at. Now, if you could show me proof that him starting in the majors caused this injury, I will hide my tail and leave this forum.
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue May 01, 2007 11:40 pm

Yanks' Hughes out 4-6 weeks after injury during no-hit bid

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) -- Phil Hughes was working on a no-hitter in the seventh inning of his second major league start when an injury cost him a chance to make history.

That was the only bit of bad news for the New York Yankees, who responded to George Steinbrenner's statement in a big way Tuesday night with a 10-1 rout of the Texas Rangers.

Hank Blalock hit a leadoff double against reliever Mike Myers in the eighth inning for Texas' first hit, not long after Hughes (1-1) left with an apparent leg injury and became the latest New York pitcher to go down.

The 20-year-old right-hander, considered one of the top prospects in baseball, was cruising along in a dominant performance when he winced and grabbed his left thigh after throwing an 0-2 breaking ball to Mark Teixeira with one out in the seventh. It was Hughes' 83rd pitch.

Yankees manager Joe Torre, pitching coach Ron Guidry and a trainer came out to the mound to check on Hughes, who was removed from the game and walked gingerly back to the dugout, where he received a warm reception from teammates. The nature of the injury wasn't immediately known.

"He said he felt a pop," catcher Jorge Posada said.

Hughes walked three and struck out six. He left with a 9-0 lead.

Hughes was called up from Triple-A Scranton to fill a spot in New York's injury-depleted rotation. Mike Mussina (hamstring), Carl Pavano (forearm) and Jeff Karstens (broken right leg) are on the disabled list. Chien-Ming Wang also missed the first three weeks of the season with a hamstring injury.

Link
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby colt4523 » Tue May 01, 2007 11:43 pm

Are the yankees going to have the record for most starting pitchers going on the dl? Every week a starter goes down :~(

So do they know what exactly his injury is?
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 84)

Postby atrozen » Tue May 01, 2007 11:43 pm

Just reported on Sportcenter... hamstring injury out 4-6 weeks
atrozen
T-Ball Trainer

Postby JoshExley » Tue May 01, 2007 11:44 pm

colt4523 wrote:Are the yankees going to have the record for most starting pitchers going on the dl? Every week a starter goes down :~(

So do they know what exactly his injury is?

NBC better be wrong......PLEASE!!!! :-o

My staff is getting thin.....Carp, Harden, Felix, now Hughes. Man...
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates