Is it possible to punt a category and still win? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is it possible to punt a category and still win?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is it possible to punt a category and still win?

Postby UGADawgGuy » Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm

Have you ever seen anybody win (or come close to winning) a 5x5, head-to-head (standard scoring) league while punting an entire category?

-- UGADawgGuy
UGADawgGuy
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Tue May 01, 2007 5:20 pm

yes in H2H its fine. I wouldn't go into the season planning on punting but you can survive through it in H2H.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby fbc_fan » Tue May 01, 2007 5:20 pm

sure, in h2h i actually find it easier to punt and win than in roto. you just have to make sure that you completely stack your other categories so that you win them without a doubt.

one that comes to mind was a team that had andruw, dunn, and delgado. that team just punted avg every week, but had reyes and another base stealer so it would win r/hr/rbi/sb every week. that team worked out well. another was one that comes to mind was a team that had no closers, just 11 or 12 mediocre to excellent SPs. it would always win W/K by a landslide, and was deep enough to play matchups well so that it would normally win era/whip.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby UGADawgGuy » Tue May 01, 2007 5:24 pm

Interesting. I'm punting Saves (due to poor draft management, not planning), and I'm currently #3 in a 12-team league. Unfortunately, though, I don't have much pitching depth at all -- I'm trying to trade some of my offense for pitching now.

I'm winning fairly consistently across the offensive categories, and I can play the matchups well enough to salvage a decent ERA/WHIP/Ks...but I'm lagging on Wins.

-- UGADawgGuy
UGADawgGuy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Tue May 01, 2007 5:26 pm

Punting a category in H2H is fairly common strategy. In roto it usually comes about from either desperation or poor planning.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby jupiter33 » Tue May 01, 2007 5:27 pm

We keep 10 players before the March redraft. I keep 6 pitchers. I'm in a rotis eague with 10 pitchers, and 15 offensive players and I've gave up on HR's. My draft strategy was to win Average, Runs, RBI's, and SB's. So far I'm #1 in SB's, #1 in Ave, 4th in Runs, and #2 in RBI's. My pitching is #1 in K's, Saves, #2 in W's, ERA, WHIP..
I've got Corey Patterson, Sizemore, Beltran, Tavares, Figgins, Carlos Guillen, Rolen, Cuddyer, Kent, McCann, A.J., Derek Lee, Adam Lind.
jupiter33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby samjerky » Tue May 01, 2007 5:29 pm

You know I just had a thought, though, on this subject in terms of roto and H2H. If you do what many suggest, which is not to draft closers high, and then decide you still want to compete in saves, you are still essentially punting ERA and WHIP because you're ending up with the Solomon Torres types, is that not so?

At any rate, I did go with that strategy, and I made sure that I've got two pretty decent closers but that the rest of my MRs are really solid MRs so that I'm not definitely not even near the top in saves, but I am near the top in terms of WHIP and ERA (actually at the top).

So I guess I really don't see why MRs are valued so low by so many people. In my limited experience, people try to grab up closers focusing on saves, and so far they seem to have terrible WHIP and ERAs if they didn't put a premium on pitching early in the draft.
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdsun1 » Tue May 01, 2007 5:46 pm

samjerky wrote:You know I just had a thought, though, on this subject in terms of roto and H2H. If you do what many suggest, which is not to draft closers high, and then decide you still want to compete in saves, you are still essentially punting ERA and WHIP because you're ending up with the Solomon Torres types, is that not so?

At any rate, I did go with that strategy, and I made sure that I've got two pretty decent closers but that the rest of my MRs are really solid MRs so that I'm not definitely not even near the top in saves, but I am near the top in terms of WHIP and ERA (actually at the top).

So I guess I really don't see why MRs are valued so low by so many people. In my limited experience, people try to grab up closers focusing on saves, and so far they seem to have terrible WHIP and ERAs if they didn't put a premium on pitching early in the draft.

My exact thinking and strategy. Pickup Okajima and Cabrera as MRs and sleep a little better at night.

I am at the top in era and whip using these two in H2H. It also helps having haren, snell, hill, kazmir, and hamels.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j24jags » Tue May 01, 2007 5:47 pm

Everyone is spot on. Roto-You can't punt, H2H-It's fine ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Old_Style » Tue May 01, 2007 5:50 pm

j24jags wrote:Everyone is spot on. Roto-You can't punt, H2H-It's fine ;-D

And that is why roto leagues are where the real men play. ;-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers