Cardinal Killed last night-RIP Josh Hancock - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cardinal Killed last night-RIP Josh Hancock

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cardinal Killed last night-RIP Josh Hancock

Postby thedude » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:34 pm

ST. LOUIS -- Josh Hancock, a key member of the bullpen that helped the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series last season, was killed in a car crash early Sunday.

The Cardinals postponed their home game Sunday night against the Chicago Cubs. The team and the St. Louis Police Department are scheduled to meet with the media at 4 p.m. ET at Busch Stadium.

A vehicle driven by the 29-year-old Hancock apparently struck a truck that was assisting a disabled vehicle, team spokesman Brian Bartow said. The Cardinals and police were expected to make a statement later in the day at Busch Stadium.

Hancock's death is the second of a Cardinals player in less than five years. Pitcher Darryl Kile was found dead in a Chicago hotel room in June 2002. The 33-year-old Kile died of a coronary artery blockage.

Hancock, who pitched three innings of relief in Saturday's 8-1 loss to the Cubs, played for four major league clubs. He went 3-3 with a 4.09 ERA in 62 regular-season appearances for the Cardinals last season and pitched in three postseason games. He was 0-1 with a 3.55 ERA in eight games this season.

Hancock, who is single, made his offseason home in St. Louis. He was the only player to attend the premiere of a DVD documenting the Cardinals' unlikely run to their 10th World Series championship after winning only 83 regular-season games.

Hancock joined the Cardinals in spring training last season after the Cincinnati Reds released him for violating a weight clause in his contract. He had been a starter the previous year with Cincinnati, but missed 133 games because of groin and elbow injuries. He also pitched for Boston and Philadelphia.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:35 pm

That's sad. RIP
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby thedude » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:35 pm

i didn't see the first post my bad.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:36 pm

Wow, that sucks. I feel bad for the Cards. This is as sudden as the Kile thing and really kind of takes the wind out of the Cubs/ Cards hype. :,-(
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:39 pm

It's always sad to see this kind of thing.

The Broncos lost Damien Nash and Darrent Williams this offseason. These guys are too young to be dying and we've seen an unusual amount of it lately.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Return to Baseball Leftovers