Josh Hancock - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Josh Hancock

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri May 04, 2007 11:03 pm

I agree, this is a tragedy, but it's up to people to take care of themselves ultimately. Major league players make tons of money, I mean how about paying for a cab when you're going out partying that hard? People with a lot less income do it all the time.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Doughhead » Fri May 04, 2007 11:06 pm

Payne Dailey wrote:Not to be crass but it's Busch. The franchise was built by beer. It's sad that Hancock died but I put the blame on him.

Yeah, it's tempting to look to point the finger here. It's also tempting to blame the bar he left for letting him get behind the wheel. But the bottom line is that Josh Hancock made a big mistake that ended up costing him his life. The fact that he was putting the lives of innocent people in danger is the scariest thing here IMO. Imagine how much different this story would be playing if that tow truck driver had been killed (and judging by the photo of Hancock's SUV, it's a minor miracle that he wasn't).

It's tremendously sad that a young man lost his life (particularly because we are now learning how completely avoidable it was). But the issue should not be about the propriety of the Cardinals furnishing its players with booze. These are grown men who make millions of dollars. They need to be responsible for choosing to take the proper transportation (which is readily available) if they choose to drink. There's absolutely no excuse for Hancock's poor decision-making. If the report is to true (speeding, driving drunk, talking on a cell phone, not wearing a seat belt, etc.), Hancock was being completely reckless on the night of his death. If he had just taken a cab...
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby sportsaddict » Sat May 05, 2007 12:58 am

Doughhead wrote:
Payne Dailey wrote:Not to be crass but it's Busch. The franchise was built by beer. It's sad that Hancock died but I put the blame on him.

Yeah, it's tempting to look to point the finger here. It's also tempting to blame the bar he left for letting him get behind the wheel. But the bottom line is that Josh Hancock made a big mistake that ended up costing him his life. The fact that he was putting the lives of innocent people in danger is the scariest thing here IMO. Imagine how much different this story would be playing if that tow truck driver had been killed (and judging by the photo of Hancock's SUV, it's a minor miracle that he wasn't).

It's tremendously sad that a young man lost his life (particularly because we are now learning how completely avoidable it was). But the issue should not be about the propriety of the Cardinals furnishing its players with booze. These are grown men who make millions of dollars. They need to be responsible for choosing to take the proper transportation (which is readily available) if they choose to drink. There's absolutely no excuse for Hancock's poor decision-making. If the report is to true (speeding, driving drunk, talking on a cell phone, not wearing a seat belt, etc.), Hancock was being completely reckless on the night of his death. If he had just taken a cab...

Good post, I completely agree with everything you said. There are more and more idiots out there every day, its just sickening. Lenoard Little of the Rams kills an innocent woman a few years back, gets another DUI, and nothing happens. There have been so many stories, and its so easily avoidable which makes it even more ridiculous. Honestly a DUI needs to be a much more punishable offense these days. I say if you get a DUI they should lock you up for a year or something. Keep these idiots off the street because innocent people will suffer. Drinking and driving is easily one of the stupidest decisions you can ever make. I know a lot of people on here will say that DUI's aren't big deals and what not, but I don't know why this country doesn't punish them. Something needs to be done, something more than just a slap on the wrist needs to happen when you're drinking and driving.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby master453 » Sat May 05, 2007 10:03 pm

look guys i'm not trying to blame the cards for anything. people are responsible for their own actions.

i'm simply saying that IMO providing alcohol in a work environment is irresponsible, and sets a bad example.

and btw comparing choking on food or developing diabetes from coffee consumption, to drunk driving is absurd. that kind of arguement just shows that so many people out there dont still dont understand what a serious problem alcohol and drug use is in society.
master453
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby negola_d » Sun May 06, 2007 5:43 am

He was drunk. He had Marihuana in the car. He was way over the speed limit. And he was on the cellphone.
Only one man is responsible for his death. JOSH HANCOCK!
I dont care what kinda guy he was. What he did was reckless and dangerous to everyone! And the only good thing that asshole didnt kill anyone else.
If he kills a kid in another car everyone speaks differently.
negola_d
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StlSluggers » Thu May 24, 2007 3:23 pm

I don't know how to feel about this:

ST. LOUIS -- The father of the late St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Josh Hancock has filed a lawsuit, claiming that a popular restaurant continued to provide drinks to the reliever even though he was clearly intoxicated before the drunk-driving crash that killed him.

The lawsuit brought by Dean Hancock names Mike Shannon's Restaurant, which is owned by the long-time Cardinals broadcaster. It also names Shannon's daughter, who's the restaurant manager.

Police say Hancock was drunk, speeding and using a cell phone when his SUV struck the back of a tow truck in the early hours of April 29.

Also named in the lawsuit are the tow truck company and driver and the driver of the car who was getting help from the tow truck on Interstate 64.

My first instinct is to be shocked by the breadth of the suit. He's suing the driver of the broken down car. Wow.

Beyond that, I can't help but think that the fact that there's no way that Shannon's can be held responsible. Hancock had more than just alcohol distracting him. He was drunk, speeding, using a PDA, and possibly stoned. Take your choice. Any of those by itself could have killed him.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu May 24, 2007 3:34 pm

wow thats completely bogus if you ask me. hancock is a grown man and makes his own decisions.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ZAZ » Thu May 24, 2007 3:50 pm

Talk about an absolutely ridiculous lawsuit! I'm sure the father will say he's not out for money but trying to correct problems with the serving of alcohol at restaurants and now I guess the unknown issues of flat tires! However, it's obviously he's really out to blame anyone and anything for his son's death other than his son's repeated bad decision making concerning alcohol and driving. Hope the suit never makes it to court. The father should just try to deal with the tragedy of his son's waisted potential and not try to pin blame on someone who served him or had to audacity to blow a tire one night. 8-o
ZAZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu May 24, 2007 4:47 pm

I seriously don't understand how the driver of the stalled vehicle and tow truck driver are named as defendants in the lawsuit. How exactly does that work???
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby brock middlebrook » Thu May 24, 2007 5:55 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:I seriously don't understand how the driver of the stalled vehicle and tow truck driver are named as defendants in the lawsuit. How exactly does that work???

Their reckless actions helped cause a death.

The driver if the broken vehicle gets on a public highway, knowing that his car is in a state of disrepair, and creates a hazard for everybody.

The tow truck driver fails to notify police, fails to light any flares and proceeds in traffic in complete violation of any minimum speed limit.

The estate might actually have a good case here.
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers