Josh Hancock - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Josh Hancock

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jfg » Thu May 24, 2007 6:12 pm

The estate definitely has a good case. But, it's sad that they do. Hancock is the most at fault and his estate won't lose a penny but the others who were 1 or 2 percent at fault will have to pay. What will happen is that they Hancocks lawyers will throw out a sum of money and say that the others are responsible for 1-2 percent of that sum because that's how much they are at fault. That's wrong but I bet they get it.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ryno23 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:08 pm

Screw the Hancock family for bringing such a ridiculous lawsuit. Screw them all. I hope they don't get one dime.
Ryno23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ryno23 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:12 pm

brock middlebrook wrote:Their reckless actions helped cause a death.

The driver if the broken vehicle gets on a public highway, knowing that his car is in a state of disrepair, and creates a hazard for everybody.

The tow truck driver fails to notify police, fails to light any flares and proceeds in traffic in complete violation of any minimum speed limit.

The estate might actually have a good case here.

The car wasn't knowingly in a "state of disrepair" when he got on the interstate; it was in an accident before a wasted Hancock plowed into the back of the tow truck, which by the way had it's flashing lights on, at a high rate of speed. Was Hancock so wasted that he couldn't determine what the flashing lights were for? Did he even see the lights?

STL Today

Best part: "The intoxication of Joshua Morgan Hancock on said occasion was involuntary."

What a scumbag lawyer.
Ryno23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Thu May 24, 2007 9:23 pm

jfg wrote:The estate definitely has a good case. But, it's sad that they do. Hancock is the most at fault and his estate won't lose a penny but the others who were 1 or 2 percent at fault will have to pay. What will happen is that they Hancocks lawyers will throw out a sum of money and say that the others are responsible for 1-2 percent of that sum because that's how much they are at fault. That's wrong but I bet they get it.

It is sad that they do have a case as I believe that there has been case law where drinking establishments have been found liable for letting patrons drive home drunk.
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dweenmachine » Thu May 24, 2007 9:38 pm

The members of Josh Hancock's family who are filing this law suit should be ashamed of themselves. They are making an already bad situation, even worse. :-[

I mean, how can someone honestly think that the driver of the broken down vehicle be at fault in this situation? I can understand someone suing a restaurant or something for over-serving someone who is already clearly intoxicated... too an extent, but this? C'mon!!!

Like many who have already said it in this thread, the only person at fault here is Josh Hancock.
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Doughhead » Thu May 24, 2007 9:40 pm

What a load of b.s. Hancock's father should be ashamed of himself for this.

Perhaps this sheds some light on Hancock's complete lack of respect for others--it's apparent that his father is more interested in finger-pointing and needlessly spreading this tragedy to the lives of others than in mourning his son in a more appropriate way. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Wouldn't a more fitting end to this story be for Mr. Hancock to dedicate his life to educating young people on the dangers of careless/drunk driving? This frivolous lawsuit just compounds the sadness of the original tragedy. What a pity.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Thu May 24, 2007 10:37 pm

Man his father is a disgrace... He's not going to have any fun when the defense attorney brings up all the stupid things his son was doing while he crashed his own car.

What a waste. :-t
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JTWood » Thu May 24, 2007 11:23 pm

Doughhead wrote:I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Sadly, the more I read on this story today, the more I agreed with this statement.

:-/
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Fri May 25, 2007 12:56 am

If your child was killed in this situation would you not do everything you could to place fault on and be compensated by the sources you felt were ethically responsible?

Something tells me the parents understand it this way: Alcohol doesn't just effect judgement , it makes you want sex and drugs and passionate things like laughing hard with friends, fighting or making big fires. Our son was served beyond what he legally should have been according X law (If you live in a state with a servers permit licensing and education system you know how liable the owner can be), which caused a severe problem in judgement leading to illegal drug use and driving, however if the vehicle our son crashed in to would have been properly made visible according to X law, he would have had better chance to live.

We weren't there and it's probably ultimately his fault, but we don't know, so this bashing of a dead man's father and family seems a little out of line.

My question is, when do they sue the cell phone company for allowing his phone to operate in a vehicle. :-b
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri May 25, 2007 10:33 am

brock middlebrook wrote:
BillyHallDisciple wrote:I seriously don't understand how the driver of the stalled vehicle and tow truck driver are named as defendants in the lawsuit. How exactly does that work???

Their reckless actions helped cause a death.

The driver if the broken vehicle gets on a public highway, knowing that his car is in a state of disrepair, and creates a hazard for everybody.

The tow truck driver fails to notify police, fails to light any flares and proceeds in traffic in complete violation of any minimum speed limit.

The estate might actually have a good case here.

A good case?? The restaurant offered him a cab. Didn't he hit what was basically a parked car?? While talking on a cellphone?? And speeding?? And drunk?? And possibly stoned?? If they get a dime, this sucks. :-t
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers