Holding? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Holding?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Holding?

Postby nkeitt » Fri May 10, 2002 11:51 am

What does it mean for a pitcher to earn a hold (and I don't mean a cuddle from an adoring fan)?

NK
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Fri May 10, 2002 2:28 pm

Good question, and one that unfortunately has two answers:

STATS, Inc. credits a hold when a pitcher enters a game in a save situation, records at least one out, and exits the game while there is still a save situation. Basically, a pitcher does the same job as a pitcher earning a save, but pitches before the eventual closer who gets the last out.

The problem is that SportsTicker (later) created its own definition: a pitcher has to enter and leave the game with a save situation in effect, but doesn't need to get any outs. In effect, a pitcher can enter a game with a two-run lead, toss a meatball that is hit for a solo homer, leave the game and earn a hold.

Confusing? Yes. Some stat services now mix these definitions, leading to players more or less randomly listed with two different holds totals...

Seems like time for MLB to step in...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nkeitt » Fri May 10, 2002 3:52 pm

As long as J.C. Romero keeps getting them and helping me in my league, I don't really mind how confusing it is! But you're right, especially since fantasy and rotisserie leagues are now a big part of how the public engages in baseball, it would be in MLB's best interest to start keeping an official stat on holds.

Though somehow I doubt we'll see some middle reliever inducted into Cooperstown one day as the "master of the hold"...

NK
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers