Clemens choosing between 3 teams... not retirement - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Clemens choosing between 3 teams... not retirement

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby samjerky » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:15 pm

Yeah, this isn't little league where you've got to show the coach you're committed or you don't get to start. This is a business, and if someone's going to pay him, he can start whenever the hell he feels like it. I'm sure other players understand that as well.
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:44 pm

samjerky wrote:Yeah, this isn't little league where you've got to show the coach you're committed or you don't get to start. This is a business, and if someone's going to pay him, he can start whenever the hell he feels like it. I'm sure other players understand that as well.

What? I understand it's a business, but I think commitment transcends to all levels of the game and doesn't just apply to 12 year olds.

I think players would at least have mixed feelings about the situation especially with how it turned out last year in Houston. They could have used that money on some players that were committed to a whole season rather than a mercenary only out for personal goals and money.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby jfg » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:47 pm

Payne Dailey wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:Is there some reason for this? Is it deer season in Texas or something like that?

Nope, deer season ended a few months ago.

IMO,I think he'll go to the yankees. They'll give him the special treatment he gets from the Astros.

He's forty four and doesn't need the money. He just gets burned out with the MLB grind. So he takes the first two months off then comes to play when it counts the most.

Then retire like a normal person. I think it's setting a dangerous precedent for baseball.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby byfrcp » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:47 pm

You do understand his contract was prorated right?
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:49 pm

jfg wrote:I really hope he doesn't get the money he did last year. A lot of good that did for Houston. If I was on one of the three teams he was considering I would be extremely upset that he was sitting around and just starting to work out now to get ready to play the second half when he could be helping my team. I bet a lot of players who were on Houston last year think that but won't say it.

You can say his career has allowed him the pass here, but I don't think anyone earns the right to play when they feel like it.

All the teams knew from the start that he would only be there in the 2nd half. The alternative is he pitches now and then is useless by the time the playoffs come because he is burned out. I think I'll take the ace with a 2 ERA down the stretch and for the playoffs.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tis » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:53 pm

jfg wrote:
Payne Dailey wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:Is there some reason for this? Is it deer season in Texas or something like that?

IMO,I think he'll go to the yankees. They'll give him the special treatment he gets from the Astros.

He's forty four and doesn't need the money. He just gets burned out with the MLB grind. So he takes the first two months off then comes to play when it counts the most.

Then retire like a normal person. I think it's setting a dangerous precedent for baseball.

Why's that? If esteban loaiza said "nah, i dont want to play the first three months... talk to me in june" he'd be done. Its simple economics, supply and demand... weird things like clemens extra long off-season are simply another type of costs, factored in with the rest. If his product isnt worth it, he wont get it.

Keep in mind too, most people are not signing 1 year contracts, they want job security, they want to cash in on a big season, etc. People in those situations dont have the option of pulling a Roger.

I am assuming you dont have any problem with teams signing a contract for half a year with someone, to replace another player who was injured. How is this any different?
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby byfrcp » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:10 pm

Does he get still get drug tested during this period even though he isn't on any team?

I mean it would made sense to start a cycle and clear it through your system during 2/3 months while the season is going on.

Not saying that he does that...
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:16 pm

jfg wrote:
Payne Dailey wrote:

What does he care about some precedent? Why would he retire when he can come back for a ton of money, still be one of the best pitchers in the league, and not even have to go on road trips when he's not scheduled to pitch? Not to mention the possibility of winning another ring.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby theclefe » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:17 pm

I think Clemens starting the season late is just the beginning. I could see more players doing this down the road as they get older. Players who still have the innate skills, but have lost some of their stamina. Imagine a second free agent signing period at the end of May, with four or five veteran pitchers warming up for the stretch. It would certainly help teams who mistakingly signed Jason Schmidt.

This could become popular.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:21 pm

Clemens is such a prostitute. But then again if his services are in high demand, why not?

I think the Yanks will really push to get him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers