Batting order question. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Batting order question.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:54 pm

Barring an injury to Lofton, he will not be leading off. That is pretty much a given after his Captain K routine last season and into the playoffs.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:07 pm

Erboes wrote:I'm not worrying about Soriano. I don't have him; hence, I don't give a damn. I'm just trying to fine-tune my projections, so I wanted to get the opinions of the crack staff here at the Cafe just how many at bats I should deduct. I still think he'll get at least half his at bats at leadoff, so I'll just lop off about 60 or so and adjust his numbers accordingly.

I don't project him to bat anything but leadoff. I won't believe it until I see it from the yankees page myself. I think he'll have more at bats then last year...about 680-690
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Big Blue » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:11 pm

when deciding on individual players that close to each other in value I do look at lineup spot, strength of lineup, and league
Big Blue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:48 pm

trevisc wrote:
Erboes wrote:I'm not worrying about Soriano. I don't have him; hence, I don't give a damn. I'm just trying to fine-tune my projections, so I wanted to get the opinions of the crack staff here at the Cafe just how many at bats I should deduct. I still think he'll get at least half his at bats at leadoff, so I'll just lop off about 60 or so and adjust his numbers accordingly.

I don't project him to bat anything but leadoff. I won't believe it until I see it from the yankees page myself. I think he'll have more at bats then last year...about 680-690

Just what would lead you to this conclusion because they did not sign Lofton to be a 2-hole hitter and have Captain K whiffing out of the 1 slot?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby trevisc » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:56 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
trevisc wrote:

Just what would lead you to this conclusion because they did not sign Lofton to be a 2-hole hitter and have Captain K whiffing out of the 1 slot?

Lofton is insurance for Bernie. I think he'll split time with him. I think Tony Clark might get some time at DH too. We'll see but until I see it from Torre then i'm putting Soriano at leadoff.

if you have proof otherwise then let me see it.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:03 am

Unfortunately Torre does not dicsuss his plans wth me. :)

Lofton is playing full time be it in the OF or as DH. He was indeed signed as insurance for Bernie who is likely to see a lot of DH time. But Lofton is playing as who do you think is hitting as the DH/CF if not Lofton on a full time basis now that NJ is gone? Lofton is going to bat. Tony CLark is strictly to spell Giambi as we all know he blows and is not going to get regular time.

So where do you bat Lofton if not leadoff? What would make you think that Torre actually likes Soriano in the leadoff role? Jeter is a better 1 solt hitter than Captain K. Now that they have a guy in Lofton that fills the 1-slot role, Jeter can stay at 2 and Soriano be moved down in the order. Whether that is 8 or 6 or 5 I have no idea and specualtion is that he bats 8th strictly to keep the speed guys together.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mtarail » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:06 am

I only see Soriano batting at the bottom of the lineup if he continues the sub-par performance that he displayed in the second half of last year. I don't see that happening and I don't see him starting the year at the bottom of the lineup.

I think the Yankees were trying to punish him last year to create an incentive to get out of his rut. But thinking long-term what benefit is there to putting a guy who can hit for average and power AND steal bases in a part of the lineup where the hitters around him are least likely to bring him home? None, so I only see him getting back at the bottom of the lineup if he can't get his average over .270 (in which case Soriano owners will be pissed that they used a high draft pick on him in the 1st place.)
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:21 am

TheYanks04 wrote: Jeter is a better 1 solt hitter than Captain K. Now that they have a guy in Lofton that fills the 1-slot role, Jeter can stay at 2 and Soriano be moved down in the order. Whether that is 8 or 6 or 5 I have no idea and specualtion is that he bats 8th strictly to keep the speed guys together.

see..i think it makes more sense to bat lofton in the #8 hole so Soriano can drive him in.

Until we get it from the yankees we don't know anything.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:28 am

Anything is possible, but I just do not see Torre continuing with Captain K out of the leadoff role. With that lineup, he will get better run producing opportunities at 8 than at 1 as Boone blows. At 8 he gets guys like Matsui, Posada and Bernie hitting in front of him. And if Torre really wants run production out of Soriano, he could bat him 5 behind Sheffield and in front of Bernie...or 6th between Bernie and Posada, both switch hitters. Lots of options for Torre. Leadoff man is not a role well suited for Soriano, so I do not see why he would choose that one now.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:30 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Anything is possible, but I just do not see Torre continuing with Captain K out of the leadoff role. With that lineup, he will get better run producing opportunities at 8 than at 1 as Boone blows. At 8 he gets guys like Matsui, Posada and Bernie hitting in front of him. And if Torre really wants run production out of Soriano, he could bat him 5 behind Sheffield and in front of Bernie...or 6th between Bernie and Posada, both switch hitters.
Lots of options for Torre. Leadoff man is not a role well suited for Soriano, so I do not see why he would choose that one now.

keep me posted if you see anything on the "Yes" network..

;-D
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers