Derrek Lee - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Derrek Lee

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby byfrcp » Fri May 04, 2007 3:27 pm

Can you imagine what he's going to have to hit for the rest of the year to end at .280? Something like .230 te rest of the way. I think at this point he's a lock for at least .325-.330.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri May 04, 2007 3:29 pm

byfrcp wrote:Can you imagine what he's going to have to hit for the rest of the year to end at .280? Something like .230 te rest of the way. I think at this point he's a lock for at least .325-.330.

At this point the issue shouldn't be:

Is he really as good a hitter as he was in the beginning of 2005?

It should be:

Is he perhaps the best hitter in the NL right now?

Leave completely alone in the forgotten darkness of bad ideas the issue of:

Will he hit .300?
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Ender » Fri May 04, 2007 3:29 pm

I haven't seen very good arguments from the people saying that he's going to hit 30 HR at the most. Their main argument was that he only hit 19 in the 2nd half of '05 (which they forgot to do the math and find out that that is 38 over a season).

The second half is shorter than the first half, so thats actually pace for 40+ HR's.

Last year I figured he'd hit .300 with 40 HR, this year I didn't have him quite so high because you never know how someone is going to come back from an injury. I don't think .300 with 40 HR is out of the question if he's healthy all year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby byfrcp » Fri May 04, 2007 3:43 pm

Who's the better hitter in the NL right now;

Matt Holliday
or
Derrek Lee

This question is rhetorical as I have both of them on my team :-D
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby cookman » Fri May 04, 2007 3:52 pm

Ender wrote:
I haven't seen very good arguments from the people saying that he's going to hit 30 HR at the most. Their main argument was that he only hit 19 in the 2nd half of '05 (which they forgot to do the math and find out that that is 38 over a season).

The second half is shorter than the first half, so thats actually pace for 40+ HR's.

Last year I figured he'd hit .300 with 40 HR, this year I didn't have him quite so high because you never know how someone is going to come back from an injury. I don't think .300 with 40 HR is out of the question if he's healthy all year.

He's absolutely killing the ball right now. .417 BA. OPS of 1.091 to start the day, and he's 2/3 with a HR today. His one out was a gap shot almost to the warning track that Church had to make a great basket catch to rob him of an easy double and another RBI. 12 game hit streak, 8 game double streak. On base in every game this year. And, with the way he's been smoking doubles lately, his power is going to come back soon.

Must be the 'roids. ;-7

Edit: 2/3, BB, HR, 2 RBI. Good day, although the longest doubles streak in over 50 years is officially over.
Last edited by cookman on Fri May 04, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cookman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri May 04, 2007 3:55 pm

cookman wrote:
Ender wrote:

I'm thinking he's an early candidate for MVP. If the season ended today, that's who it'd be hard to argue against that consistency.

I think he'll be in the conversation this year.

He's absolutely killing the ball right now. .417 BA. OPS of 1.091 to start the day, and he's 2/3 with a HR today. His one out was a gap shot almost to the warning track that Church had to make a great basket catch to rob him of an easy double and another RBI. 12 game hit streak, 8 game double streak. On base in every game this year. And, with the way he's been smoking doubles lately, his power is going to come back soon.

Must be the 'roids. ;-7

Oops, didn't mean to quote that and then contribute nothing. I guess the main thing to point to is the doubles streak. The power is certainly going to come and his wrist definitely looks strong. The sky is the limit for Lee this year.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Millhouse » Fri May 04, 2007 4:56 pm

HR today, 2-3, 2 RBI, still mashing.....he's just locked in right now.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby Laean » Fri May 04, 2007 5:33 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:He's only hitting .426 right now guys, by the time this hot streak ends and he reverts to career averages, he's only going to be hitting like, I don't know .340 by the end of the year... :-b

(.290ish my rear end)

he hit an average of .378 overall in first three months of 2005, and still hit only .335 overall for the season because he hit .287 in the 2nd half. he may hit .340 at the end of this year, but it isn't a ".290ish my rear end" lock that he does after just one month of 2007.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thedude » Fri May 04, 2007 5:36 pm

His BABIP is crazy high right now, which is driving his batting average. It while regress to the mean eventually and he his batting average will drop off some.

"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby cookman » Fri May 04, 2007 5:41 pm

Laean wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:He's only hitting .426 right now guys, by the time this hot streak ends and he reverts to career averages, he's only going to be hitting like, I don't know .340 by the end of the year... :-b

(.290ish my rear end)

he hit an average of .378 overall in first three months of 2005, and still hit only .335 overall for the season because he hit .287 in the 2nd half. he may hit .340 at the end of this year, but it isn't a ".290ish my rear end" lock that he does after just one month of 2007.

Alright, dude. This is getting ridiculous. I'll bet you a thousand dollars he ends the season with a BA above .290. He only hit .335 on the year. :-b Yeah, and he only hit 46 HR that year. Freakin bum.
cookman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers