Keepers, Dynasties, Player protectio, etc. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Keepers, Dynasties, Player protectio, etc.

Re: Simple question on the traditional definition of a keeper le

Postby Rounders » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:42 am

Our keeper league allows each manager to keep up to 5 players year to year, and that ends up being the first 5 rounds of the draft. If you choose to you can keep less (i.e. manager that keeps 3 gets to draft in the 4th and 5th round). We just wanted a system that would be very simple.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:14 pm

In short, a keeper league allows you to retain players from one year to the next.

How each league goes about accomplishing that is where the distinctions arise:

Draft keeper leagues let you retain a number of players at the expense of draft picks in the subsequent year.
Contract/Salary keeper leagues let you retain a number of players at the expense of your salary cap in the subsequent year.
Pure dynasty leagues let you retain any number of players without no penalty for as long as you want.

Those are the most common variants. I'm sure there are others, but if you have these in your head, you'll have 90% of the leagues covered.

;D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:15 pm

commence8 wrote:
Keeper leagues allow you to "Keep" or carry over a predefined # of player (sometimes even less) for the next season ;D

That's too simple of a definition. Not all keeper leagues have a predefined number of players you're going to keep.

In conclusion, this is like asking --- Are all scoring systems the same, or do they vary?

Unlimited is a subset of predefined. ;D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby mrbo » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 pm

I sort of had this same question at the beginning of the season when our league was trying to switch from redraft to keeper. I was looking for 'standard' keeper setups which I found pretty much don't exist.

Maybe this thread can be a repository where people post their keeper setups for others who are starting keeper leagues to get ideas. Id suggest the thread is renamed, moved to Commish Corner and maybe even stickied if it gets enough responses.

My league didn't want to use anything complicated. Right now our keeper rules are as follows:

We get to keep up to 3 players, for a maximum of 3 years per player. The 3 players being kept must be one from each of 3 groups based on draft position. Group A = Draft rounds 1-7, Group B = Draft rounds 8-15 and Group C = Draft rounds 16-22/FA. If a player who was drafted gets dropped, then claimed off FA/WW he stays in the group he was drafted in. We don't lose picks next year based on keepers (which I think I don't like).

To give an example, I'm probably looking to keep for next year:

A - David Ortiz (He was my first round pick, OPS league)
B - Chris B Young (I don't have many good players in the B group, maybe I'll trade for a better one by the deadline)
C - Tim Lincecum (I have other players in group C worth keeping; James Shields/Kevin Slowey which I'll probably trade for a group B keeper)

Next year I would get these 3, and every team would draft normally as if it were a redraft. You are allowed to not keep a player, but with no penalty I don't really see why you would want to not keep anyone.
mrbo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:36 pm

I actually started a thread a while back to discuss the systems various leagues employed for keepers. I'm running out the door at the moment - I bet someone else could dig up that thread, and if not, I'll find it later. Then perhaps some kind soul could merge them.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 91)

Postby mrbo » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:54 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I actually started a thread a while back to discuss the systems various leagues employed for keepers. I'm running out the door at the moment - I bet someone else could dig up that thread, and if not, I'll find it later. Then perhaps some kind soul could merge them.

Here it is: viewtopic.php?t=279440

Not that many responses, it gets buried here in leftovers.
mrbo
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Keeper leagues: how does your league do protections?

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:57 pm

This topic comes up a lot so I merged those two threads and moved them over to the Beginner's forum. It can have a longer lifespan here.

Not all keepers keep a set number. I've played in a few where you had a maximum but teams were allowed to relinquish protection slots in return for a draft picks. Keeper is a subjective term. There are so many definitions and styles.

I play in a few keeper/dynasty leagues currently. The dynasty league is basically a huge keeper. You can protect up to 25 players. Mookie's keeper has become one of my favorites. The beauty is in the simplicity. It's a $250 auction and you can keep any or all of the players you've purchased from one year to the next. The caveat is that all kept contracts increase 25% across the board. It makes it very tough to purchase and keep the known stud but really rewards the player who makes wise long term choices.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Keepers, Dynasties, Player protectio, etc.

Postby Loreti27 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:42 pm

Hello.... I have been the Commissioner of a Fantasy Baseball League for the past 10 years. In addition to my primary League, I want to start a Dynasty Keeper League in 2008 for me & my "more hardcore" fantasy players. We intend to utilize CBSSportsline for the Dynasty League. If any of you would be so kind to forward me your Dynasty (and/or Keeper) League Constitution, i would really appreciate it. Thanks for your help. Please PM me or post a hyperlink if you can.
Loreti27
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Location: The # 7 Train heading for the Willet's Point / Shea Stadium Platform

Previous

Return to Beginner's Forum