Rich Hill vs. John Maine - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rich Hill vs. John Maine

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:30 pm

I have a sneaky feeling that people are going to start hitting Hill hard. The guy throws straight 89-91 mph fastballs with a 6-12 hook. Doesn't seem like electric stuff to me.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:33 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:I have a sneaky feeling that people are going to start hitting Hill hard. The guy throws straight 89-91 mph fastballs with a 6-12 hook. Doesn't seem like electric stuff to me.

He is power pitcher. Fastball has decent enough movement and with his ridiculous curve, he has the tools to be very successful.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:48 pm

Yoda wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:I have a sneaky feeling that people are going to start hitting Hill hard. The guy throws straight 89-91 mph fastballs with a 6-12 hook. Doesn't seem like electric stuff to me.

He is power pitcher. Fastball has decent enough movement and with his ridiculous curve, he has the tools to be very successful.

What power pitcher throws 92 tops? He's tremendous at hitting his spots, but I haven't seen much movement on his fastball.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LukeW9027 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:08 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

What power pitcher throws 92 tops? He's tremendous at hitting his spots, but I haven't seen much movement on his fastball.

I disagree about him having a 12-6 curveball. It has tremendous break, but it also has alot of slider type movement unlike a Zito curve. When you are labeling lefties, the standard of power pitchers are lessened. D-Train only throws low 90's and is usually in the upper 80's yet I would image he is a "power pitcher"
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby nolanwood » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:24 pm

I think Hill has been effective for the following reasons:

1. his nasty hook

2. location

3. dropping down, succesfully catching batters off guard on occasion

4. mixing in a quality changeup

5. his fastball at 91-92 is quick enough, and catches guys swinging hard high in the zone
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby converge241 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:27 pm

Hill is better

Maine is nice and all but only thing in his favor is the better homepark for a pitcher and not enough to swing it to his side

both are looking good though ;-D
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby tgalv » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:36 pm

i didn't realize Hill was from Milton, Mass until recently, even though i had him on a bunch of teams last year. the homer glasses would have FORCED me to draft him on every team :-D
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby converge241 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:02 pm

all a bonus! ;-D
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:11 pm

Hill.

Maine still has done great, and likely will keep up the success to the tune of a sub-4.00 ERA and 15+ wins with 160K's over 180 IP. He's definitely a quality arm but Hill is likely the better pitcher.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers