WFAN Confirms - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WFAN Confirms

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:38 pm

You know, I don't like Clemens. It borders on hate. Now, Yankee fans know why; he did this to the Sox, too. He said he only wanted to pitch in Houston, closer to home. Well, that didn't happen. He took the money and ran, then engineered the trade to our hated rivals. The guy is cold.

But, I have to give him a little credit for only taking $5 million. Not bad.

I just can't wait to see him hit.

(For the record, though, I'm not an unfeeling bastard. I did--partly out of respect, partly because we were up--give him a standing O at Yankee stadium at Game 7.)
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moose » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:04 pm

Yeah its only 5 million but the contract is terrific. They are going to use a flex rotation so that Clemens only pitches once on short road trips and twice on long ones. Then he's going to pitch every 4 days at home. Plus, he doesnt have to travel with the team except for the series he's pitching in. Supposedly the rest of the Astros were fine with it so that he can stay home with his teenage sons as much as possible.
moose
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:16 pm

moose wrote:Yeah its only 5 million but the contract is terrific. They are going to use a flex rotation so that Clemens only pitches once on short road trips and twice on long ones. Then he's going to pitch every 4 days at home. Plus, he doesnt have to travel with the team except for the series he's pitching in. Supposedly the rest of the Astros were fine with it so that he can stay home with his teenage sons as much as possible.

Why cheapen your legacy for that? If he wants to be a player, then be a player. If not, then stay home with the kids. No problem either way. Just pick 1.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby timkell » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:25 pm

I'm a Yanks fan, and I'm not disgusted with Clemens.

The guy said he was 100% retired because he never envisioned a contract like this as even remotely possible. How could he?

He wanted to retire because he wanted to spend time with his kids. With this deal, he can do both.

Why not say yes? He can move into number two in strikeouts and top 15 in wins, and he gets to stay home for most of the year.

Oh yeah, he also gets $5 million. What would you guys do for $5 million? A lot more than Clemens is doing, I'm sure.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:43 pm

timkell wrote:Oh yeah, he also gets $5 million. What would you guys do for $5 million? A lot more than Clemens is doing, I'm sure.

But I also didn't get a $10 million bonus from the Yanks only to be able to make another $10 million in salary from them last year. He is a big boy who can do what he chooses but I think this cheapens his legacy.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby L0rdB23 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:50 pm

moose wrote:Yeah its only 5 million but the contract is terrific. They are going to use a flex rotation so that Clemens only pitches once on short road trips and twice on long ones. Then he's going to pitch every 4 days at home. Plus, he doesnt have to travel with the team except for the series he's pitching in. Supposedly the rest of the Astros were fine with it so that he can stay home with his teenage sons as much as possible.

where did u hear this.. according to espn clemens said he wants to be treated like every other member of this team otherwise he wouldnt have accepted a contract with special treatment
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:56 pm

Ok, I get first dibbs in the pool as to when the Clemens Yankeeographies are permanaently destroyed by YES Network...should be sometime today.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:34 pm

And I guess this squashes all of his talk about going into the Hall as a Yankee. :-D
Lofunzo

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:08 pm

Lofunzo wrote:And I guess this squashes all of his talk about going into the Hall as a Yankee. :-D

He should go in as a Blue Jay! 2 of his best seasons came in Toronto, so why not!!!! If Toronto ever starts 'BlueJayographies' I bet we'd have him shown all the time...comon Roger, you know you hate NY and Boston ;-D

(Maybe wishful thinking.....but it could happen :-B )

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby timkell » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:30 pm

Lofunzo wrote:But I also didn't get a $10 million bonus from the Yanks only to be able to make another $10 million in salary from them last year. He is a big boy who can do what he chooses but I think this cheapens his legacy.

It may cheapen his legacy, but he's got legacy to burn.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers