Josh Hancock - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Josh Hancock

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby janssenlbd » Fri May 04, 2007 5:03 pm

Doughhead wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Drunk, possibly high and talking on a cell phone while speeding and not wearing a seatbelt. Good show, Josh.

Not that this diminishes the tragedy--perhaps even makes it seem more senseless and preventable--but what a terribly irresponsible act. Thank God nobody else was hurt or killed.

How come these millionaire ballplayers (and Hancock's own manager for that matter!) can't ever seem to afford a cab?

he was talking to a female "friend" and was on his way to meet her at another bar. he was drunk, probably high, talking on his cell maybe trying to get laid, and not wearing a seatbelt.

what happened is truly horrible, but i disagree that nobody else got hurt. obviously, he has friends/family that have been devestated by the irresponsible choices he made.

i hope this story isn't overly sugar-coated. i hope the fact that he was piss-drunk, tallking on his cell phone, and high (if the tests come out positive) are emphasized over and over. maybe it will prevent the same thing from happening to other people.
C: Barrett
1b: Teixeira
2b: Upton
SS: Rollins
3b: Braun
OF: Soriano, Lee, Rios
Util: Holliday
BN: Atkins, Hart, A. Jones

SP: Santana, Halladay
RP: Putz, Papelbon
P: Lincecum, Ol. Perez, Bush
BN: Gallardo, Sheets(DL), P. Martinez(DL)
janssenlbd
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri May 04, 2007 5:19 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:
Police Chief Joe Mokwa said 8.55 grams of marijuana were found in Hancock's car.

just wondering, is marijuana prevalent among major leaguers or st. louis ball players? i remember when darryl kile passed away they found marijuana in his hotel room also.

I remember hearing that rumor, but I never heard any official confirmation of that.

i think it was pretty much confirmed, i remember the doctors/coroners coming out to say that the marijuana had nothing to do with his death though.

Marijuana is prevalent among people. It certainly didn't play any role in Kile's death, and though it probably played some role in the degree of Josh's inebriation, the BAC cited along with the distraction of talking on a cell-phone was plenty enough incapacitation to rear end a tow truck at a high speed.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby master453 » Fri May 04, 2007 5:42 pm

sad. and idiotic.

drunk, high, on the phone. i seriously hope this gets the publicity and sets a message against this stuff.

however, the part that sickened me as much as anything was this:

even after larussa's drunk driving incident this year and hancock's death- "Jocketty and Cardinals manager Tony La Russa both acknowledged the Cardinals continue to provide alcohol to players after games, but said use of alcohol in the clubhouse has diminished over the years. Jocketty said the team will "examine and discuss" its policy. "

awful.
master453
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri May 04, 2007 6:06 pm

master453 wrote:sad. and idiotic.

drunk, high, on the phone. i seriously hope this gets the publicity and sets a message against this stuff.

even after larussa's drunk driving incident this year and hancock's death- "Jocketty and Cardinals manager Tony La Russa both acknowledged the Cardinals continue to provide alcohol to players after games, but said use of alcohol in the clubhouse has diminished over the years. Jocketty said the team will "examine and discuss" its policy. "

awful.

I have no problem with that whatsoever.

If one player choked and died on some food, and another was saved by the heimlich maneuver would you say the team should stop providing food after games?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby master453 » Fri May 04, 2007 7:25 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

awful.

If one player choked and died on some food, and another was saved by the heimlich maneuver would you say the team should stop providing food after games?

come on man, thats absurd and like comparing apples to oranges. 2 high profile DUI cases in 2 months and the cards organization PROVIDES, not just allows mind you, but provides alcohol in the clubhouse? The clubhouse is a "work" environment. i dont know too many employers that after the days work give you a beer on the premises before you go home.

note that in the last hour the cards came out and banned alcohol from the clubhouse. good move. ;-D
master453
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mrkrab2003 » Fri May 04, 2007 7:36 pm

jswede wrote:
greenandgold wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:It's official. He was completely drunk (0.157 BAC) and not wearing a seat belt. However, that wouldn't have saved him. The flat-bed tow truck he ran into basically took his head off, which brings up one of my favorite pet peeves. Why are so many vehicles allowed to be constructed in such deadly designs? Flat-bed tow trucks, those tall delivery vans, even some school buses... A girl from my high school was killed when she rear-ended a school bus at 15 mph. It basically took her head off.

Blame Reagan. There were many social movements in the 70's aimed at consumer protection, notably the Nader Raiders. Reagan's legacy is deregulation and removal of oversight in the name of Capitalism.

I agree - Reagan sure was great. I'd add to his legacy ending to Cold War and pulling the economy out of stagflation and on to the greatest boom in the history of the world.

but I'm getting off the point - what's this flat-bed-truck-on-the-side-of-the-highway regulation bill he vetoed?

Reagan didnt end the cold war. That was a long process and reagan was just in office when it ended. to give credit to him for it doesnt make much sense.
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sportsaddict » Fri May 04, 2007 7:41 pm

master453 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

awful.

come on man, thats absurd and like comparing apples to oranges. 2 high profile DUI cases in 2 months and the cards organization PROVIDES, not just allows mind you, but provides alcohol in the clubhouse? The clubhouse is a "work" environment. i dont know too many employers that after the days work give you a beer on the premises before you go home.

note that in the last hour the cards came out and banned alcohol from the clubhouse. good move. ;-D[/quote

I see what you're saying but the alcohol provided for the Cards after the game is probably not used by them to get drunk and is probably just consumed casually. And I'm sure most teams provide some type of alcohol after games, but nothing hardcore and nothing the players would take too far.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri May 04, 2007 9:22 pm

master453 wrote:come on man, thats absurd and like comparing apples to oranges. 2 high profile DUI cases in 2 months and the cards organization PROVIDES, not just allows mind you, but provides alcohol in the clubhouse? The clubhouse is a "work" environment. i dont know too many employers that after the days work give you a beer on the premises before you go home.

Of those two high-profile cases, how many were because of alcohol that the team provided? This is another case of a couple of individuals making poor decisions resulting in someone overreacting and affecting dozens of other people, who by all accounts have never caused any problems by being offered some alcohol after a game.

Also, there are plenty of organizations that allow and/or furnish alcohol at work. I work for one now, I've worked for them previously. It depends on the industry, obviously, and ownership, but it's not as if it's some far-out notion that is completely unheard of.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Fri May 04, 2007 10:32 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
master453 wrote:come on man, thats absurd and like comparing apples to oranges. 2 high profile DUI cases in 2 months and the cards organization PROVIDES, not just allows mind you, but provides alcohol in the clubhouse? The clubhouse is a "work" environment. i dont know too many employers that after the days work give you a beer on the premises before you go home.

Of those two high-profile cases, how many were because of alcohol that the team provided?

Bingo.

Hey master... I heard of some people that developed diabetes, and they drink lots of coffee - loaded with sugar - that their work provided. Crazy stuff, huh?

;-7
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Payne Dailey » Fri May 04, 2007 10:51 pm

Not to be crass but it's Busch. The franchise was built by beer. It's sad that Hancock died but I put the blame on him.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers