Clemens choosing between 3 teams... not retirement - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Clemens choosing between 3 teams... not retirement

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby denicola_dominates » Tue May 01, 2007 10:39 pm

he is waiting to see which teams are within reahc of playoff spots by early may correct?? is that why he is holding out so long, cuz if so, then of course the yanks is his best selection....
"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." -Yogi Berra

denicola_dominates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue May 01, 2007 11:42 pm

I'm a Red Sox fan, and I hope Clemens goes to Houston if he plays. All that him coming to Boston could do would be to screw up our chemistry in exchange for a little starting pitching depth. I really think we're fine with Schill, Beckett, Dice-K, Wakefield, and Lester as our starters with Tavarez and Snyder as injury backups/spot starters if necessary. There's no reason to pay $10 milion for a #4 guy in our rotation who's still risk. Although if you look at his stats, his ERA was 2.30 last year. That's pretty good....
Hmm, it wouldn't be horrible if the Sox grabbed him (and I'd like to see them grab him if they have to to keep him off the Yankees), but I also won't be too angry if they send him to Houston. Lester and Wakefield are fine at the back end of the rotation....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Wing_Kei » Wed May 02, 2007 12:26 am

YardBirds wrote:I still think he's Boston or Houston.... he would fit it nicely with the BoSox to make a dominant pitching roster...

Clemens
Schilling
Beckett
Dice-K
Wakefield

Thats championship pitching... and with the way Boston is playing right now, may be his best shot for another championship.

With the Yanks completely healthy...

Clemens
Moose
Pettitte
Wang
Hughes (Igawa)

I just don't see the dominance in that rotation.

And Houston is where his heart is, and a terrible division.

The Red Sox rotation looks pretty scary with Clemens. So would this be Houston's rotation with Clemens?

Roy Oswalt
Roger Clemens
Woody Williams
Chris Sampson
Wandy Rodriguez
Wing_Kei
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ScrappyDoo » Wed May 02, 2007 10:04 am

If NY is still scuffling by the end of the month. Which is pretty likely considering their injuries and horrible pitching. I cant see Clemens choosing them.

Your gonna tell me that if the Sox are in 1st place by like 7 games and the Yanks are fighting off the Blue Jays and Devil Rays that he is gonna choose them. Maybe if he joined them he could right the ship. But thats a big maybe.

Maybe if he joined the Red Sox it would be the best rotation in the history of baseball. Im pretty sure he would be more interested in that maybe.

As far as paying him big bucks goes. Its not my money.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Krunk City King$ » Wed May 02, 2007 10:24 am

the cardinals....

!+)
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 14)

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed May 02, 2007 10:28 am

waterproof wrote:In NYC, he'll never have to worry about not pitching a playoff game if he blows a few starts. Boston can run several guys out there before Clemens.

That, and NY won't make the playoffs with the pitching staff they now have, even with Clemens.

denicola_dominates wrote:he is waiting to see which teams are within reahc of playoff spots by early may correct?? is that why he is holding out so long, cuz if so, then of course the yanks is his best selection....

How do you figure? In Early May (now) the Yanks have the worst odds (by far) of the three to make the playoffs.

ScrappyDoo wrote:Maybe if he joined the Red Sox it would be the best rotation in the history of baseball. Im pretty sure he would be more interested in that maybe.

In the HISTORY of Baseball? Um, OK. I like our rotation, but they are not THAT good.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 20)

Postby jbauer2485 » Wed May 02, 2007 10:39 am

It's still early, the Yankees can easily come back to 1st place in a short period of time, and I'm sure he realizes that.

I still think the main factor is who his teammates are. I can't see him not following Pettitte to the Yankees if they're as good of friends as people say.

I'm still going to say he's a lock for NY like I did a few months ago.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ScrappyDoo » Wed May 02, 2007 10:41 am

Obviously Clemens is one of the best pitchers ever. Schilling is a Cy Young caliber pitcher. Obviously Beckett is young, and Dice-K is a rookie. Wakefield is a pretty good #5.

Obviously its a big maybe, because it depends on Beckett and Dice-K's careers, but it might turn out to be one of the best in history when you look back 10 years from now, who knows.

The point is Clemens obviously wants to win a WS. And the Sox will give him the best chance.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jbauer2485 » Wed May 02, 2007 10:56 am

ScrappyDoo wrote:Obviously Clemens is one of the best pitchers ever. Schilling is a Cy Young caliber pitcher. Obviously Beckett is young, and Dice-K is a rookie. Wakefield is a pretty good #5.

Obviously its a big maybe, because it depends on Beckett and Dice-K's careers, but it might turn out to be one of the best in history when you look back 10 years from now, who knows.

The point is Clemens obviously wants to win a WS. And the Sox will give him the best chance.

We're barely into the season, and you've only become the favorites to win the division after a 1 week stretch of great baseball against the injured and slumping Yankees, winning 5\6.

It wasn't even your great pitching that killed us, we lost a lot of the games because your lineup played way over their heads and guys like Crisp and Varitek hit some huge clutch shots. I'd be worried if your top 3 starters shut us down, and they didn't, so we'll see what happens by the end of the year.

As for Clemens "obviously wanting to win a world series," where has he made that statement? He's already won a world series so it's not like he feels like he needs to keep coming back unless he wins one. Coming back like the way he has at age 40+ is an indication that he loves to play the game, and I think we can all agree he'll have the most fun being with Pettitte and the rest of the Yankees that he knows very well.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby denicola_dominates » Wed May 02, 2007 2:03 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:I'm a Red Sox fan, and I hope Clemens goes to Houston if he plays. All that him coming to Boston could do would be to screw up our chemistry in exchange for a little starting pitching depth. I really think we're fine with Schill, Beckett, Dice-K, Wakefield, and Lester as our starters with Tavarez and Snyder as injury backups/spot starters if necessary. There's no reason to pay $10 milion for a #4 guy in our rotation who's still risk. Although if you look at his stats, his ERA was 2.30 last year. That's pretty good....
Hmm, it wouldn't be horrible if the Sox grabbed him (and I'd like to see them grab him if they have to to keep him off the Yankees), but I also won't be too angry if they send him to Houston. Lester and Wakefield are fine at the back end of the rotation....

i agree that the sox have enough pitching potential already...plus they have jonny lester coming back very soon to start yanks desperately need a savior :-t
"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." -Yogi Berra

denicola_dominates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers