Sosa - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sosa

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sosa

Postby punturere » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:38 pm

I was reading the Rose thread and someone said he shouldn't be allowed back because he cheated and lied to baseball fans. And what about Sosa? He should be banned from baseball. I think using a corked bat is worse than betting. However, Sosa got a suspension of a few games and now is portrayed by some part of the media as a victim and the rest of the media seems to have forgotten all about that incident. I don't get it.
punturere
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sosa

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:39 pm

punturere wrote:I was reading the Rose thread and someone said he shouldn't be allowed back because he cheated and lied to baseball fans. And what about Sosa? He should be banned from baseball. I think using a corked bat is worse than betting. However, Sosa got a suspension of a few games and now is portrayed by some part of the media as a victim and the rest of the media seems to have forgotten all about that incident. I don't get it.

Gambling on your own team's games and corking a bat are horses of a different color.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:43 pm

shortsavage wrote:
punturere wrote:I was reading the Rose thread and someone said he shouldn't be allowed back because he cheated and lied to baseball fans. And what about Sosa? He should be banned from baseball. I think using a corked bat is worse than betting. However, Sosa got a suspension of a few games and now is portrayed by some part of the media as a victim and the rest of the media seems to have forgotten all about that incident. I don't get it.

Gambling on your own team's games and corking a bat are horses of a different color.

I'd say 25% of the people in the HOF cheated or at least tried.

Betting on Baseball is very different.
ask Steve Howe.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Erboes » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:49 pm

Cheating is part of the fabric of the game. Some of the most colorful characters were blatant cheaters. I enjoy that aspect of it. Gambling, though, is very bad news.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tribe-Fan » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:51 pm

A sign hangs in every major league clubhouse. It reads:

"Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible."

That's it, short and simple. Pete broke this rule and he's out. Period. There is no such rule for corking a bat.
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Swinger » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:53 pm

Erboes wrote:Cheating is part of the fabric of the game. Some of the most colorful characters were blatant cheaters. I enjoy that aspect of it.

;-) like Alex Rodriguez sneaking a glance at the catcher's signals (Moneyball, anyone?).

And what is with you and using that horrible analogy, "horses of a different color", shortsavage?
Just kiddin with ya.. kinda.
Swinger
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby kentx12 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:58 pm

Erboes wrote:Cheating is part of the fabric of the game. Some of the most colorful characters were blatant cheaters. I enjoy that aspect of it. Gambling, though, is very bad news.

I will tell my age here but I remember Gaylord Perry, He was always getting caught doing something.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:07 pm

Swinger wrote:;-) like Alex Rodriguez sneaking a glance at the catcher's signals (Moneyball, anyone?).

I was just reading that passage last night ;-).

Swinger wrote:And what is with you and using that horrible analogy, "horses of a different color", shortsavage?
Just kiddin with ya.. kinda.

If it was good enough for the Wizard of Oz, it is good enough for me. I am sorry that you think it is "kinda horrible".
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Erboes » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:58 pm

kentx12 wrote:
Erboes wrote:Cheating is part of the fabric of the game. Some of the most colorful characters were blatant cheaters. I enjoy that aspect of it. Gambling, though, is very bad news.

I will tell my age here but I remember Gaylord Perry, He was always getting caught doing something.

Gaylord and his brother Jim in Indians' uniforms were some of my earliest baseball memories. I remember trying to stay up to listen to a west coast game in which Gaylord was going for his 15th or 16th win in a row (I couldn't do it). Maybe that's why I have a soft spot on my heart for the baseball rule stretchers.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Blue » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:59 pm

kentx12 wrote:

do not forget Phil Niekro
Big Blue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers