Buster Olney is reporting that Joe Torre job is in jeporady - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Buster Olney is reporting that Joe Torre job is in jeporady

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jbones733 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:45 am

Cashman is a disgrace, w all those resources he has made some horrendous moves, j Wright, Pavano, Farnsworth, S Karsay, trading Contreras, can't even think of one good signing he made
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zevon » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:09 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:I rather see Cashman gone

While no one can be held responsible for the injuries that have depleted the staff, only Cashman can be held responsible for doing nothing about it. If the yanks scapegoat Joe, Fine, but just who do they think they might find to do a better job?
Girardi?

I kinda like the Jeter as a player/coach idea - maybe he could bench A-Rod. :-b
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jbauer2485 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:36 am

Diggs wrote:Torre manages a bullpen like Dolan and Isiah Thomas manage a basketball team. In the late 90's he didn't have to manage; it was a given. Guys like Stanton, Mendoza, Nelson, Mariano, etc all had defined roles. This guy pitched the 7th, this guy pitched the 8th, this guy pitched the 9th; and they were all dominant.

Now that Joe has to actually manage .... he is being exposed. :-t

The sad part is that he's been exposed every year for the last 5 years or more.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jbauer2485 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:43 am

zevon wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:I rather see Cashman gone

While no one can be held responsible for the injuries that have depleted the staff, only Cashman can be held responsible for doing nothing about it. If the yanks scapegoat Joe, Fine, but just who do they think they might find to do a better job?
Girardi?

I kinda like the Jeter as a player/coach idea - maybe he could bench A-Rod. :-b

I would love Girardi as a manager. He seems very intelligent based on what I've heard when he comes in as a color commentator, not to mention his success with the Marlins last year.

I don't think you can blame Cashman at all. He had very little to work with this offseason and has only been given full control of the Yankees for about 2 years. Very hard to change the pitching rotation overnight, especially when the only option was signing Zito for 100 million 8-o . Let's not forget that everyone assumed the max bid for Matsuzaka would be 25-30 million, really not his fault that Boston decided to blow them out of the water. Besides that there was really nothing the Yankees could have gotten that would have helped the team.

As for Torre, if he knew how to manage a pitching staff, the Yankees would probably have at least 3 more wins this year. He doesn't seem to understand the idea of a long-man. You can't take out your starters at the first sign of trouble in the 5th inning every single night and use every single bullpen arm each game. The bullpen being worn out right now is Torre's fault, no one else.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:55 am

I think Torre could salvage the season if he would only bat A-rod 8th.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby jbauer2485 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:07 pm

jbones733 wrote:Cashman is a disgrace, w all those resources he has made some horrendous moves, j Wright, Pavano, Farnsworth, S Karsay, trading Contreras, can't even think of one good signing he made

How many of those were actually Cashman's moves? Farnsworth for sure. Pavano too I think. All the others I believe were the Tampa group making decisions. Can't fault him for those two players who are out with constant injuries. He's also made a lot of good moves, Aaron Small, Shawn Chacon, Brian Bruney, Bobby Abreu...etc.

Let's not forget that Cashman wanted to sign Vlad (George wanted Sheffield), and he also wanted Schilling (George wanted RJ). Oh, and he managed to turn one of the worst farm systems into a top 5 system in about 2 years. If he had his way for many years this team would be unbelievable right now.

The current state of the rotation\team is George Steinbrenner's fault, not Cashman's.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:14 pm

Yoda wrote:Do we really need Olney to tell us that Torre's job is on the line? Isn't it pretty obvious given George's impatience?

Years ago, I would have agreed. Steinbrenner is much more patient now and defers to his baseball people. Working against Torre is the fact that Swindall is now out of the picture. Torre isn't going anywhere.

I don't like the panic moves that Torre has made so far.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:17 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Yoda wrote:Do we really need Olney to tell us that Torre's job is on the line? Isn't it pretty obvious given George's impatience?

Years ago, I would have agreed. Steinbrenner is much more patient now and defers to his baseball people. Working against Torre is the fact that Swindall is now out of the picture. Torre isn't going anywhere.

Patient or completely senile?
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jbauer2485 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:19 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

What panic moves has Torre made so far?

He's made some pretty dumb in-game managing the last few years, but if anything, he's way too calm at this point to suggest there have been panic moves.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:24 pm

Torre is aweful at managing the bullpen. He basically destroys arms. Look at tom gordon, he appeared in 159 games over two season in his mid thirties.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers