Clemens choosing between 3 teams... not retirement - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Clemens choosing between 3 teams... not retirement

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jbauer2485 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:53 pm

mweir145 wrote:Clemens will go to the team that offers him the most money, and I suspect that will be the Yankees.

Both teams will pay him as much as he wants. Boston isn't the frugal underdog they claim to be.

I think Clemens to the Yankees became a lock as soon as Pettitte joined the club. If they're still in last place by the end of next month I could see him going to another team though.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Field » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:55 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Go to Boston! We'll make room.

He's still a solid pitcher and all, but I don't think I want him in a Red Sox uniform for two reasons.

First, he's pretty much just a 5-6 inning pitcher at this point in his career and the Red Sox don't have enough depth in the bullpen to consistently pick up that many innings (even though the bullpen has been great so far this year)

Second, if the Sox make the Playoffs/World Series, all the focus will be on Clemens. Nothing against Clemens, but thats not something I want to hear about everyday. The staff is good enough as it is, adding another starting pitcher seems a little excessive, especially when you consider a cost-benefit analysis.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby jbauer2485 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:59 pm

Field wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Go to Boston! We'll make room.

He's still a solid pitcher and all, but I don't think I want him in a Red Sox uniform for two reasons.

First, he's pretty much just a 5-6 inning pitcher at this point in his career and the Red Sox don't have enough depth in the bullpen to consistently pick up that many innings (even though the bullpen has been great so far this year)

Second, if the Sox make the Playoffs/World Series, all the focus will be on Clemens. Nothing against Clemens, but thats not something I want to hear about everyday. The staff is good enough as it is, adding another starting pitcher seems a little excessive, especially when you consider a cost-benefit analysis.

As a Yankee fan, before the season started I didn't want Clemens for the same reasons. As of right now though, 6 innings from Clemens would be like a complete game to us. :-o
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby orangecrushv » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:35 pm

I'm not an Astros fan but I'm pulling for Houston, solely because I have Clemens on my bench and I expect more Ks and lower ratios in the NL. ;)

-Rich
orangecrushv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:48 pm

orangecrushv wrote:I'm not an Astros fan but I'm pulling for Houston, solely because I have Clemens on my bench and I expect more Ks and lower ratios in the NL. ;)

-Rich

Agree completely. I think Clemens in the AL East would not be nearly as good as in the NL Central, fantasy wise and in real life.

As a Sox fan, it'd be kind cool to have him (even though he left town like an idiot) for the storybook ending, but it could take away from the rest of the team in the media-insane market that Boston has become. Then again, could it be any worse???

Personally, I think he'll stay with Houston - not for the money (because I think all three teams will pay him the prorated $20M or whatever), but because its the only way that he doesn't piss off two of the three teams. He still has some good will in Boston since he left so long ago, he still has plenty of good will in NY from his time there, and of course he is loved in Houston. If he goes to NY or Boston, he'll be hated by the other and Houston in the process.

Of course, if the records of today hold and Houston and NY are way out of it (doubt they will with the Yanks)... would that give him the excuse he needs to come to the BoSox?
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:22 pm

Is there some reason for this? Is it deer season in Texas or something like that?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Clemens choosing between 3 teams... not retirement

Postby futanto » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:40 pm

Roger Clemens' agent reiterated Friday that Clemens will make his decision regarding where to play this season "by the end of May."
"Roger has been working out and feels good," agent Randy Hendricks wrote in an e-mail. "But he has yet to ramp up his workouts, the kind where he tortures himself. I have been in communication with all three teams and all three are, of course, interested." Apr. 27 - 12:57 pm et

Okay now that it is a certainty he is coming back what will his value be now?
futanto
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:42 pm

Not 18 mill.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Payne Dailey » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:04 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:Is there some reason for this? Is it deer season in Texas or something like that?

Nope, deer season ended a few months ago.

IMO,I think he'll go to the yankees. They'll give him the special treatment he gets from the Astros.

He's forty four and doesn't need the money. He just gets burned out with the MLB grind. So he takes the first two months off then comes to play when it counts the most.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jfg » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:05 pm

I really hope he doesn't get the money he did last year. A lot of good that did for Houston. If I was on one of the three teams he was considering I would be extremely upset that he was sitting around and just starting to work out now to get ready to play the second half when he could be helping my team. I bet a lot of players who were on Houston last year think that but won't say it.

You can say his career has allowed him the pass here, but I don't think anyone earns the right to play when they feel like it.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers