Wladimir Balentien - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Wladimir Balentien

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wladimir Balentien

Postby King Tim » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:23 am

I'm thinking about adding this guy to my minors squad. What do you guys think about him?

He is only 22 yrs old in AAA showing + power. 47 bombs the las 2 years, although he played in hitters leagues in A and AA....currently .359 with 5 homers for Tacoma.

With the current OF situation in SEA and Adam Jones also at AAA does this guy even get a shot at breaking in?
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ChipperJonesFanatic » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:04 am

Who would you drop? I have pegged him as a sleeper. He has shown power, but I would say he becomes a 20 HR hitter. It will be tough to get him in the OF unless Guillen doesn't get his option exercised and Ichiro doesn't resign.
Member #4 Of "The Official Zack Greinke Fan Club"
ChipperJonesFanatic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby King Tim » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:14 am

16 team 7 ML roster

With Pence getting called up I have an open spot.

I'm looking at Wlad or Ty Clippard
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WTP » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:51 pm

Balentien has much more than 20-HR power. He's a very similar hitter to Wily Mo Pena, except he's shown marked improvement in his contact and discipline the last two years.

Wlad has as much raw power as anyone in the minors. He's got a very high upside with the bat, but is a significant risk as well. He's looking less risky each year though, and that's a great reason to keep tabs on him, or to take a chance on his recent development.
Warning Track Power: Find me now at Crooked Pitch for keeper/dynasty focused info!
WTP
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby King Tim » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:48 pm

Wlad with another bomb tonight

.384 avg 6 hr 19 rbi

flying under the radar
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Shizane » Tue May 01, 2007 10:52 am

Here's a write-up on Wlad.....these guys know their M's:

Moving up the ladder, Wladimir Balentien just finished his best Matt Tuiasasopo impression. The grip-it-and-rip-it outfielder has toned down his swing somewhat and is making better contact, leading to an impressive .365 average. He’s still got some flaws in his swing and will never be confused for a patient hitter, but he’s not the swing-from-the-heels hack he was in recent years. The improvement isn’t as large as the numbers make it seem, since this hot streak is being driven by a lot of singles, but it’s still nice to see Wlad getting better as a hitter. His defense still isn’t very good, so his value will come from his bat. As a right-handed pull hitter, he’s not a perfect match for Safeco, so it will be curious to see how the M’s handle him if he continues hitting through the summer

http://www.ussmariner.com
Shizane
College Coach
College Coach

Postby King Tim » Thu May 03, 2007 5:38 pm

Shizane wrote:Here's a write-up on Wlad.....these guys know their M's:

Moving up the ladder, Wladimir Balentien just finished his best Matt Tuiasasopo impression. The grip-it-and-rip-it outfielder has toned down his swing somewhat and is making better contact, leading to an impressive .365 average. He’s still got some flaws in his swing and will never be confused for a patient hitter, but he’s not the swing-from-the-heels hack he was in recent years. The improvement isn’t as large as the numbers make it seem, since this hot streak is being driven by a lot of singles, but it’s still nice to see Wlad getting better as a hitter. His defense still isn’t very good, so his value will come from his bat. As a right-handed pull hitter, he’s not a perfect match for Safeco, so it will be curious to see how the M’s handle him if he continues hitting through the summer

http://www.ussmariner.com

thanks for the info ;-D

walk of slam last night.......I picked him up today

.367 7 hr 23 rbi 6 sb. He seems to have good speed as well, stealing 14 in 121 last year and 6 already this year.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Wladimir Balentien

Postby theclefe » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:20 pm

Now available on Yahoo. What are the keeper projections for this guy?
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Re: Wladimir Balentien

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:45 pm

is he gonna get any playing time? Adam Jones has hard enough time getting even 1AB a game...
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Minor League & College Baseball