A few questions from a new guy ???????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A few questions from a new guy ????????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A few questions from a new guy ????????

Postby Ron Badger » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:21 pm

I have a few questions for all the fantasy experts out there.

1.If he is healthy this year, should I consider taking Randy Johnson in the first round this year?

2.Should I rate Met's 2B/SS Jose Reyes as a top 5 second base sleeper? Reyes had 47R, 5HR, 32RBI, 13SB, .307AVG. He played in 69 games and had 274AB last season.

3.Is Nick Johnson a top 10 first baseman now that he is playing for the Expos?

4.Now that Vlad Guerrero is an Angel, will it help or hurt the Angel's new RF Jose Guillen's fantasy value?

Thanks guys.
Ron Badger Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Erboes » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:29 pm

1) You can get Johnson later. Probably late third or early fourth. Spend you first on something else.

2) Reyes is a top 5 2b sleeper, but not a top 5 rated 2b. I'd give the kid another year or two to settle in then you have something.

3) I think it's a bit too early to say for sure about Johnson. I like the kid a lot, but there's some tough competition for the top 10 at 1B. It could happen, but with his injury history I think I'd rather take a chance on a Sweeney.

4) Yes, in my opinion, Guillen will take a bit of a hit. The reason being, they've got to get some at bats for their bench OF's, and they certainly aren't to sit Guerrero or Anderson. Salmon (at DH) and Guillen both lose a couple bucks in my book. You would think a trade would be possible, but Salmon isn't moveable and Guillen just signed. If anyone goes, it would have to be Anderson and I find that hard to imagine.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ramble2 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:44 pm

Ron Badger wrote:I have a few questions for all the fantasy experts out there.

1.If he is healthy this year, should I consider taking Randy Johnson in the first round this year?

2.Should I rate Met's 2B/SS Jose Reyes as a top 5 second base sleeper? Reyes had 47R, 5HR, 32RBI, 13SB, .307AVG. He played in 69 games and had 274AB last season.

4.Now that Vlad Guerrero is an Angel, will it help or hurt the Angel's new RF Jose Guillen's fantasy value?

Thanks guys.

1. No. But he's still really really good.

2. Depends on what you mean by sleeper. Who are your other 2B sleepers? I think Reyes is a good risk for MI, and probably top 5 sleeper at 2B (though probably not top 5 2B overall). The biggest risk is whether he'll end up at 2B.

3. Probably not. The following are all preferable:

Pujols
Helton
Giambi
Delgado
Thome
Sexson
Huff
Palmeiro
Thomas
D. Lee
Ortiz
Sweeney
Bagwell

I'm a big Johnson fan though. Should put up solid numbers, but nothing spectacular. Let's hope his wrist holds up.

4. Good question. I'd say help. How's that saying go? A rising tide lifts all ships. Except Guillen won't be playing RF - that honor will go to Guerrero (I believe). Guillen and Anderson will play left and center (don't know who will play what yet). Salmon will DH, and Erstad will play 1st. This will help Erstad and Salmon stay healthy, and get everyone the ABs. Don't expect 30+ HRs from Guillen, though. He's no longer knocking balls out of The Great American Ballpark.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Re: A few questions from a new guy ????????

Postby kentx12 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:29 pm

Ron Badger wrote:I have a few questions for all the fantasy experts out there.

Thanks guys.

yo ushould not take Johnson 1st round. You can get him later.

Reyes is not a top 5 2nd baseman I have him ranked 9th overall.

I dont believe Johnson is anywhere near the top 10.

Guillen will probably put up decent fantasy numbers but I dont expect them to be anywhere near where they were last year.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:31 pm

Erboes wrote:1) You can get Johnson later. Probably late third or early fourth. Spend you first on something else.

2) Reyes is a top 5 2b sleeper, but not a top 5 rated 2b. I'd give the kid another year or two to settle in then you have something.

3) I think it's a bit too early to say for sure about Johnson. I like the kid a lot, but there's some tough competition for the top 10 at 1B. It could happen, but with his injury history I think I'd rather take a chance on a Sweeney.

4) Yes, in my opinion, Guillen will take a bit of a hit. The reason being, they've got to get some at bats for their bench OF's, and they certainly aren't to sit Guerrero or Anderson. Salmon (at DH) and Guillen both lose a couple bucks in my book. You would think a trade would be possible, but Salmon isn't moveable and Guillen just signed. If anyone goes, it would have to be Anderson and I find that hard to imagine.

Pretty solid thinking.... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:41 pm

RJ is an extremely bad investment this year, IMO. 3rd or 4th round you can get a nice top SP like Zito or Mulder or whoever. There is absolutely no reason to gamble a round 3-4 pick on someone like RJ who can easily blow up in your face like he did last year to all who drafted him. Just not worth the risk factor even if he ends up paying off. Just my opinion though, but I would let him be someone elses concern.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:44 pm

I would say:

1. No. You can get him later.
2. No. He is not top 5 but is a nice 2B sleeper.
3. No. He is a nice sleeper but 1B is deeper than ever.
4. As of right now, I don't know what to think of Guillen's value. I was never too high on him in the first place. While there might be a trade in the near future, they are pretty stacked at OF/DH. It might look like Guillen (LF), Anderson (CF), Vlad (RF), and Salmon (DH). Erstad would go to 1B.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Ron Badger » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:58 pm

Since Johnson joined Arizona in 99, he has had 17 or more wins, a 2.64 or lower ERA, and 334 or more K's a season, until he got hurt last season. So if he is 100% this season does no one think he will return to his former awsomeness as a #1 pick?
Ron Badger Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kentx12 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:04 pm

Ron Badger wrote:Since Johnson joined Arizona in 99, he has had 17 or more wins, a 2.64 or lower ERA, and 334 or more K's a season, until he got hurt last season. So if he is 100% this season does no one think he will return to his former awsomeness as a #1 pick?

I do believe he will be back close to those numbers but I also believe that he will be forgotten about till late in the 2nd or early in the 3rd round.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:12 pm

kentx12 wrote:
Ron Badger wrote:Since Johnson joined Arizona in 99, he has had 17 or more wins, a 2.64 or lower ERA, and 334 or more K's a season, until he got hurt last season. So if he is 100% this season does no one think he will return to his former awsomeness as a #1 pick?

I do believe he will be back close to those numbers but I also believe that he will be forgotten about till late in the 2nd or early in the 3rd round.

Exactly. No one is doubting that he can get back to close to his old self. I have 2 reasons for my no:

1. I like more of a sure thing out of a 1st round pick.
2. He can be had probably in the 3rd round.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers