Where have you gone, Robinson Cano? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where have you gone, Robinson Cano?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jbauer2485 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:43 am

I watch every Yankee game and I'd say the whole Carew comparison has gotten to his head. He looks lazy when he swings this year and even lazier when it comes to running out ground balls. The progress he made last year with his patience at the plate is completely lost and he swings at every single pitch now, even if it's 5 feet out of the zone.

If Joe Torre was a good manager who manages "personalities" he would have been benched by now, especially after one instance where he thought the grounder was a foul ball and failed to run it out.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattgini » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:21 am

rotoauthority had something about Cano . . . his line drive pct. is really down this year, that may portend a drop in BA.

Still, remember that he had his best months later in the season last year. The young man can hit. It's still only April.

When you watch him, I like how he never looks overmatched at the plate.

30 HR's might be a bit much. He can and will hit 20-25.

Matt
Phils Phan since 1976
mattgini
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby josebach » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:49 am

I didn't draft Cano not because I thought he was going to be a bust, but because he was going around the fifth round in most drafts. As a general rule, I make sure a guy has performed at the level of where I draft him at least once before I pick him up. I personally think drafting a guy in the fifth round that's never broken the top 100 in fantasy production is too much of a risk. Now If he was around in the 10th or maybe even the 9th round, I would have given him shot.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

re

Postby captoats85 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:48 pm

I took Cano 97th - 37th in the redraft rounds as its a 10 team league with 6 keepers each, a total of 60. I remember the person picking at 100 wanted Cano - at this point, I wish he had him.

It would be an incredible waste to cut Cano (especially over an in-season FA add in K.Greene) ... but it has almost been as wasteful to be using him with the way he's hitting.

I probably was looking for ~.290-25-85 rbi-95 runs from Cano this year and down the road.

I'm a Mets fan too - when's the last time you saw a Mets fan overrate (not sold on that...) a Yankee?

I was torn between Cano and McCann. Only one 2B eligible guy would go in the next 40 picks (Hall) while McCann ended up going a round later. I ended getting Rickie Weeks 100 picks AFTER Cano. He was the Brady Quinn of my league.
captoats85
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers