Anyone else in the STL area see La Russa's press conference - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone else in the STL area see La Russa's press conference

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jealousblues » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:53 am

Come on Bernie's a nice guy.

What happened (as far as I can tell) is The Post Dispatch had an article that was a poem about the Cubs as kind of a joke (in fact writers from both cities kind of do this periodically to jibe eachother and stoke the rivalry).
Anyway Tony saw it as a cheap shot and refused to answer any questions from the Post, then (alegedly) he badmouthed a very respected write from the Post (one who is going into the hall of fame)
and basically yelled and threw a fit and thats when Bernie got upset (from what I can tell).
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Posts: 2471
Joined: 6 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:53 am

Here's the MLB link..this link is for the story but there is audio on that same page
http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070428&content_id=1934507&vkey=news_stl&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl
Image
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1681
Joined: 9 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nolanwood » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:22 am

Bernie is an obnoxious moron - his articles are pure crap.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 464
Joined: 5 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:31 am

jealousblues wrote:Come on Bernie's a nice guy.

What happened (as far as I can tell) is The Post Dispatch had an article that was a poem about the Cubs as kind of a joke (in fact writers from both cities kind of do this periodically to jibe eachother and stoke the rivalry).
Anyway Tony saw it as a cheap shot and refused to answer any questions from the Post, then (alegedly) he badmouthed a very respected write from the Post (one who is going into the hall of fame)
and basically yelled and threw a fit and thats when Bernie got upset (from what I can tell).


It wasn't a poem- it was a front page story making fun of the Cubs and their history. I love to make fun of the Cubs, but even I thought it was a bit tasteless. I'm not outraged by the fact they ran it as a front story, but I thought it was kind of a stupid idea. The Post Dispatch is absolute crap though, this is something I would expect from it. I think Bernie has his moments, where he can be a good columnist, but I also think sometimes he's very obnoxious.

By the way, for anyone who has been seeing Mikalaz on TV and in the paper, etc. recently, am I losing my mind or did he lose about 200 pounds and then gain it all back within like a year? I swear he lost a bunch of weight once, but I dont know.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1961
Joined: 2 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The good old Midwest

Postby Rounders » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:42 am

And then their former team mate handled them for the 2nd time this week. And that was the worst pitcher the Cubs have going in the series - Zambrano and Hill to follow.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 898
Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hersch223 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:01 pm

Rounders wrote:And then their former team mate handled them for the 2nd time this week. And that was the worst pitcher the Cubs have going in the series - Zambrano and Hill to follow.


99 years. 'Nuff said.
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 268
Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:17 pm

hersch223 wrote:
Rounders wrote:And then their former team mate handled them for the 2nd time this week. And that was the worst pitcher the Cubs have going in the series - Zambrano and Hill to follow.


99 years. 'Nuff said.


Before you go pointing to the scoreboard let me ask a question - if the Cards are so much better than the Cubs, why are the Cubs the Cards' main rival? It's like Goliath choosing David for his opponent. Wouldn't a team that is God's Gift to Baseball be better served by choosing a better, cooler arch-rival?

Cards fans kill me. You pick the worst team in baseball and say "We're better than you." ;-7
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7870
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Postby hersch223 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:16 pm

knapplc wrote:
hersch223 wrote:
Rounders wrote:And then their former team mate handled them for the 2nd time this week. And that was the worst pitcher the Cubs have going in the series - Zambrano and Hill to follow.


99 years. 'Nuff said.


Before you go pointing to the scoreboard let me ask a question - if the Cards are so much better than the Cubs, why are the Cubs the Cards' main rival? It's like Goliath choosing David for his opponent. Wouldn't a team that is God's Gift to Baseball be better served by choosing a better, cooler arch-rival?

Cards fans kill me. You pick the worst team in baseball and say "We're better than you." ;-7


Well, they're rivals because of how close they are to each other. Yeah, the Royals are closer, but in a different league. The two fan bases overlap, which is what really makes the rivalry what it is. Kinda obvious, really.

I never said the cards were "God's Gift to Baseball". They're clearly not one of the top teams in baseball, just as they weren't the best team last year. I know this and willingly admit it. And the Cubs are not the worst team either. La Russa knows this, and that's why he got upset over the article, it makes his team look stupid when they lose. It's pretty clear that the Cards are certainly not Goliath, and the Cubs are not David. Even if that was true, didn't David kill Goliath.......... :-?
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 268
Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:28 pm

hersch223 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
hersch223 wrote:
Rounders wrote:And then their former team mate handled them for the 2nd time this week. And that was the worst pitcher the Cubs have going in the series - Zambrano and Hill to follow.


99 years. 'Nuff said.


Before you go pointing to the scoreboard let me ask a question - if the Cards are so much better than the Cubs, why are the Cubs the Cards' main rival? It's like Goliath choosing David for his opponent. Wouldn't a team that is God's Gift to Baseball be better served by choosing a better, cooler arch-rival?

Cards fans kill me. You pick the worst team in baseball and say "We're better than you." ;-7


Well, they're rivals because of how close they are to each other. Yeah, the Royals are closer, but in a different league. The two fan bases overlap, which is what really makes the rivalry what it is. Kinda obvious, really.

I never said the cards were "God's Gift to Baseball". They're clearly not one of the top teams in baseball, just as they weren't the best team last year. I know this and willingly admit it. And the Cubs are not the worst team either. La Russa knows this, and that's why he got upset over the article, it makes his team look stupid when they lose. It's pretty clear that the Cards are certainly not Goliath, and the Cubs are not David. Even if that was true, didn't David kill Goliath.......... :-?


No, I know you're not saying they're GGtBB, I'm exaggerating to prove a point. And yeah, David did kill Goliath so it's a poor analogy - the Cards have had better years than the Cubs in over 60 of the 98 years since the Cubbies last won the Series. :*)

I guess I have a bee in my bonnet because I'm in a league with two Cards fans and they've been riding me for years, and I'm tired of the Cubs/Cards rivalry.

It doesn't help that my team's organization is a bunch of bumbling idiots sometimes, too. :-/

And as far as that article about the Cubs goes from the Post-Dispatch, I read it and I didn't think it was that bad, but then that's stuff I've been hearing about for years now. To me it's no big deal.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7870
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:32 pm

Is there video of this anywhere? All I can find is audio.
Image
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: scarnicease and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Jul. 28
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Diego at Atlanta
(12:10 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact