WFAN Confirms

Postby ssjl » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:49 pm

Clemens signs with Astros-announcement later
ssjl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:52 pm

espn.com confirms it. one year 5 million.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby timkell » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:25 pm

$5 million? Seems awfully cheap. Score one for the Astros.

I wonder if it will be one of those "home games only" deals.

No chance for top 10 all time in wins, but he should definitely move up to top fifteen.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tlef316 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:32 pm

unbelievable!! as much as a i appreciate what rocket has done, i think this is very dishonest of him. last year he got the whole fairwell treatment and MLB spent millions of dollars to document his final year. he got gifts, ceremonies and now he is deciding to change his mind. i realize that everyone is free to do what they want, but he said he was 100% done, not 100% done unless i can pitch in houston.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:41 pm

tlef316 wrote:unbelievable!! as much as a i appreciate what rocket has done, i think this is very dishonest of him. last year he got the whole fairwell treatment and MLB spent millions of dollars to document his final year. he got gifts, ceremonies and now he is deciding to change his mind. i realize that everyone is free to do what they want, but he said he was 100% done, not 100% done unless i can pitch in houston.

I love it!

The Yanks have been doing this for years. They take Mussina from the Os, Wells from the Jays, Clemens from the Jays (ok the Sox) and Weaver from the Tigers. Their starting rotation was bought from their closest competitors and when they run out of AL East teams to pillage they take Contreras from Cuba!

Well done Astros on Clemens and Pettitte. Just too bad they didn't go to an AL East team.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby tlef316 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:57 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
tlef316 wrote:unbelievable!! as much as a i appreciate what rocket has done, i think this is very dishonest of him. last year he got the whole fairwell treatment and MLB spent millions of dollars to document his final year. he got gifts, ceremonies and now he is deciding to change his mind. i realize that everyone is free to do what they want, but he said he was 100% done, not 100% done unless i can pitch in houston.

I love it!

The Yanks have been doing this for years. They take Mussina from the Os, Wells from the Jays, Clemens from the Jays (ok the Sox) and Weaver from the Tigers. Their starting rotation was bought from their closest competitors and when they run out of AL East teams to pillage they take Contreras from Cuba!

Well done Astros on Clemens and Pettitte. Just too bad they didn't go to an AL East team.

I have nothing against the Astros. i think its great that they are improving their team. i just think Roger should have been more honest about his intentions

o yeah, the only guy that yankes "took" was mussina. wells was coming off a crappy year with the white sox, weaver and clemens were traded for. contreras was escaping communist cuba for god sakes. i'll admit that the yanks' spending is out of control, but it bugs me that people give them zero credit, despite the fact that their title teams were built throught the farm system and fair trades.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moose » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:02 pm

HA HA HA

The Yanks finally get Karmic-payback for the David Wells burger joint contract signing. Nice to see the shoe on the other foot.

Although, it was rotten for Clemens not to be more honest with the Yankees. Cause you know he and Pettitte knew he'd play there if Pettitte did.
moose
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby trevisc » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:07 pm

LOL!

isn't America Great!

In any other country they would have shot him

:-]
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:12 pm

I wonder who is more pissed.......Sox fans or George. Sox fans because they gave him a standing O coming off of the mound in Fenway and George for obvious reasons. As a Yanks fan, I am a little upset by this but for different reasons. While I would have liked for him to pitch for the Yanks, if anyone, I feel that last year was a joke. All of the gifts, ceremonies, standing O's (in Boston and Florida), etc. He has cheapened it immensely.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby kentx12 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:21 pm

I love it. Anytime the Yankee's loose someone it is a great day.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers