The complexities of rooting for your fantasy team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The complexities of rooting for your fantasy team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The complexities of rooting for your fantasy team

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:42 am

Sure we root for a HR or an RBI or a save or something....that's the easy part. Something cut and dry that is easy to comprehend.

But that's not all we root for...we twistedly root for the game to cater to our players and our needs.

How about seeing your guy third up in an inning and rooting for an RBI opportunity. So the first guy up singles - yes! And the next guy doubles - yes! Second and third with none ou.....uh oh. Then the frustration of watching your guy get intentionally walked. :-P

Or how about your closer's team being up by five in the eighth. You celebrate when the set-up guy gives up a three-run double, but then stare in disbelief as they follow that up with a 2-run shot. Then your closer pitches the 9th sending it to extras. You just pray for some way his team can push a run across to salvage something from the missed save opportunity.

Anybody got another one? Just looking for another twisted way to watch the game.
}:-)
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swingaway » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:45 am

Yes i do i hope a stud on another guys team get s hurt or turns stinky and i also like it when i pick a good player lets say a ichrio type player from the waiver wire.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby j7 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:51 am

yeah defenitly injuries. it also works for guys from the same team as one of your players. if freddy garcia goes down and needs tommy john surgery, i'll be happy cuz that could be good news for rafael soriano. we fantasy players can be evil i guess
j7
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:58 am

How about when your stud gets rested against any of the Tigers pitchers last year. :-P
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:57 am

in H2H i always rejoice when the team i'm going up againt has his top hitter go 0/4 or his Ace gets shelled. It's really hard if they have a Braves pitcher though. In that case I usually hope for a high scoring game.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Madison » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:20 pm

How about when you own a starter who's pitching against your favorite team?

For me it would be something like Mussina against the Rangers. I went to that game and I hoped Mussina would go 9 innings, 4 hits, 1 UNEARNED run. Arod would have the 4 hits, along with a steal or two, and score the unearned run. Cordero would get the save, and the Rangers would win 1-0.

I would have won all the way around, even though it's ridiculously far fetched. Mussina ended up dominating the Rangers in that game, but you get the idea. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby cannonarm21 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:30 pm

The thing that gets me is when you are going against somebody's ace, they have 2 outs and suddenly there is an error. You continue to watch his pitcher get pummeled only to allow 3 or 4 UNEARNED runs. At that point you are actually hoping the inning ends so he saves some of his junk for the following inning.
I know in this case the WHIP is still being affected, but there is nothing like seeing an opposing pitcher get shelled for 7 earned runs.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:42 pm

Madison wrote:How about when you own a starter who's pitching against your favorite team?

For me it would be something like Mussina against the Rangers. I went to that game and I hoped Mussina would go 9 innings, 4 hits, 1 UNEARNED run. Arod would have the 4 hits, along with a steal or two, and score the unearned run. Cordero would get the save, and the Rangers would win 1-0.

I would have won all the way around, even though it's ridiculously far fetched. Mussina ended up dominating the Rangers in that game, but you get the idea. :-)

The Rangers winning a 1-0 game. LOL :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:33 pm

Lofunzo wrote:The Rangers winning a 1-0 game. LOL :-D

It.......sniff....sniff.....it...it....could.....happen someday. :~(

:-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby timkell » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:41 pm

Don't worry Madison. Why not hope for 10-3 victories instead? They're just as fun!
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers