Wanting to start a GM Keeper league of sorts, but have ????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wanting to start a GM Keeper league of sorts, but have ?????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wanting to start a GM Keeper league of sorts, but have ?????

Postby mcsarge21 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:15 am

The only problem I am really running into is where to limit the league.

I am thinking a 16-20 team league. Having 40 players on the Active roster, but also being able to have a much larger Minor League roster. Perhaps 40-60 players total for Minor Leaguers as well as spots for your IL guys.

My questions, and I have not really thought of all the ins and outs of a GM type league, cuz I have never seen one per say, only heard about them.

1. Is there a set salary guideline?, and if so what would it be at? Would it be like if you pick the Royals and your current teams salary is 45 Million dollars, is that your salary to begin with and then you have a Revenue system throughout the season to gain additional money? That seems to make the most sense to me. Unless anyone else has input that is clearer.

2. How many teams should there be? I am thinking like 20 teams MAX, I'd even like having maybe 16 Teams, thus leaving more teams to draft your Major and Minor League rosters from. I also think that the top teams like the A's, Yanks, Angels, Red Sox, Cubs, ETC will be the teams unavailable to begin with.

3. I would like to set it up to where there are contract option years, a set standard to do that, as well as a way to "negotiate" a salary with a player. Maybe by setting a standard Player to each position. Like Vladdy is the #1 OF, Arod is the #1 SS, Halladay is the #1 SP, Gagne is the #1 CP, etc, etc. Or even setting a price at each statistical category, and assigning a price to that category and going through and setting a players value on that contract year. I would also like to do Arbitrations, and Rule 5 Drafts with this league. But with those two I don't really have a clear understanding of doing such.

4. ANY input would be greatly appreciated, as you can see I am in the dark in a way, but I have 3 solid years of fantasy experience in Keeper Leagues based a little bit on this type of setup. If I can get all the kinks worked out of it, I think it would be extremely fun to do so. Obviously it would not get under way until the 2005 season, but I could easily set up the leagues rules, and make a website to go along with it in that amount of time.

5. Please add in any input, and if you commish a league, and do not mind me looking at your site, please send me a personal message with your website included. I will not post anything on your message boards, and will just be an outsider looking in for help.

6. The Backbone for the league is this. A 6X6 scoring system with AVG, HR, Runs, RBI's, Steals, and OBP along with WHIP, Wins, Saves, ERA, K's, and Holds. Standard Yahoo lineup more then likely with 2 Utility spots, as well as 4 SP, 2RP, and 2 P spots.

Thanks for all input

Sarge
The Curse of the Babe lives on. Damn that man. Go Cubbies and Bosox, World Series 2004
mcsarge21
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:57 am

That's a deep league. I know a few of our guys play leagues that deep. Here's a "bump" to get this back toward the top. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Arlo » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:49 am

1) This one's a matter of taste more than anything else. Some folks like to play with the actual salary limitations of their teams, others like to even the playing field by giving every team the same budget. Both have their merits...

2) Again, a matter of personal taste (Gee, these answers are really helful... ;-) ). If you want to go all out, there's nothing wrong with having an owner for every big league team. With hardly any free agents available, though, this style makes owning a team like the Tigers a true challenge. Definitely not everybody's cup of tea, but fun if you have a dedicated group of owners.

3) There are two ways to go about salary arbitration, contract negotiations, etc. Either create clear-cut formulas for everything, so that you only have to plug in numbers to figure out a player's demand's, or have the commish (or a committee) make these decisions. The former is a lot of work, but it's objective. The commish approach is also a lot of work, and you need an excellent commish.

Just a couple random thoughts. Sounds like this will be a very in-depth league! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers