Return to Baseball Leftovers

pressure and vazquez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GuestHappyNow!!! » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:04 am

I expect Vazquez's numbers to get better more than I expect his numbers to get worse. He's an enormous talent, who realizes it's his time to shine. Plus, he's now got a great bullpen, which will 1) Help ensure he wins more games he leaves with the lead 2) Lighten the innings he logs.
Those That Don't Believe The Media Overrates Donovan McNabb Need To Listen More Carefully

Vladimir Guerrero Was A Met. Then I Woke Up From My Nightmare And He Was Nice And Securely An Anaheim Angel
GuestHappyNow!!!
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moose » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:11 am

Vazquez will be the Yankee's ace without a doubt. He's already better than Mussina in my book. Mussina follows a good year with a mediocre one sometimes.

With the Yankee offense to support him Vazquez will win around 20. Plus Vazquez doesnt smoke weed like a fiend like Weaver did/does. Nice way to cope with the "pressure" I guess.
moose
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:17 am

moose wrote:Vazquez will be the Yankee's ace without a doubt. He's already better than Mussina in my book. Mussina follows a good year with a mediocre one sometimes.

With the Yankee offense to support him Vazquez will win around 20. Plus Vazquez doesnt smoke weed like a fiend like Weaver did/does. Nice way to cope with the "pressure" I guess.

Well that would explain all them hanging curves now wouldn't it?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:22 am

TheYanks04 wrote:You do not get paid 11M a year to under-achieve. Vaz will be fine. This is no gutless coward like Weaver. A lot more talent than Weaver too.

Weaver was pretty damn good in Detroit before he was traded to New York. 3.18 ERA, 1.19 WHIP. Vazquez last year in Montreal: 3.24 ERA, 1.11 WHIP. eeeeeeeeeeerily similar. LOL, but seriously, Vaz should do fine.

BTW: Why does everybody call Weaver gutless??? Was there an incident or does he just suck?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby GuestHappyNow!!! » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:23 am

TheYanks04, did you ever hear Jim Kaat talking off camera during a commercial break, but somehow was still on air, say "I think Jeff will pitch good today. Flaherty is catching him finally?" I thought was a funny indictment on Posada from an announcer like that.
Those That Don't Believe The Media Overrates Donovan McNabb Need To Listen More Carefully

Vladimir Guerrero Was A Met. Then I Woke Up From My Nightmare And He Was Nice And Securely An Anaheim Angel
GuestHappyNow!!!
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:37 am

Not in Comerica any more...

Weaver got the rep as being gutless for a number of reasons. To start with, the guy falls apart if someone makes a mistake behind him. Few things that earn the contempt of fans more than letting an error get to you. Then he has the nerve to blame his crummy pitching on the error. Like one error is an excuse to give up 5 more runs.
It goes on and on. His poor body language, his refusal to bear down and suck it up in tight situations on numerous occassions. Then there was the couple of times he looked like he was starting to cry on the field as he was getting shelled and Torre pulled him and he moped back to the the dugout to a chorus of boos. Just beloved hear in NY.

As to Posada and his game calling. There is really nothing surprising there. Posada has dealt with mostly veteran starters his entire career. Guys who more or less call their own game. Posada's game calling skills have always been somewhat in doubt. I would see Weaver hanging that bleeding curve of his one out of every 2 pitches and Posada was still letting him throw it/calling it. Never could figure that one out and if you recall Kaat more than once broke out the "In my days, the manager or catcher would see that curve and come out and tell me what I should do with it" comment. Thought that was a subtle way of saying Posada has not got a clue also.

Kaat is an excellent analyst by the way.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby moose » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:13 am

I still think Weaver is a good pitcher who couldnt handle NY. He may be a guy to grab late this year. The ravine is really kind to pitchers.

But man is Vazquez a stud. He will dominate for NY. I just wish he was across town. B-)
moose
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby Madison » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:13 am

I'm sure that Vaz will battle some nerves his first start or two at home, but that's to be expected. Very small crowd to an entire stadium watching you. I think he will settle down and be just fine. :-)

Oh yeah, the new, guaranteed contract should relax him too. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby j7 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:43 am

weaver was uncomfortable in ny since day one .. i guess some things are just the way they are. the west coast should be alot easier on a spaced out guy in terms of pressure (something ny can never do unfortunately)

i agree Vasquez could have some trouble settling in right away, but if he has another one of those 2nd halfs again (cg after cg) - look out. he will be loved. too bad the yanks had to steal him from such a famine induced team.. at least they gave up nj in the process though. i think this was a rare trade since both teams gave up such big pieces of their future .. not as modest as most trades
j7
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers