Manny Ramirez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny Ramirez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Manny Ramirez

Postby jake_harv88 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:01 pm

Ok so today during the yankees game the guys on the YES network, who i hate by the way, spent a good 5 mins talking about manny ramirez and how very few players can get away with all the negativity he brings. Personally i'm getting pretty sick of this. What does manny really do wrong? He goes out on the field and plays well almost every single day (minus he predictable slow start). What kind of special treatment does manny really get? I mean yeah he shows up to camp late but he was taking care of his moms and showed up two days before he was supposed to. Whats the deal with the media, just because manny shuts them out they tend to pick on him alot. The question is does Manny really get that much special treatment? Because i dont think he does....
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CheeseBeger » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:04 pm

All the trade demands each year really do get old.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby dooz » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:06 pm

And that weird weave he's been rocking.

That is just offensive....
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:29 pm

From Wikipedia:

* The Original Incident April 4, 1994 - In his first game of his rookie season, Manny hit a two run double in the eighth to tie the game. After the double the announcers commented on how he is a tremendous young hitter, but his concentration has been questioned. Manny was then picked off at second base by the catcher. Ramirez was pinch run for in the 10th inning after drawing a walk.[8]

* December 10, 2001 - Ramírez, in his first season with Boston, claims he is uncomfortable, prompting the new ownership group to create a separate interview room, to ease Manny's transition with the Red Sox.[9]

* May 18, 2002 - Loses diamond earring sliding into third base during a rehab start with the Pawtucket Red Sox. After the game, 13 PawSox players and the Syracuse grounds crew combed the third base area and found the stud, but not the diamond that was worth a reported $15,000.[10]

* August 29, 2003 - Manny expresses in an ESPN interview that he would like to play for the New York Yankees.[11]

* August 30, 2003 - Manny misses several games with pharyngitis amid media speculation that he is well enough to play. When the New York Yankees come to town to play, Manny is still too sick to play, but is seen at the downstairs bar of his hotel with Yankees player and close friend Enrique Wilson.[12]

* September 4, 2003 - Manny refuses to pinch hit in a game against Philadelphia, angering manager Grady Little, who benches him the next game.[13]

* July 21, 2004 - From his spot in left-center field, Manny inexplicably makes a diving play to cut off a relay throw from center fielder Johnny Damon, allowing David Newhan of the Orioles to score on an inside-the-park home run.[14]

* July 31, 2005 - After heavy speculation that he would force a trade, Manny enters the game versus the Minnesota Twins as a pinch-hitter in the bottom of the 8th inning, to a standing ovation 54 minutes after the 4:00 trading deadline had passed (he had been booed his two previous games). Ramírez proceeds to chop an RBI single up the middle off Juan Rincon that would prove to be the game-winning hit. After the game, Ramirez is quoted as saying, "Forget about the trade, man. This is the place I want to be, man. It's great, man. They love me here, man. This is the place to be. 'Manny being Manny,' he's great, man... we've been through a lot, this is the place for me, I'm just happy to be here... I'm back!" [15] [16]

* August 24, 2005 - Ramírez, up with one out and the bases loaded, hits a ground ball but doesn't run down the first base line, resulting in an inning-ending double play. The Kansas City Royals rally to tie the game, and eventually win in extra innings.[17]

* August 2006- Manny pulls out of the lineup after the Red Sox lose five games straight at home against the Yankees. Manny did not return to the lineup for the remainder of the season. [4]

* April 2007- Manny is listed on Ebay auctioning off a grill. Only it was not his, but his neighbor's. Manny agreed to be pictured with the grill and, as a result, Manny would get a share of the profits.
-Lane
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby roncool11 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:28 pm

"April 2007- Manny is listed on Ebay auctioning off a grill. Only it was not his, but his neighbor's. Manny agreed to be pictured with the grill and, as a result, Manny would get a share of the profits."

AHAHAHAHA wat a hobo he makes millions of dollars a year yet he needs to make a couple dollars elling a BBQ!!!!!!!!! ahahahahaa
roncool11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:33 pm

He does a lot of little weird things like selling his grill on ebay, but nothing that's really all that detremental to the team.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby pappymojo » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:03 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:From Wikipedia:

* The Original Incident April 4, 1994 - In his first game of his rookie season, Manny hit a two run double in the eighth to tie the game. After the double the announcers commented on how he is a tremendous young hitter, but his concentration has been questioned. Manny was then picked off at second base by the catcher. Ramirez was pinch run for in the 10th inning after drawing a walk.[8]

* December 10, 2001 - Ramírez, in his first season with Boston, claims he is uncomfortable, prompting the new ownership group to create a separate interview room, to ease Manny's transition with the Red Sox.[9]

* May 18, 2002 - Loses diamond earring sliding into third base during a rehab start with the Pawtucket Red Sox. After the game, 13 PawSox players and the Syracuse grounds crew combed the third base area and found the stud, but not the diamond that was worth a reported $15,000.[10]

* August 29, 2003 - Manny expresses in an ESPN interview that he would like to play for the New York Yankees.[11]

* August 30, 2003 - Manny misses several games with pharyngitis amid media speculation that he is well enough to play. When the New York Yankees come to town to play, Manny is still too sick to play, but is seen at the downstairs bar of his hotel with Yankees player and close friend Enrique Wilson.[12]

* September 4, 2003 - Manny refuses to pinch hit in a game against Philadelphia, angering manager Grady Little, who benches him the next game.[13]

* July 21, 2004 - From his spot in left-center field, Manny inexplicably makes a diving play to cut off a relay throw from center fielder Johnny Damon, allowing David Newhan of the Orioles to score on an inside-the-park home run.[14]

* July 31, 2005 - After heavy speculation that he would force a trade, Manny enters the game versus the Minnesota Twins as a pinch-hitter in the bottom of the 8th inning, to a standing ovation 54 minutes after the 4:00 trading deadline had passed (he had been booed his two previous games). Ramírez proceeds to chop an RBI single up the middle off Juan Rincon that would prove to be the game-winning hit. After the game, Ramirez is quoted as saying, "Forget about the trade, man. This is the place I want to be, man. It's great, man. They love me here, man. This is the place to be. 'Manny being Manny,' he's great, man... we've been through a lot, this is the place for me, I'm just happy to be here... I'm back!" [15] [16]

* August 24, 2005 - Ramírez, up with one out and the bases loaded, hits a ground ball but doesn't run down the first base line, resulting in an inning-ending double play. The Kansas City Royals rally to tie the game, and eventually win in extra innings.[17]

* August 2006- Manny pulls out of the lineup after the Red Sox lose five games straight at home against the Yankees. Manny did not return to the lineup for the remainder of the season. [4]

* April 2007- Manny is listed on Ebay auctioning off a grill. Only it was not his, but his neighbor's. Manny agreed to be pictured with the grill and, as a result, Manny would get a share of the profits.

From http://www.mannyramirez.com

* He received All-City honors in 1989, '90 and '91 and was named New York City Public Schools "High School Player of the Year"

* On September 2, 1993, Manny made his major league debut, going 0 for 4 in Minnesota. However, the next night, in his second major league game, Manny exploded with three extra-base hits (two homers and a ground-rule double) in front of his family and friends against his hometown Yankees.

* 1994, Manny finished second for rookie of the year honors.

* In 1995, Manny hit .308 with 31 home runs and 107 RBI and was named an MLB All-Star for the first time.

* From 1995 to 1999 (Manny's last year), Cleveland made the post season every year.

* On December 12, 2000, Manny signed a $160 million, eight-year contract to play with the Boston Red Sox.

* In 2001, He was named A.L. Player of the Month for April batting .408 (40-98) w/5 2B, 9 HR, 31 RBI and a .735 slugging pct...Recorded his 49th and 50th RBI on 5/17 to become the 2nd quickest Sox player to reach 50 RBI in his 1st 40 G (Walt Dropo, 50 RBI in his 1st 36 G, the Sox 49th G, in 1950)...Batted .347 (34-98) w/7 HR, 27 RBI, .662 slugging pct. in 26 G in May...Hit safely in 104 of his 142 games played...Named to The Sporting News Silver Slugger Team.

* In 2002, Won the A.L. batting title hitting and Silver Slugger Award .349 (152-436) despite missing 39 games with a fractured left index finger...Finished 1st in the A.L. in batting .348 (46-132) after the 6th inning and 1st w/a .360 road batting avg. (80-222)...Led Sox w/30 game-tying, go-ahead RBI incl. 27 after 7/16

* In 2003, slammed a team-leading 37 homers, drove in 104, scored 117 and ranked 2nd in the league with a .325 batting average in a career-high 154 games...voted to start the All-Star Game, he led the A.L. for the 2nd year in a row with a .427 on-base percentage, aided by a career-high 97 bases on balls...was intentionally walked a league-high 28 times, most ever by a Red Sox right-handed hitter...finished 6th in A.L. MVP voting, his 6th straight top 10 finish...won his 6th A.L. Silver Slugger Award, his 5th in a row...trailed only Carlos Delgado in the A.L. with a 1.014 OPS.

* 2004, - With 43 homers, Ramirez captured his first career home run title, the first by a Red Sox since Tony Armas clubbed 43 homers in 1984...it was the 18th home run title in franchise history. In addition to leading the league in homers, Manny topped the A.L. in home run ratio (one every 13.2 at-bats), slugging (.613) and OPS (1.010) and ranked 2nd with 87 extra-base hits, tied for 2nd with an RBI every 4.4 atbats, 3rd with 130 RBI, 4th with 348 total bases and 7th with a .340 average with runners in scoring position.

* The Boston Red Sox became the 2004 World Champions, And Manny 's performance earned him the World Series Most Valuable Player trophy.

seems to me that he's worth the head-ache. ;-D [/quote]
pappymojo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby crimson knuckles » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:53 pm

He was caught wearing headphones/listening to music while in the outfield one game.
crimson knuckles
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pappymojo » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:06 pm

crimson knuckles wrote:He was caught wearing headphones/listening to music while in the outfield one game.

I don't think that's true. he was wearing a pair of sunglasses that had a built in mp3 player. no one proved that he was listening to music. don't think it was ever even suggested.
pappymojo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers