THE OFFICIAL "When Lincecum will be called up" THREAD!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

THE OFFICIAL "When Lincecum will be called up" THREAD!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby baseballboy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:22 pm

Texican wrote:
baseballboy wrote:4) they took him from a 14 K performance with only 86 pitches thrown leeds me to believe his major league debut very well could be right around the corner

This may be the most telling. I did not realize he was pulled after 86 pitches. Do you have the stats for his prior games?
[/b]

0.32 ERA in 31 innings, allowing just 12 hits and striking out 46.
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Texican » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:54 pm

baseballboy wrote:
Texican wrote:
baseballboy wrote:4) they took him from a 14 K performance with only 86 pitches thrown leeds me to believe his major league debut very well could be right around the corner

This may be the most telling. I did not realize he was pulled after 86 pitches. Do you have the stats for his prior games?
[/b]

0.32 ERA in 31 innings, allowing just 12 hits and striking out 46.

Sorry, I meant pitch counts
Texican
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Bunter » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:20 pm

This is exactly the way i see it.

I know i wasn't the only one thinking that! "baseballboy", there you go! ;-D
The Bunter
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Texican » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:29 pm

One article I read today:

Lincecum could be here shortly
The Giants technically don't have any room in their rotation for Tim Lincecum. But make no mistake about it - if Lincecum continues to pitch this way at Triple-A Fresno, they will make room for him. Lincecum's stats this year for Fresno look like they were taken out of a video game: 31 innings, 0.29 ERA, 12 hits allowed, 46 strikeouts.
The 2006 first-round draft pick is a special talent, with a high 90s fastball and a curveball that is arguably the best in the minor leagues. As if Lincecum's stuff wasn't enough for hitters to deal with, he has a very deceptive delivery that makes it incredibly hard to pick up the ball. Some scouts believe that his small stature (5-11, 170 pounds) combined with his funky delivery will inevitably lead to arm problems, but so far he's been injury-free throughout his college and professional career.

Barry Zito, Matt Cain, Matt Morris and Noah Lowry are entrenched in the Giants rotation. The team's No. 5 starter, reclamation project Russ Ortiz, has pitched respectably so far (2-1, 4.50 ERA in four starts), but let's be honest. Do you really think the Giants are going to keep a potential ace like Lincecum out of the rotation in favor of Russ Ortiz, who held a ghastly 7.33 ERA over the previous two seasons? The Contra Costa Times speculates that maybe the Giants would be willing to trade Lowry or Morris to a team like the Yankees, who are desperate for starters. Perhaps something like that could happen.

The Giants will clear a spot for Lincecum, however they have to do it. They had given thought to turning him into a reliever, as some feel that he could be a lights-out closer. There's no doubt he could be a lights-out closer, but it's pretty obvious from looking at his minor league track record and stuff that he can be a lights-out starter, as well. We all know which is more valuable. Giants manager Bruce Bochy has acknowledged that the team has discussed promoting Lincecum, and he said they won't call him up and put him in the bullpen.

So when can we expect Lincecum's arrival? I expect him to be up sometime in May. He's simply not a minor league pitcher, and it doesn't make sense for the Giants to keep him there if he's perfectly capable of helping them out right now - which he is. Russ Ortiz could be just one bad start or two away from being moved to the bullpen or simply released, and, given his recent track record, there's a good chance that will happen shortly.
Texican
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby flooredyas » Tue May 01, 2007 9:01 am

Ortiz goes tonight at home vs. the Rockies. This is a game I will monitor intensly.
flooredyas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Tue May 01, 2007 9:31 am

Texican - where did you read this article at?
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 38)

Postby Guttenburg » Tue May 01, 2007 10:23 am

Texican wrote:One article I read today:

Lincecum could be here shortly
The Giants technically don't have any room in their rotation for Tim Lincecum. But make no mistake about it - if Lincecum continues to pitch this way at Triple-A Fresno, they will make room for him. Lincecum's stats this year for Fresno look like they were taken out of a video game: 31 innings, 0.29 ERA, 12 hits allowed, 46 strikeouts.
The 2006 first-round draft pick is a special talent, with a high 90s fastball and a curveball that is arguably the best in the minor leagues. As if Lincecum's stuff wasn't enough for hitters to deal with, he has a very deceptive delivery that makes it incredibly hard to pick up the ball. Some scouts believe that his small stature (5-11, 170 pounds) combined with his funky delivery will inevitably lead to arm problems, but so far he's been injury-free throughout his college and professional career.

Barry Zito, Matt Cain, Matt Morris and Noah Lowry are entrenched in the Giants rotation. The team's No. 5 starter, reclamation project Russ Ortiz, has pitched respectably so far (2-1, 4.50 ERA in four starts), but let's be honest. Do you really think the Giants are going to keep a potential ace like Lincecum out of the rotation in favor of Russ Ortiz, who held a ghastly 7.33 ERA over the previous two seasons? The Contra Costa Times speculates that maybe the Giants would be willing to trade Lowry or Morris to a team like the Yankees, who are desperate for starters. Perhaps something like that could happen.

The Giants will clear a spot for Lincecum, however they have to do it. They had given thought to turning him into a reliever, as some feel that he could be a lights-out closer. There's no doubt he could be a lights-out closer, but it's pretty obvious from looking at his minor league track record and stuff that he can be a lights-out starter, as well. We all know which is more valuable. Giants manager Bruce Bochy has acknowledged that the team has discussed promoting Lincecum, and he said they won't call him up and put him in the bullpen.

So when can we expect Lincecum's arrival? I expect him to be up sometime in May. He's simply not a minor league pitcher, and it doesn't make sense for the Giants to keep him there if he's perfectly capable of helping them out right now - which he is. Russ Ortiz could be just one bad start or two away from being moved to the bullpen or simply released, and, given his recent track record, there's a good chance that will happen shortly.

could you attribute this please?
Guttenburg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AmericanShipbuilding » Tue May 01, 2007 10:37 am

If it means anything to anyone, in an ESPN chat yesterday, BP's Will Carroll predicted Lincecum would be up in a little more than two weeks. (He also spoke in superlatives regarding Lincecum--calling him a "special" pitcher, the best SP call-up this year--but at this point, what else can be said?)
AmericanShipbuilding
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rookies and cream » Tue May 01, 2007 10:47 am

Would it be possible to merge this thread with the Lincecum thread in the minor leagues forum. I'm now finding myself looking in multiple places to find Timmy updates.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 46)

Postby jtbarr » Tue May 01, 2007 1:17 pm

The Giants have no plans to make Lincecum a reliever and promote him to the big club, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
Fantasy Source spin: As long as those in the Giants' rotation keep doing well, Lincecum will continue on in Triple-A. He had 14 strikeouts in six innings of work Sunday, so you know he is something special.
-stolen from SportingNews.com
jtbarr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates