Sosa - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sosa

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sosa

Postby Madison » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:28 am

Tribe-Fan wrote:
punturere wrote:I was reading the Rose thread and someone said he shouldn't be allowed back because he cheated and lied to baseball fans. And what about Sosa? He should be banned from baseball. I think using a corked bat is worse than betting. However, Sosa got a suspension of a few games and now is portrayed by some part of the media as a victim and the rest of the media seems to have forgotten all about that incident. I don't get it.

A sign hangs in every major league clubhouse. It reads:

"Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible."

That's it, short and simple. Pete broke this rule and he's out. Period. There is no such rule for corking a bat.

Tribe hit it on the nose. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sosa

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:22 am

punturere wrote:I was reading the Rose thread and someone said he shouldn't be allowed back because he cheated and lied to baseball fans. And what about Sosa? He should be banned from baseball. I think using a corked bat is worse than betting.

Corking a bat is like putting pine tar too far up the bat, or stealing a sign, or scuffing a ball. Betting means you can alter the outcome. No one will go to a game if they think the players have bets on them.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:32 am

kentx12 wrote:
Erboes wrote:Cheating is part of the fabric of the game. Some of the most colorful characters were blatant cheaters. I enjoy that aspect of it. Gambling, though, is very bad news.

I will tell my age here but I remember Gaylord Perry, He was always getting caught doing something.

I was just about to say that..............Gaylord Perry pretty much dedicated his career to finding new ways of cheating. Not that it was right, but it's kinda funny that it took umpires so long to actually catch him in the act of altering a ball.

Brian Moeller once glued a small circular piece of sandpaper to his thumb in order to scuff it and get a better grip. I'd rather have those antics then somebody betting on baseball...especially when that somebody has control over the outcome of the game (as in a manager - ahem, Pete Rose).

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:14 am

anyone remember the Albert Belle incident where the bat in question was stolen from the umpire's locker room?

lol
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Madison » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:22 pm

trevisc wrote:anyone remember the Albert Belle incident where the bat in question was stolen from the umpire's locker room?

lol

I watched that game. Funny stuff. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LCBOY » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:02 pm

kentx12 wrote:
Erboes wrote:Cheating is part of the fabric of the game. Some of the most colorful characters were blatant cheaters. I enjoy that aspect of it. Gambling, though, is very bad news.

I will tell my age here but I remember Gaylord Perry, He was always getting caught doing something.

I also grew up watching baseball in the late 70s. However Gaylord Perry was only caught once doctoring a ball. I believe it was in 1982.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StLrEdBiRdS2004 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:11 pm

i used to like sammy, but now I'm not a fan. He cheated and thats not right. I also think Brett Boone is definitely on steroids.

http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=1400
StLrEdBiRdS2004
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Rose

Postby Moo » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:39 am

What Pete Rose did threatened to turn baseball into the WWF. I mean if the games are fixed, which is the path baseball would have been headed if not for the banning of Rose, where is the sport? Baseball would have been simply entertainment. Heck Vince McMahon might be the commish now. I say ban Rose for life no HOF no baseball send the FBI in and confiscate anything baseball related including his grandson's whiffle ball bat.

Later,
The Cow
Moo

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers