Keepers, Dynasties, Player protectio, etc. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Keepers, Dynasties, Player protectio, etc.

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:09 pm

We keep 8 players. Lose the round you drafted them in the year before. If you keep them for a consecutive year the round moves up one. You can keep a max of 2 players from rounds 1-5. 2 from rounds 6-10, unless you did not keep the max 2 in 1-5 then you may go over here. Rest are kept from 11 on. We also have a 3 man minor legue system in which you get to keep the player on your team without penalty until he loses rookie status. All offline drafting and minor league stuff and discussions held here at the Cafe ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dsspence3 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:12 pm

Here is how we've run our 12 team h2h yahoo league

We use a fantasy baseball guide, which i assume would be used by those who do auctions to assign values to players. Each team gets to sign as many players on their roster so long as it doesn't exceed 100 dollars. Rookies count as 3 dollars and we've allowed the trading of cap room up until this year when i think it will be discontinued. Also you may franchise one player on your roster to keep with no hit to your cap for next season but no matter what happens during the year he must go back into the draft pool along with all other unsigned players even if you say trade him to another team.

Hope that explains it. Obviously requires a yahoo offline draft.
dsspence3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Simple question on the traditional definition of a keeper le

Postby gmq » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:14 pm

Is it keeping a set number of players year to year, be it 2, 3, 4, 5, etc., and never adding to that total number year by year (just interchanging within that set), or is it an accumulation of players, or does it vary. Thanks.
gmq
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Simple question on the traditional definition of a keeper le

Postby gmq » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:32 am

bump...thought this one would have gotten a few answers right away..no?
gmq
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby commence8 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:10 am

It varies.
Will always help in return (leave a link to your question in response)
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dynastykid22 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:11 am

Don't really understand the question, prolly why no response.

Our Keeper league allows 6 players to be kept under 6 million dollars(at an 18 mil cap) or what ever comes first, we still have to field a 16 man starting roster though. I'm assuming your question is whether or not you add to the players being kept. :?

If thats not the basis of your question let us know and I'm sure someone will help
dynastykid22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GunSlingers » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:13 am

gmq wrote:Is it keeping a set number of players year to year, be it 2, 3, 4, 5, etc., and never adding to that total number year by year (just interchanging within that set), or is it an accumulation of players, or does it vary. Thanks.

Correct. A keeper league is keeping a set number of players without keeping them all which would be a dynasty league.
GunSlingers
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:30 am

I'd say that is too narrow a definition of a keeper league.

Part of why you didn't get too many answers is because keeper leagues vary wildly in how they conduct their business. But at the heart of it, it is a system that allows teams to "protect" 1 or more players from year to year, rather than throwing those players back into the draft pool.

- Some keeper leagues allow each manager to protect a fixed number of players i.e. "everybody declare with 5 guys you are keeping"
- Some keeper leagues allow each manager to protect a variable number of players. This usually has some sort of "cost" system in play; a salary cap you have to work within, forfeiting draft picks to keep players, something along those lines.
- At the extreme would by dynasty leagues, where every manager protects all their players from year to year.

I expect others could further clarify or disagree, but pretty much any format where some of the players don't go back into the draft could be called a keeper league.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:38 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I'd say that is too narrow a definition of a keeper league.

Part of why you didn't get too many answers is because keeper leagues vary wildly in how they conduct their business. But at the heart of it, it is a system that allows teams to "protect" 1 or more players from year to year, rather than throwing those players back into the draft pool.

- Some keeper leagues allow each manager to protect a fixed number of players i.e. "everybody declare with 5 guys you are keeping"
- Some keeper leagues allow each manager to protect a variable number of players. This usually has some sort of "cost" system in play; a salary cap you have to work within, forfeiting draft picks to keep players, something along those lines.
- At the extreme would by dynasty leagues, where every manager protects all their players from year to year.

I expect others could further clarify or disagree, but pretty much any format where some of the players don't go back into the draft could be called a keeper league.

:)

I'd say thats a complicated definition!

:)

Keeper leagues allow you to "Keep" or carry over a predefined # of player (sometimes even less) for the next season ;D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby commence8 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:41 am

Keeper leagues allow you to "Keep" or carry over a predefined # of player (sometimes even less) for the next season ;D

That's too simple of a defintion. Not all keeper leagues have a predefined number of players you're going to keep.

In conclusion, this is like asking --- Are all scoring systems the same, or do they vary?
Will always help in return (leave a link to your question in response)
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's Forum