Return to Baseball Leftovers

pressure and vazquez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

pressure and vazquez

Postby L0rdB23 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:02 pm

i have vazquez as 1 of my keepers and since he became a starter on the expos he has been 1 of my favorite players in the league..

now i have read of alot of articles sayin his numbers will not be nearly as good becuase of the pressures of ny and the al east. now yes i think his era could possibly go up slightly just because he has to face a dh now but not by much.. people seem to forget he is off turf and that usually helps pitchers out a little bit.

the main reason i am makin this post is because my feeling is yes their is an added pressure he faces pitching in ny.. but in my opinion it is nowhere near the pressure he had to face as being an ace of a staff.. in ny he is the #3 on a team that is a lock to make the playoffs as opposed to montreal where he was the ace of a team that didnt have 1 place to call home or a budget that was guaranteed money.. so to me the pressure of ny is alot less then pressure of being an ace and therefore i think he will get even better in NY besides the fact that hes still young and improving..

and also when u throw in he has mo to close out his games compared to biddle that also ups his value

i just wanted to get this out there and see what u guys think .. some of u might think im wrong for thinkin he faced more pressure in montreal then he will in ny but just respond and lets see what everyone has to say
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:01 pm

The pressure of bieng an Ace in front of 7,000 people (IE Montreal) is hardly the same thing as an entire city ready to peel off your toe nails and dip them in the shark tank when you mess up.
Lucky for Vasquez, NYY fans and press are at least going to give him a chance.
Aaron Boone and many other are frowned upon since day one. imagine if Vaz had to deal with that kind of pressure? Hated since day one. :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby ensanimal » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:05 pm

i don't think it was really pressure he felt in montreal. more of a, what will happen next? type of feeling. he won't face any real pressure in ny, unless he starts to screw up, which i don't see him doing.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -152)

Postby StLrEdBiRdS2004 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:18 pm

i dont think he will face too much pressure in NY. He is a great young pitcher and he should do fine behind that great offense.

http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=1400
StLrEdBiRdS2004
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Aikoprod » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:41 pm

I think he'll be fine. The pressure of New York turns up only when you're not doing well and that doesn't seem realistic for Vazquez. Besides, Vazquez is a tough pitcher, hard thrower (Whitson and Weaver were finesse pitchers), and the Yankees are committed to him. Torre will ease whatever pressure he feels by showing him the examples of Mussina and Contreras, two other high profile pitchers.
Aikoprod
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:18 pm

He'd better not get off to a slow start. The expectations will have to be greater than when Weaver went to town, and they tore that guy apart.
"How's the smut business, Jackie?"
Jackie Treehorn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:23 pm

He will be fine. And Weaver did himself in...a total gutless, whining coward.

As to Aaron "Swing and a Miss" Boone...he was not hated since day one...since day 2. Guy just blows.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:41 pm

I know one thing.. He's there for the long haul so even is he has a rocky start they'll keep him in there. And don't forget..Vazquez took a ball to the face that looked like it should have killed him and has come back from that to dominate. I don't think the pressure in NY will get to him.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:49 pm

I don't think Steinbrenner thinks long haul, the Yankees are the Yankees and if he doesn't perform up to their expectations, they'll treat him like everyone else who underachieves there.
"How's the smut business, Jackie?"
Jackie Treehorn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:58 pm

You do not get paid 11M a year to under-achieve. Vaz will be fine. This is no gutless coward like Weaver. A lot more talent than Weaver too.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers