Secrets/Strategies to auto yahoo drafts?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Secrets/Strategies to auto yahoo drafts??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Secrets/Strategies to auto yahoo drafts??

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:03 pm

I'm currently editing my list for my yahoo auto-draft, and have a few questions to those who have been sucessful in auto-drafts.

1) After I get past the first 15 guys I find "runs" in rankings. Such as Jeter and Tejada very close in my rankings. I'm concerned about this, because even though I think they are correctly ranked, I can see myself drafting both during the autodraft (bookends). Should I de-rank or skip one and move on to the next guy?

2) Basically the same question with pitchers. Do you find yourself ranking quite a few pitchers very close together? This might be benifical because a good pitching staff is nice, but how much is too much before you start sacrificing hitting in a autodraft?

3) Does it even matter? I mean after the first 50 guys, isnt that where the stategy is?

As far as my rankings go, I'm moving a lot of closers down, but other than that I am stumped on overall strategy changes with auto-draft vs live.

Any help would be appreciated.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby The Jury » Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:24 pm

I'd just stay away from an autodraft. If you want to use strategy in draft, be there and pick the right players at the right times. Autodrafts are hard to prepare for and very hard to predict.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bennyy22 » Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:28 am

just rank your players how you think they are ranked. because there are other people in the league(right?), so they will have pick before your pick and next picks. so the chances are that the pitchers that are close together are most likley to be taken by your next pick. unless you have like last or close to last pick. ive done auto draft team and it turned pretty good. just try raning them how you think they are ranked. ;-D
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

-Yogi Berra
Bennyy22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zoob » Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:06 am

I tried an experiment last year and ended up in losing by 4 points because Yahoo didn't tell me TWICE that Lopez was pitching. Here's what I did:

I took the top 60 pitchers only and set them to auto-draft SP,SP,SP,RP...heh heh...with the remainder of the ranks left intact. I figured correctly that after those were drafted, I'd always have a choice of newcomers/regulars that got hot for my batters. Now that I think about it, after every 10 or so ranked, I should have had a slugger I thought that might have been available...but I didn't.

I would have won if a few things didn't go haywire. First, I dropped Wade Miller after suffering with him for 4 months. Of course, someone grabbed him and he immediately got hotter than "L". The guy who grabbed him had dropped Rodrigo Lopez...and Yahoo failed to notify me when he was bumped up a day 2 turns in a row. Had it not been for either dropping Miller or 2 missed Lopez starts, I would have won.

I finished with 95 points and the winner with 99... :~(
[color=blue]Coors Field [u]#1[/u][/color]
Zoob
College Coach
College Coach

Another bad thing about Yahoo autodrafts...

Postby Ajax » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:40 am

....you might not even end up in an autodraft. If a live drafting league doesn't have 12 teams at draft time, they just add autodraft teams. Want a bad team? Just let the comp. do your drafting while everybody else is drafting live.
Ajax
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers