Hunter Pence or Billy Butler - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Hunter Pence or Billy Butler

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hunter Pence or Billy Butler

Postby oddmanout7 » Tue May 01, 2007 2:00 pm

I am in a 12 team dynasty and I'm in full rebuild mode after taking over a terrible team. My pitching is definitely the strength of my team, but my hitting leaves much to be desired. Pence is still sitting on waivers, and I have the #1, but I think Butler will be called up this year, and I think his upside is around that of Travis Hafner. Should I pass on Pence ans risk that Butler is not called up? WW priority does not carry over from year to year.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue May 01, 2007 2:01 pm

In Dynasty I would hold out for Butler for sure. I will be in my keeper league and we only keep 6.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nails » Tue May 01, 2007 2:53 pm

This is a tough one. I would rather have Billy Butler for sure, but a couple of years ago I was in a similar situation. I had the #1 priority and King Felix got added. I couldnt decide whether I wanted to take him or wait for Delmon Young. Luckily I took Felix because DY never got added.

But regardless, I would take a chance and wait for Butler.
Nails
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Slump Busters » Tue May 01, 2007 3:23 pm

Excellent thread. I am in the exact same situation as a few of you. 12 team keep only 5 each year. I have #1 priority and am torn between Pence and Butler. Sounds like many are leaning toward Butler, I am ok with that as I dont really need another OF at the moment in Pence. However if people thought Pence would have potential to be the next Sizemore or something like that then I would likely put in for him. Right now I am thinking of waiting for Butler and hope it does not cost me.
Slump Busters
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Tue May 01, 2007 4:09 pm

I'm even in your dynasty league and it pains me to say that I think you should wait on Butler too. I hear Hafner and Manny comparisons with this near 3x minor league batting champion.

Billy Butler, KC, OF (ETA – June)
With a team batting average of .241, you have to start wondering when Butler will get the call from the parent club. After hitting .419 in 31 spring training at bats (.774 SLG%), Butler has continued to lace the ball at Triple-A Omaha (.337, 6 HR, 23 RBI. 17 BB, 12 K). With Royals first baseman Ryan Shealy hitting .096 and outfielder Emil Brown hitting .194, surely there is a place for Butler's bat (.343 minor-league BA in over 1,300 career at bats) with the big club. He's a defensive liability, sure, but his full-service bat will win more games than his defense loses – especially if they can find a way to utilize him at DH, not an easy task with Mike Sweeney in tow. Either way, expect Butler to force the issue by at least June.

yahoofantasy.com
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby J35J » Tue May 01, 2007 4:49 pm

J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby converge241 » Tue May 01, 2007 5:10 pm

Butler baby and he's is up! J35J had the scoop
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby High Heater » Tue May 01, 2007 5:28 pm

Butler over Pence and its not close imo
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Members Only Jackets » Tue May 01, 2007 5:28 pm

keep in mind that Butler will be a DH eventually...and like Pronk, that will limit him to some extent....while Pence, at CF, will be a nice option.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue May 01, 2007 5:30 pm

Members Only Jackets wrote:keep in mind that Butler will be a DH eventually...and like Pronk, that will limit him to some extent....while Pence, at CF, will be a nice option.

Yea being a full time DH might cost him a few spots in a redraft. Hafner would probably be top 8 or so if he was 1b eligible, but instead he goes top 14. Not enough to make me worry.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball