Anyone else in the STL area see La Russa's press conference - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone else in the STL area see La Russa's press conference

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Rounders » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:35 pm

I haven't read it, but I assume it's probably stuff Cards fans bring up to Cubs fans all the time - it's just that now it's the media bringing it up. La Russa doesn't want to disturb the baseball gods 1 season removed from a World Series - especially since they've lost the majority of their pitching, they need the baseball gods on their side.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hersch223 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:41 pm

Rounders wrote:I haven't read it, but I assume it's probably stuff Cards fans bring up to Cubs fans all the time - it's just that now it's the media bringing it up. La Russa doesn't want to disturb the baseball gods 1 season removed from a World Series - especially since they've lost the majority of their pitching, they need the baseball gods on their side.

This couldn't be more true.........
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JTWood » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:15 pm

knapplc wrote:Cards fans kill me. You pick the worst team in baseball and say "We're better than you." ;-7

I don't consider the Cubs to be rivals anymore. I can't stand losing to the Astros.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:22 pm

JTWood wrote:
knapplc wrote:Cards fans kill me. You pick the worst team in baseball and say "We're better than you." ;-7

I don't consider the Cubs to be rivals anymore. I can't stand losing to the Astros.

Really? I definitely consider the Cubs to be our rivals... but I agree, I hate the Astros more and more every year...
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:38 pm

Who won more h2h games last year, the Cubs or the Cardinals? The Cubs won 2 matchups last year...Cincinatti and St. Louis...

Link

I do have a lot of respect for the Cardinals organization, last year I was on vacation in San Diego and finished my book so I figured I'd get whatever baseball book had the best words/ $$$ ratio and read "The Spirit of St. Louis", a history of the team. Congrats on winning when it counted, even if you couldn't beat us.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby rainman23 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:53 pm

Here's the original article. Hard to see what the excitement's about. It pretty much sucks.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:03 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:Congrats on winning when it counted, even if you couldn't beat us.

And I'm sorry you couldn't win win it mattered, even though you beat us.

:-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Rounders » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:37 pm

JTWood wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:Congrats on winning when it counted, even if you couldn't beat us.

And I'm sorry you couldn't win win it mattered, even though you beat us.

:-D

We couldn't win when it didn't matter either. But at least I was at the 4th game of the 4 game sweep of the Cards last year. Too bad i couldn't make it to the first sweep.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby puckyou21 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:48 pm

knapplc wrote:
Before you go pointing to the scoreboard let me ask a question - if the Cards are so much better than the Cubs, why are the Cubs the Cards' main rival? It's like Goliath choosing David for his opponent. Wouldn't a team that is God's Gift to Baseball be better served by choosing a better, cooler arch-rival?

Cards fans kill me. You pick the worst team in baseball and say "We're better than you." ;-7

Sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me. First of all, it's not like Cards fans are the only ones calling this a rivalry. Second, wouldn't you think there's a bit of history involved here? Third, I'd say geographic location has something to do with it. Sounds like you're grasping for straws here. :-B
"He who forgets will be destined to remember" -Ed Vedder
puckyou21
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:10 pm

puckyou21 wrote: Sounds like you're grasping for straws here. :-B

That's a distinct possibility... :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye