Billy Butler gets called up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Billy Butler gets called up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ender » Thu May 03, 2007 4:51 pm

BMcP wrote:Butler better than Chris B. Young for this year?

No
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Thu May 03, 2007 5:25 pm

It will be close. I'd take Butler just because I want someone who will hit higher than .240. If you really need the SB though you might take Young. I'm not a big fan of Young, he's got loads of athleticism but I think it will be some time before he is anything more than Mike Cameron.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby godallahstar » Thu May 03, 2007 5:28 pm

J35J wrote:

It will be close. I'd take Butler just because I want someone who will hit higher than .240. If you really need the SB though you might take Young. I'm not a big fan of Young, he's got loads of athleticism but I think it will be some time before he is anything more than Mike Cameron.

pretty much my thinking as well.

i'd take butler for the year and long term.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Thu May 03, 2007 5:41 pm

Better than 50% chance Butler is in the minors in a month, it would be silly to drop Chris Young for him. This is typical prospect overhype like Kendrick got last year. Odds are Butler isn't worth playing in anything but deep leagues, you stick him on your roster to see if he beats the odds but don't drop a useful player for him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby scb175 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:53 pm

What the heck has Chris Young done? :-t
scb175
College Coach
College Coach

Postby godallahstar » Thu May 03, 2007 5:55 pm

I skipped most the pages, but I wasn't aware it was a "drop chris young for butler?" question.

I don't see why KC would call him up and send him back down if he's hitting. In my opinion, based off the very small sample size, it looks like Gordon is more likely to be sent down.

Maybe he'll pick it up and feel a bit more comfortable being with Butler again, but even so, Kendrick performed very well last year, and i'm not even a big fan of him.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby activechamp2006 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:59 pm

scb175 wrote:What the heck has Chris Young done? :-t

my point exactly.

Personally I think Butler will be more successfull this season then Young.
Butler won't steal bases like Young, but I think his power is just way to much to over look.

Finally a bright spot for KC. ;-D
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Thu May 03, 2007 6:00 pm

He's has the starting job assuming he produces, unlike Butler who could go down even if he plays well. He's shown skills as good as Butler in the minors. He's batting in a better lineup in a better part of the order. He can field so won't lose his job based on that. He has 160 major league at bats of adjustment already.

Reading the KC boards the majority don't think Butler is up for good, why take the risk dropping an established player in the hopes that he is. Right now the apparently plan is sending Shealy to the minors on an injury rehab so they can see how Butler does, if he isn't hitting well he'll be back in the minors this time next month.

You have dead weight on your roster than fine drop it for Butler, its a good move. But don't go dropping someone who was drafted in the first 12 rounds in most leagues and is on pace for 20+ HR, 15+ SB for him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Thu May 03, 2007 6:01 pm

J35J wrote:

Butler's PT is iffy right now. Young's K rate is pretty decent. He won't bat .240 all season and he is a much better hitter than Cameron ever was.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Thu May 03, 2007 6:03 pm

Im still wandering who is going to get more opportunity (AB's) to play
Butler or Pence? :-?
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor